Forum Gun Fiends V3.0 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
KMac
SuperModerateur
 
KMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Location: Huntsvegas
Posts: 43,478
Forum Gun Fiends V3.0

Opening V3.0 to keep load times down.

First two threads found here:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298159

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333426


__________________
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
KMac
SuperModerateur
 
KMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Location: Huntsvegas
Posts: 43,478
Guy at work walked into the shop today with his new DPMS NATO REPR. He was pumped..............until I told him the local gun range is closed until February.



----------> ----------->
__________________

Last edited by KMac; 12-11-2012 at 05:45 PM.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson
 
MANOWAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
Guy at work walked into the shop today with his new DPMS NATO REPR. He was pumped..............until I told him the local gun range is closed until February.



----------> ----------->
That sucks. You can shoot all year round in Detroit. Especially at night.
__________________


PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
WarMachine
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
 
WarMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes: 2003 R1 SPECIAL EDITION
Location: Pflugerville, TEXAS
Posts: 21,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
Guy at work walked into the shop today with his new DPMS NATO REPR. He was pumped..............until I told him the local gun range is closed until February.



----------> ----------->
__________________

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL


"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]
WarMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Meister37
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,109
Dpms repr?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total chick.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
 
fjorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Location: Da northland. Yah.
Posts: 36,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Dpms repr?
http://dpmsinc.com/NATO-REPR_ep_94-1.html
__________________
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6861_1.gif
  • RIP to our fallen brothers. You will all be missed and remembered:
    • crazyclimbr - March 4, 2007
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Meister37
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,109
Meh
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total chick.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
gsxcorey
MummyMan
 
gsxcorey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Bikes: 1999 r1, 07 GSXR 1k
Location: Austin, TX y'all
Posts: 8,638
i thought lwrc made the repr? Others now doing the exact same thing?
__________________
Corey

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Meister37
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
i thought lwrc made the repr? Others now doing the exact same thing?
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I guess they are looking to cash in on LWRCI's name recognition. REPR is just an acronym after all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total chick.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
snoman48
odwit
 
snoman48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes: 2007 R1, 2008 R6
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Meh


I like the furniture, but I'm not thrilled with the DPMS stuff
snoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Meister37
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman48 View Post


I like the furniture, but I'm not thrilled with the DPMS stuff
It's a fine weapon. It's just overpriced IMO. For another 600 bucks you can have the best made.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total chick.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
TwistedSprocket
I get food for your bike.
 
TwistedSprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes: 09 R1
Location: NOLA
Posts: 158
Now that I have finally settled down about the subject I have decided to write a post about it. I have been working a lot lately trying to save up some money for a house, leathers, ext... needless to say I haven't been home very much. After being off shore for nearly two months I got a couple days off due to bad weather. During my short time off I ran a few errands and decided to stop by one of my favorite gun shops. After buying a new holster for my Kimber the phone rang and I had to run home, grab my bags and head out to work on an emergency job. As I went to put away my holster I noticed my Kimber had started rusting!!! It was last cleaned when Issac came through and was still looking new after the storm so I was a bit confused as to how this could have happened. It turns out my roommate turned off my ac when I was gone wanting to cut down on the utility bill. After hearing this I was livid. I feel that with the humidity my things may as well have been left outside.

Due to the circumstances I didn't have much time to inspect the severity of it all. I quickly put it back, grabbed my bags, and ran out the door. It seemed like there might be some slight pitting starting on the smaller replaceable bits. The slide didn't look to bad aside from a little surface rust. I'm just hoping that the rust spots on the frame and in the checkering won't be to bad.

Needless to say dose anyone know any gunsmiths In around my neck of the woods who could refinish it for me? When I get everything all said and done I will be posting before and after photos and write a little review for you guys.

Also since ill be sending it out for a complete overhaul this could be my opportunity to have other things done as well. Any recommendations from the 1911 fans out there? Its a CUSTOM TLE/RL II so as far as color goes I'm leaning more in the direction of keeping it matte black unless someone has an idea that catches my attention.
__________________
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading," -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by TwistedSprocket; 12-12-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: typo
TwistedSprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
 
fjorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Location: Da northland. Yah.
Posts: 36,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedSprocket View Post
Now that I have finally settled down about the subject I have decided to write a post about it. I have been working a lot lately trying to save up some money for a house, leathers, ext... needless to say I haven't been home very much. After being off shore for nearly two months I got a couple days off due to bad weather. During my short time off I ran a few errands and decided to stop by one of my favorite gun shops. After buying a new holster for my Kimber the phone rang and I had to run home, grab my bags and head out to work on an emergency job. As I went to put away my holster I noticed my Kimber had started rusting!!! It was last cleaned when Issac came through and was still looking new after the storm so I was a bit confused as to how this could have happened. It turns out my roommate turned off my ac when I was gone wanting to cut down on the utility bill. After hearing this I was livid. I feel that with the humidity my things may as well have been left outside.

Due to the circumstances I didn't have much time to inspect the severity of it all. I quickly put it back, grabbed my bags, and ran out the door. It seemed like there might be some slight pitting starting on the smaller replaceable bits. The slide didn't look to bad aside from a little surface rust. I'm just hoping that the rust spots on the frame and in the checkering won't be to bad.

Needless to say dose anyone know any gunsmiths In around my neck of the woods who could refinish it for me? When I get everything all said and done I will be posting before and after photos and write a little review for you guys.

Also since ill be sending it out for a complete overhaul this could be my opportunity to have other things done as well. Any recommendations from the 1911 fans out there? Its a CUSTOM TLE/RL II so as far as color goes I'm leaning more in the direction of keeping it matte black unless someone has an idea that catches my attention.
That sucks! Best I can say is to PM bohem3006, IIRC he knows someone who's very knowledgeable about Kimbers and smithing. Unsure about refinishing. But, might be able to give you better info.
__________________
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6861_1.gif
  • RIP to our fallen brothers. You will all be missed and remembered:
    • crazyclimbr - March 4, 2007
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #14
Meister37
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedSprocket View Post
Now that I have finally settled down about the subject I have decided to write a post about it. I have been working a lot lately trying to save up some money for a house, leathers, ext... needless to say I haven't been home very much. After being off shore for nearly two months I got a couple days off due to bad weather. During my short time off I ran a few errands and decided to stop by one of my favorite gun shops. After buying a new holster for my Kimber the phone rang and I had to run home, grab my bags and head out to work on an emergency job. As I went to put away my holster I noticed my Kimber had started rusting!!! It was last cleaned when Issac came through and was still looking new after the storm so I was a bit confused as to how this could have happened. It turns out my roommate turned off my ac when I was gone wanting to cut down on the utility bill. After hearing this I was livid. I feel that with the humidity my things may as well have been left outside.

Due to the circumstances I didn't have much time to inspect the severity of it all. I quickly put it back, grabbed my bags, and ran out the door. It seemed like there might be some slight pitting starting on the smaller replaceable bits. The slide didn't look to bad aside from a little surface rust. I'm just hoping that the rust spots on the frame and in the checkering won't be to bad.

Needless to say dose anyone know any gunsmiths In around my neck of the woods who could refinish it for me? When I get everything all said and done I will be posting before and after photos and write a little review for you guys.

Also since ill be sending it out for a complete overhaul this could be my opportunity to have other things done as well. Any recommendations from the 1911 fans out there? Its a CUSTOM TLE/RL II so as far as color goes I'm leaning more in the direction of keeping it matte black unless someone has an idea that catches my attention.
You have several options out there, and I'd recommend getting a trigger job and get the unit Diamond Coated. Diamond Coating treats the metal and makes it harder and more rust resistant. Find a really good smith though, this is the most important thing you can do. A hack job on the trigger can lead to improper safety operation and possible full auto fire. There's a guy down south somewhere where my gun shop sends their STI's out to get done, and he does some really cool stuff. I'll try to get his name for you.

Got the info:

http://freedomgunworks.com/services.html
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total chick.

Last edited by Meister37; 12-12-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
WarMachine
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
 
WarMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes: 2003 R1 SPECIAL EDITION
Location: Pflugerville, TEXAS
Posts: 21,732
Israeli bullpup and uzi pro coming to the us commercial market soon

http://blog.predatorbdu.com/2012/12/...s-shop-in.html
__________________

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL


"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]

Last edited by WarMachine; 12-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.
WarMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
GPD270
Forum Moderator
 
GPD270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Bikes: 04 ZX-10R Trackbike, 07 GSX-R 750 trackbike, 1 worn out blow up doll!
Location: Greenville NC
Posts: 32,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
It's a fine weapon. It's just overpriced IMO. For another 600 bucks you can have the best made.

That will be one of my next big buys.... LWRC REPR with the 20" barrel.
__________________


GPD270
CCS #270
Trackdays Kickass!!!!!!

RIP Kelly Brown----- K_Flexx 15 June 2006
RIP Crazyclimber----- 4 March 2007
God Speed Glenn(Elvis) We love you! We miss you! 17 June 2007
Chad "GAWarrior" Clifton -- 25 JUNE 08
Kevin "VMAN1300" Varner -- 26 March 09
I miss you guys.


2012 Deals Gap Convention!!!! Dont miss out!
2012 R1 Forum Trackday!!! Be there!

IRISH RACING



So Fast So Clean
GPD270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Meister37
The Lead Farmer
 
Meister37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Location: Indy area
Posts: 25,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPD270 View Post
That will be one of my next big buys.... LWRC REPR with the 20" barrel.
Get the 11.25 twist barrel!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Kirk is a total chick.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
TwistedSprocket
I get food for your bike.
 
TwistedSprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes: 09 R1
Location: NOLA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
You have several options out there, and I'd recommend getting a trigger job and get the unit Diamond Coated. Diamond Coating treats the metal and makes it harder and more rust resistant. Find a really good smith though, this is the most important thing you can do. A hack job on the trigger can lead to improper safety operation and possible full auto fire. There's a guy down south somewhere where my gun shop sends their STI's out to get done, and he does some really cool stuff. I'll try to get his name for you.

Got the info:

http://freedomgunworks.com/services.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
That sucks! Best I can say is to PM bohem3006, IIRC he knows someone who's very knowledgeable about Kimbers and smithing. Unsure about refinishing. But, might be able to give you better info.
Thanks for the advice guys I did a bit of research this morning and it looks like the diamond like carbon coatings Meister37 was talking about will be the best choice. I didn't see anything about DLC coatings on the freedom website but I'll give them a ring anyways when I get home and see what they have to say.
__________________
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading," -Thomas Jefferson
TwistedSprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson
 
MANOWAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Tell that to China.
__________________


PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
JDollaz
Rebel w/ a Cause
 
JDollaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Yorkistan
Posts: 21,158
In for Thread V3...
__________________
R1-013 Lucky 13th Squadron: NY!

Sig Provided by : The Artist formerly know as Petrol !
JDollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum
R1-Forum.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on R1-Forum.com is generated by its users and R1-Forum.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.