suspension rebuild : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
bigowl313
WASP RIDER

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
suspension rebuild

Can anyone tell me where I can download a video of how to rebuild the 09 forks? Can't find the Dave Moss video?

I plan on installing new springs & revalve. Has anyone done it before? (DIY)
bigowl313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
shane125l
if ya cant dodge it, ram it

Bikes: 09 r1
Graves has a youtube video of their guy servicing josh hayes forks. I donno if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
09 R1 -Jett reflash,PCV w/auto tune/SFM,FMF Apex slipons,Akrapovic Y-pipe,bmc race filter,Roth block offs,ohlins 30mm cartridge kit/ttx rear shock,Krypton 5000k HIDs,666 rear hugger,GYTR DB tinted windscreen,GYTR seat cowl,Pazzo short levers, Smoked integrated tail light,Smoked flush mounts,DID erv3 gold chain,Braking STX front/rear rotors,Tech spec tank grip,Vortex sprockets,sato frame sliders,Shogun swingarm sliders,Euro airbox mod,XSB fan switch,graves clipons
shane125l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
yup, i've done it... at least the springs, i am doing the re-valve this winter...

I have a buddy who is a machinist and has helped me in building the tools I required, as there are several
so it has been really easy... you will definitely need a yamaha made damper rod holder tool in order to get
at the valves, i believe the part number is listed in the yamaha service manual {page 4-60 to 4-70}... also in order to open up the bottom
half of the forks you need an Ohlins tool {cylindrical jaws which hold fork lowers in place} so you'll probably have to take it to a suspension shop as it has to
fit perfectly around the lower fork {inner tube} while you unscrew the cast 'feet' {for lack of a better word haha},
yamaha chose to use a crapload of loctite on these so they'll have to {note the circled area in the pic attached}
heat the axle cast {black parts} with a hand held torch, and thus melt the loctite this way and enable you to unscrew
cast feet from the {inner} fork tube.. i hope that makes sense... lol

at the time i was doing this there was very little info available so we just had to figure it out ourselves,
i cant tell you how many pages i browsed trying to figure it out and in the end i just gave up and went
at it... thankfully both my buddy and I are pretty adept at taking stuff apart so it was relatively easy..

i just found the dave moss video you spoke of, you can purchase it for 5 bucks right off his site

2009-Current Yamaha YZF-R1 Fork Service

Learn to take your forks apart in this suspension service video for a 2009-Current Yamaha YZF-R1. Professional suspension tuner Dave Moss provides detailed step-by-step instructions of taking the fork apart, cleaning the components, replacing the oils seal, polishing the fork tube and reassembling the fork and establishing the correct oil height. The 664mb download is 25 minutes.

http://www.onthethrottle.com/edownloads/

if you're doing the valves i'm assuming you're getting the ohlins FPK 108 fork piston kit... you will actually find pretty damn
good instructions on the install manual for these so its good to check it out even if you're getting something else... i have attached it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	146_0905_16_z+2009_yamaha_YZF-R1+soqi_inverted_fork.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	478426  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MI_FPK108.pdf (1.90 MB, 12 views)

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,

Last edited by bacchus40; 12-12-2012 at 04:38 PM.
bacchus40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement