Unions dealt a big blow in Michigan - Page 3 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #41
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
They need to open up more retail centers. The closest one to me is 45 minutes away with no traffic. 3 Walmarts within 15 minutes. Sucks. At least I can go to Kroger and Marsh.
I shop at Sams, but went to costco the other day for the 1st time. Will probably switch memberships there to give costco a shot...seemed very similar to sams though...only they dont' take mastercard or Discover...amex only for credit. Thankfully I was carrying enough cash at the time

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #42
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
They need to open up more retail centers. The closest one to me is 45 minutes away with no traffic. 3 Walmarts within 15 minutes. Sucks. At least I can go to Kroger and Marsh.
They are expanding. Great quote from that article:

Quote:
"I think they are a company that proves you can treat your employees well and still be successful," he said. "Most companies are only interested in the bottom line."
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #43
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
Walmart has stockholders that have to be considered. Whereas a privately owned company can make any decision they choose, good or bad, a Walmart can't just pay people more money because they feel they should. If they do that, it cuts their profitability and suddenly Target is neck and neck with them (performance-wise) and become more attractive to investors. Walmart is not going to jeopardize that.............ever. They can't.

Beyond that, pay isn't supposed to be based off your family situation. If all Walmart employees have 3 kids, no education, basic skills, average work ethic, etc... why is there any expectation that they should "get" something to equalize them with people who have an education, valuable skills, good work ethic?

Let's not forget that if Walmart makes more profit, they also pay more taxes, it's not just a one-sided equation where Walmart's practices only cause tax burden, they also cause tax revenue.

It boils down to what Meister already said, you can't bitch about Walmart if you're shopping there. You have a choice, and if so many people believe the "what's it going to hurt to pay a little more" theory, then clearly they aren't practicing their own beliefs because Walmart can't be that successful if everybody that claims they don't go there, doesn't go there.
I do go in there every once in a while. I hang my head a little, but somethings you just can't find anywhere else around here. The store near me was 2 years old before I stepped foot in it. Then the specialty store went out of business and..... Yep.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #44
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
I shop at Sams, but went to costco the other day for the 1st time. Will probably switch memberships there to give costco a shot...seemed very similar to sams though...only they dont' take mastercard or Discover...amex only for credit. Thankfully I was carrying enough cash at the time
Amex is my card.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #45
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
They take debit cards which is all I use. If you go with their higher end membership it pays you back. I think I paid $100 for it and made $80 back so only $20 for the year. I have also found their petrol to be as good as Chevron, Exxon, Mobil, etc and always much cheaper. One year I added up the savings and the fuel costs savings in 3 months paid for my membership alone.

Sorry for my bs Costco thread derailment.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #46
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
They take debit cards which is all I use. If you go with their higher end membership it pays you back. I think I paid $100 for it and made $80 back so only $20 for the year. I have also found their petrol to be as good as Chevron, Exxon, Mobil, etc and always much cheaper. One year I added up the savings and the fuel costs savings in 3 months paid for my membership alone.

Sorry for my bs Costco thread derailment.
And all i use is credit cards...but that's neither here nor there. I'll probably give Costco a go, but like I said from my 1 time in there I didn't see a difference in product offerings or staff. Very hard to tell price which one is less expensive.

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #47
WarMachine
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE

Bikes: 2003 R1 SPECIAL EDITION
http://washingtonexaminer.com/articl...6#.UMjnfYPAe47

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL

"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]
WarMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #48
KMac
SuperModerateur

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post

These days record stores are few and far between. Even my local Best Buy's cd area dwindles every year almost down to the nothing. Digital content, itunes, etc, is the name of the game now and good luck trying to compete with it.
I take it you see itunes and other digital content providers as the equivalent of Walmart, then? ....or at least equally objectionable in how they've done it?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #49
Judah Ben-Hur
Oh yeah!

Bikes: '72 Honda Z50, '03 Warrior, '09 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Bullies, thugs, and douchebags all rolled up into one. I guess it's time to add racist to the lot.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #50
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
You must be speaking of only trade unions like Electrical workers, pipe fitters, etc... because I have never seen a single general employee union that trained anybody to do anything other than how to complain, fcvk off, and generally impede production.
No shiot, and even the ones you've mentioned have their negative sides. I do much of my business in NYC and the union electricians are not the most motivated workers!!!!

cyclepsycho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #51
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho7 View Post
No shiot, and even the ones you've mentioned have their negative sides. I do much of my business in NYC and the union electricians are not the most motivated workers!!!!
I am a Union Electrician.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #52
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:
I am a Union Electrician.
I said NY. Not call every one out, don't no what Indy is like but I'm call out NY because I've witnessed it for may years before I decided to take a sales position. We would be working on site for 12-14 hours to get an important job done and the electricians had a given amount of work that needed to be completed and were totally slacking so that when our job was done as expected the other work that need to be finished on their end was not completed and our stuff couldn't get tied in.

cyclepsycho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #53
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
Here's the problem with the Walmart crowd. For the guys saying "quit and work at another retailer" well Walmarts MO is to move into a town drop prices so the little mom and pop retailers can't compete and they go out of business. After a while Walmart is the only retailer in town. For all you business owners what would you do if Walmart moved into your area and started competing with your business? Remember when they started selling groceries and put vision centers in almost every one? They won't be satisfied until they are the only play to buy anything. One in a town near me has an auto center and is actively competing with Firestone now trying to put them out of business. They target anyone they see as competition.

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #54
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
Another Union point of view.

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #55
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
Michigan, yesterday. They collapse the tent on elderly folks and children in the tent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wEvsPlBEFrs

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #56
lobsterhound

My favorite from yesterday. Wearing his union jacket and all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=u_F3oev06i0

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #57
Judah Ben-Hur
Oh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOWAR View Post
Here's the problem with the Walmart crowd. For the guys saying "quit and work at another retailer" well Walmarts MO is to move into a town drop prices so the little mom and pop retailers can't compete and they go out of business. After a while Walmart is the only retailer in town. For all you business owners what would you do if Walmart moved into your area and started competing with your business? Remember when they started selling groceries and put vision centers in almost every one? They won't be satisfied until they are the only play to buy anything. One in a town near me has an auto center and is actively competing with Firestone now trying to put them out of business. They target anyone they see as competition.
That sounds like the MO of any business. The smaller businesses cannot compete in the long run unless they specialize in certain areas. Downtown America said the same thing about the malls popping up all around the country. It's just business cycles and you have to roll with the punches or GTFO. It still comes down to if you don't like them, don't go there.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #58
InkedR1Pilot
my girlfriend likes girls

Bikes: Vman1300's 05 R1
and in todays news..... jimmy hoffa jr tells CNN they are going to start a civil war in michigan

Quote:
Jimmy Hoffa, president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, said Tuesday he expects Michigan unions and lawmakers to break out into "civil war" after the state legislature passed right-to-work bills that would weaken unions' power. "This is just the first round of a battle that's going to divide this state. We're going to have a civil war," Hoffa said

sig by petrol

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
RAMPAGE RACING

InkedR1Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #59
lobsterhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedR1Pilot View Post
and in todays news..... jimmy hoffa jr tells CNN they are going to start a civil war in michigan
This idiot came out and said there would be blood shed over it. Then apparently deleted the tweet. Judging from the video I posted above they are making good on the promise

http://twitchy.com/2012/12/11/as-uni...will-be-blood/

Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #60
Judah Ben-Hur
Oh yeah!

.... and on to further developements.

http://minutemennews.com/2012/12/the...r-obama-visit/

"There will be blood, angrily threatened State Representative Douglas Geiss openly from the floor of the Michigan House of Representatives on Tuesday."

Edit: Another news outlet beat us out on the story.