R1 tail picture frame : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Matt600r
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
R1 tail picture frame

So, this past summer was the first summer without a bike in 11 years. I sold my 2006 R1 last fall and have been missing it since. I have been semi shopping a little bit here and there, and am hoping to snag another bike come spring time.

Now that winter is here (which I hate) I have been trying to find things to keep me busy. My girlfriend came up with a cool idea of using my tail fairing from my actual accident I had on my R1 2 summers ago, as a picture frame. I have an actual picture that I took minutes after the accident so I printed it off on just plain paper to see how this might work.

Too make a long story short, I'm hoping this works out. I just need to buy some photo paper, and also thinking of a way to fit in a piece of glass, or even cut a sheet of plastic to fit over the rear seat hole so it covers the picture, to give it that (REAL PICTURE FRAME) look!

Anyone else ever done this or have any input that might help me make this look a little more clean, just let me know! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	478431  
Matt600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Guate
♠♣♦♥★

Bikes: 13 RSV4--09 R6--14 KTM 690
Guate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Matt600r
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guate View Post
What? You think it's a stupid idea?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Guate
♠♣♦♥★

Bikes: 13 RSV4--09 R6--14 KTM 690
Yep, but that's just my opinion, so carry on.
Guate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Maybe have it portrait and not landscape

I think it could look cool if it is done correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Matt600r
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Maybe have it portrait and not landscape

I think it could look cool if it is done correctly
You mean just a picture of the bike alone? And yes it has to be done correctly or else it will look dumb. I have an image in my head of what I WANT it to look like, however that is yet to be ACTUALLY seen!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Matt600r
I eat my R1

And the picture will most likely be placed on the outside, not on the inside as you see in the picture I posted. This way none of the tabs will be showing. I would like the picture cut to the shape of the rear seat area so it blends nicely with the lines.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Matt600r
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guate View Post
Yep, but that's just my opinion, so carry on.
It's all good! It might not work out at all and I myself might turn around and realize it was a dumb idea. Sometimes how you imagine things to look, don't actually look that way!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Minacious
Death's Handshake

Bikes: They're just bikes, you've seen 'em.
In my opinion, the tail is too busy too serve as a good looking frame, but if you are going to do it, some suggestions.

Like mentioned, have the tail sitting vertically. This will make it more aesthetically pleasing, with both sides being equal. That will also mean the picture being used will need to be one shot in portrait, and not landscape.

Clean the tail up. Remove the tabs and foam. I would also dremel off the protrusions and sand smooth the trunk opening. Since this is going to be the location of the picture, it will look worlds better and not block parts of the image. This will also mean that you will need to throw a few coats of paint on it to finish it off.

So, if you are going to do it, DO IT. Don't just throw an image in the tail. Turn the tail into an appropriate frame, then put an image in it.

Manic-Depressive and my head hurts.
Minacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Trevmo
Ride it like you stole it!

Bikes: 2004 YZF-R1
Bad ass idea! I think you should go for it. It would look really cool in a man cave or a garage. Good thinking!
Trevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Matt600r
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
In my opinion, the tail is too busy too serve as a good looking frame, but if you are going to do it, some suggestions.

Like mentioned, have the tail sitting vertically. This will make it more aesthetically pleasing, with both sides being equal. That will also mean the picture being used will need to be one shot in portrait, and not landscape.

Clean the tail up. Remove the tabs and foam. I would also dremel off the protrusions and sand smooth the trunk opening. Since this is going to be the location of the picture, it will look worlds better and not block parts of the image. This will also mean that you will need to throw a few coats of paint on it to finish it off.

So, if you are going to do it, DO IT. Don't just throw an image in the tail. Turn the tail into an appropriate frame, then put an image in it.
No I hadn't planned on just taping a picture in there and calling it good. This was meant to be a project that took some time and creativity. I want it to look like it was made to be an actual picture frame.

As far as taking off the foam, that's a smart idea. The tabs I wouldn't necessarily need to cut off as I'm putting the picture on the OUTSIDE, not on the INSIDE as you see in the picture I posted, so none of the picture will be blocked. But taking the tabs off and cleaning it up in that way isn't a bad idea either way! :-)

As far as hanging it vertically, I agree that would be the smart way to hang it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmo View Post
Bad ass idea! I think you should go for it. It would look really cool in a man cave or a garage. Good thinking!
Thank you!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Minacious
Death's Handshake

Bikes: They're just bikes, you've seen 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt600r View Post
No I hadn't planned on just taping a picture in there and calling it good. This was meant to be a project that took some time and creativity. I want it to look like it was made to be an actual picture frame.

As far as taking off the foam, that's a smart idea. The tabs I wouldn't necessarily need to cut off as I'm putting the picture on the OUTSIDE, not on the INSIDE as you see in the picture I posted, so none of the picture will be blocked. But taking the tabs off and cleaning it up in that way isn't a bad idea either way! :-)

As far as hanging it vertically, I agree that would be the smart way to hang it. Thanks.
In that case, go for it. Ultimately, it may end up being a really nice looking piece.

Manic-Depressive and my head hurts.
Minacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Bikes: 2000 R1; 1999 R1 trackwhore; Sold: 1999 R1, 2000 Ducati 996, 2007 R6r, 2008 R6s
Why even mount an actual picture to it? Do it with a digital picture frame and that would be badass.

SIG courtesy of petrol!

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron CO
Fikays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
da rza
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 r1 charcoal/blk
use a carbon fiber tail!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
Matt600r
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Why even mount an actual picture to it? Do it with a digital picture frame and that would be badass.
Now THAT, is a great idea. I think I even have one of those cheesy things laying around!

I'm still going to try my way too just for fun and to see if I can actually pull it off and make it look good. But that's a great idea!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Great idea Frank

And if you accidently ruin your project, email Fikays, his back yard is a motorcycle graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #17
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Bikes: 2000 R1; 1999 R1 trackwhore; Sold: 1999 R1, 2000 Ducati 996, 2007 R6r, 2008 R6s
Quote:
Great idea Frank

And if you accidently ruin your project, email Fikays, his back yard is a motorcycle graveyard

Oh wait.

SIG courtesy of petrol!

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron CO
Fikays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #18
Matt600r
I eat my R1

Quote:
Great idea Frank

Well I'd have to ruin it twice as I do have 2 tails. But if that were to happen, I would say just giving up at that point would be a smart idea!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Bikes: 2011 R1, and all the bikes I wish i had
cut up some old leathers and wrap it around an actual picture frame.

Sig by Uncle P

I wish my Dad was alive to see some of the crazy shit I do. RIP Pops
BlackShadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
Trevmo
Ride it like you stole it!

Bikes: 2004 YZF-R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShadow View Post
cut up some old leathers and wrap it around an actual picture frame.
That's a pretty cool idea, too. Especially if you had a picture of the crashed bike to go with.
Trevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement