Unions dealt a big blow in Michigan : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Unions dealt a big blow in Michigan

http://news.yahoo.com/protesters-mar...054656984.html
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
InfinitiR1
I eat my R1

I'm 50/50 on this. I think there are places where Unions should be and I believe Unions are the ultimate check and balance for private industries *cough *cough Walmart, without big government stepping in with too much oversight. In some states, new employees have to pay Union fees even if they opted to not join them. They still get some Union benefits, but how is that still justifiable? Some Unions are no different than big Corporate.
InfinitiR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
FOGOAR1
Friggin Old Guy On An R1

Bikes: 04 R1
Wow the good people of Michigan can now legally get a job without paying a Union for the privilege of working. How will they be able to handle such freedom?
FOGOAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Glad to see my home state finally move in the right direction.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
It was crazy down there. No love for Snyder that's for sure. People usually focus on the bad side of unions without realizing that union or not those people who abuse the system are still out there in almost every company. My job is not union and we still have dirt bags who take advantage. I wish we didn't need unions but there are certainly a number of companies out there who would jump on the chance to line there own pockets and ****k over the worker if they could. Walmart for one. CBS for another. It's funny but here in the Detroit area Fox news is the pro union force and CBS is the ones trying to de-certify and CBS treats them like shit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	478404  

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
I'm split on this, the unions have the best training programs so better trained workers. They just keep shooting themselves in the foot with all the bad press and corruption.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
I'm split on this, the unions have the best training programs so better trained workers. They just keep shooting themselves in the foot with all the bad press and corruption.
You must be speaking of only trade unions like Electrical workers, pipe fitters, etc... because I have never seen a single general employee union that trained anybody to do anything other than how to complain, fcvk off, and generally impede production.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
FOGOAR1
Friggin Old Guy On An R1

Quote:
It's kind of funny how Unions consider "Right To Work" an attack on them. Right to Work gives the worker a choice and isn't the Union all about protecting worker rights? Nevermind I'm not that naive...
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

I'd like to know how many of those union workers that are holding the "Fcvk You Snyder" posters are going to voluntarily pay their dues when it's not required.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
You must be speaking of only trade unions like Electrical workers, pipe fitters, etc... because I have never seen a single general employee union that trained anybody to do anything other than how to complain, fcvk off, and generally impede production.
Craft unions are the only unions that count, the rest are just legal extortion. The first unions were created by skilled craftsmen as community outreach and apprentice programs. Apprentices weren't paid back then. They were paid once they started making their own way. The market drove the need for more craftsmen and they controlled their numbers by market demand. Kind of goes against everything the UAW stands for, eh?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
FOGOAR1
Friggin Old Guy On An R1

Quote:
Craft unions are the only unions that count, the rest are just legal extortion. The first unions were created by skilled craftsmen as community outreach and apprentice programs. Apprentices weren't paid back then. They were paid once they started making their own way. The market drove the need for more craftsmen and they controlled their numbers by market demand. Kind of goes against everything the UAW stands for, eh?
Remember the thirteen UAW workers caught drinking and smoking pot at lunch last year? Arbitration reinstated their jobs today. How's that for extortion?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOGOAR1 View Post
Remember the thirteen UAW workers caught drinking and smoking pot at lunch last year? Arbitration reinstated their jobs today. How's that for extortion?
Hence today's laws. See what happens when you take advantage of collective bargaining?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
FOGOAR1
Friggin Old Guy On An R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOGOAR1 View Post
Quote:
Hence today's laws. See what happens when you take advantage of collective bargaining?
You got that right!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
Quote:
I'd like to know how many of those union workers that are holding the "Fcvk You Snyder" posters are going to voluntarily pay their dues when it's not required.
The same amount that paid after Walker enacted it. Zero

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Jonrone
Decisions

Bikes: S1000RR
Blow to the unions but a benefit to anyone else who works in Michigan.
Jonrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Bizzle72
Amphibious Tinbender

Bikes: 2007 R1
Quote:
I worked for the Post Office for a while before joining the Marines and was a member of the Mailhandlers and then the Postal Workers Union. Both definitely fell under the "complain, fvck off and impede production" type. I actually got told to slow down processing the mail because I would "work myself and everybody else out of a job." However, I have to say management wasn't worth a sh!t either, so I can kinda see both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Bizzle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiR1 View Post
I'm 50/50 on this. I think there are places where Unions should be and I believe Unions are the ultimate check and balance for private industries *cough *cough Walmart, without big government stepping in with too much oversight. In some states, new employees have to pay Union fees even if they opted to not join them. They still get some Union benefits, but how is that still justifiable? Some Unions are no different than big Corporate.
Did you see Carson's Walmart thread yesterday? Fvck me that company is dirty as shit. They could afford to pay their employees more and give all of them health benefits and still be cleaning the $ clock.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
CMRAsloguy
I eat my R1

but what about the twinkies!?!? o, the humanityyyyy
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #19
Judah Ben-Hur
Oh yeah!

Bikes: '72 Honda Z50, '03 Warrior, '09 R1
http://news.yahoo.com/video/steven-c...034956438.html

Typical perception of union workers that will never change. Bullies, thugs, or just plain old douchebags.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #20
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
Did you see Carson's Walmart thread yesterday? Fvck me that company is dirty as shit. They could afford to pay their employees more and give all of them health benefits and still be cleaning the $ clock.
As a business owner, if I get the type of person I want that does the job I need, why should I pay more than needed?

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement