WTB: 43mm Fork Seal Driver : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Bikes/Parts Wanted Need a part? Looking for a new bike? Ask here!
Please report all unsolicited e-mail as a result of posting here

Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Ridick_Bowen
Stunt it! Crash it! Repair it!

Bikes: R1/R6 Hybrid
WTB: 43mm Fork Seal Driver

Need one for my fork seal job. Someone's got one lying around. Sell it to me.
Ridick_Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
triplestrong

Check Motion Pro or K+L Supply. They'll have what ya need.
triplestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
AnonymousR1
Track addict!

Bikes: 09 R1, 03 R1, 04 CRF-50, 06 R6(sold)
Should have asked Monday when pit posse was having a 50% off cyber Monday sale.

http://pitposse.com/pofosedr.html

-Sig complements of Buddyluv-
AnonymousR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
surfmoto38
your mom

Bikes: 2007 r1
I actually took a pvc pipe with a smaller O.D. cut in half instead of using a seal driver. I was in a bind and worked out great. Just be gentle tapping on the pvc. Also dont forget to deburr the pipe before installation where it was cut.
surfmoto38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
RayJohns
2005 Yamaha R1

Bikes: 2005 R1
Usually you don't even need a seal driver. The PVC pipe cut in half works fine or just anything to seat it gently.

A seal driver is nice to have, but once you use it a couple of times, it becomes clear that you could easily do the job without it also.

The Motion Pro "Ringer" driver is the one I have and it's really nice.

Ray
RayJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
triplestrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJohns View Post
Usually you don't even need a seal driver. The PVC pipe cut in half works fine or just anything to seat it gently.

A seal driver is nice to have, but once you use it a couple of times, it becomes clear that you could easily do the job without it also.

A seal driver is a MUST to ensure you don't damage anything. If you want to eventually ruin a seal or fork tube, do it this ^ way.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
RayJohns
2005 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplestrong View Post

A seal driver is a MUST to ensure you don't damage anything. If you want to eventually ruin a seal or fork tube, do it this ^ way.
It's helpful, but it's not really a must have tool. You can seat the oil seal a number of different ways if you get right down to it - using some PVC pipe or in some cases a large socket works.

I have a video on YouTube where I rebuild my Ohlins FG43 forks. Here's a link that jumps to the section where I install the oil seal in the fork tube. As you can see, you can almost do it by hand without any tools. I do use a seal driver and I'm not saying it's not a good tool, but it's not a must have item by any stretch. It helps quite a bit to put some heat on the tube before installing the seal also.

Jump to 53:30 in the video to see the part where the oil seal is installed. Or click the link at the top of the video there

Ray

Last edited by RayJohns; 12-01-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
triplestrong

The fork seal goes on the inner tube first, not installed in the outer tube first.
Use some thin plastic (the bag the seals came in, perhaps) to cover the leading edge of the inner tube, this will protect the seal lips from getting damaged while you slide it on. Install inner tube in the outer tube. Clamp seal driver around inner tube. Use the seal driver to install the seal into the outer tube, then install the clip, then the dust seal. All three parts (dust seal, clip, and main seal) should be on the inner tube prior to installing the inner tube to the outer. Your way will work in a pinch and only if absolutely necessary, but it's not common practice. Especially when you already have the proper seal driver. Sorry to thread jack, carry on.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
RayJohns
2005 Yamaha R1

Quote:
The fork seal goes on the inner tube first, not installed in the outer tube first.
Use some thin plastic (the bag the seals came in, perhaps) to cover the leading edge of the inner tube, this will protect the seal lips from getting damaged while you slide it on. Install inner tube in the outer tube. Clamp seal driver around inner tube. Use the seal driver to install the seal into the outer tube, then install the clip, then the dust seal. All three parts (dust seal, clip, and main seal) should be on the inner tube prior to installing the inner tube to the outer. Your way will work in a pinch and only if absolutely necessary, but it's not common practice. Especially when you already have the proper seal driver. Sorry to thread jack, carry on.
Yeah, both ways work just fine. The main thing is to avoid any damage to the seal during installation.

The Motion Pro ringer seal driver is a very good tool to have handy, that's for sure.

Ray
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
RayJohns
2005 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Use some thin plastic (the bag the seals came in, perhaps) to cover the leading edge of the inner tube, this will protect the seal lips from getting damaged while you slide it on.
And the plastic bag trick you mention above is definitely great advice - that works well to protect the seal.

I also use that same basic method to help protect the anodized pre-load adjuster in the video above when I took the fork cap off.

Great tip

Ray
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Ridick_Bowen

Pick one up off ebay for cheap.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
YzRacer212
I rocked in Iraq

Bikes: 2008 R1 Raven
Quote:
It's helpful, but it's not really a must have tool. You can seat the oil seal a number of different ways if you get right down to it - using some PVC pipe or in some cases a large socket works.

I have a video on YouTube where I rebuild my Ohlins FG43 forks. Here's a link that jumps to the section where I install the oil seal in the fork tube. As you can see, you can almost do it by hand without any tools. I do use a seal driver and I'm not saying it's not a good tool, but it's not a must have item by any stretch. It helps quite a bit to put some heat on the tube before installing the seal also.

Jump to 53:30 in the video to see the part where the oil seal is installed. Or click the link at the top of the video there

Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADRNjEnGPvI&t=53m30s

Ray, where do you get your Ohlins parts? I have some leaky seals to replace.
Arata Full System, PC3R, Graves flushmounts, Arata Rearsets, Brembo MC, Corbin Seat, Spiegler SS Lines, Graves Cam, Clip Ons, Velocity Stacks, AIS Block offs, Slide Stops, STM Slipper Clutch, Marchesini Forged Magnesium Wheels, Ohlins Shock

2008 R1 Raven
ASV Levers, Greggs Flushmounts, DID 520 Chain, Arata Full System, Gilles Rearsets.

2006 YZF450: DR.D Carbon exhaust, ASV levers, RG3 triple clamp, Excel Wheelsets, Doug Henry Graphics
YzRacer212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
RayJohns
2005 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YzRacer212 View Post
Ray, where do you get your Ohlins parts? I have some leaky seals to replace.
I purchased mine from Kyle Racing in Seaside, CA.

http://www.kyleusa.com/

Give them a call and they should be able to fix you up. Just let them know which Ohlins forks you have. Dan Kyle will usually know right off the bat.

You can also order directly from Ohlins USA. They have a sales department which can help you out. Call their US number and ask for motorcycle parts sales or something and they should be able to ship you the parts. I usually just deal with Kyle USA, because they are right down the street and I'm always over there buying parts or tweaking the bike, etc.

Ray
Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
YzRacer212
I rocked in Iraq

Quote:
I purchased mine from Kyle Racing in Seaside, CA.

http://www.kyleusa.com/

Give them a call and they should be able to fix you up. Just let them know which Ohlins forks you have. Dan Kyle will usually know right off the bat.

You can also order directly from Ohlins USA. They have a sales department which can help you out. Call their US number and ask for motorcycle parts sales or something and they should be able to ship you the parts. I usually just deal with Kyle USA, because they are right down the street and I'm always over there buying parts or tweaking the bike, etc.

Ray
Thanks for the info!
Arata Full System, PC3R, Graves flushmounts, Arata Rearsets, Brembo MC, Corbin Seat, Spiegler SS Lines, Graves Cam, Clip Ons, Velocity Stacks, AIS Block offs, Slide Stops, STM Slipper Clutch, Marchesini Forged Magnesium Wheels, Ohlins Shock

2008 R1 Raven
ASV Levers, Greggs Flushmounts, DID 520 Chain, Arata Full System, Gilles Rearsets.

2006 YZF450: DR.D Carbon exhaust, ASV levers, RG3 triple clamp, Excel Wheelsets, Doug Henry Graphics
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
RayJohns
2005 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
You're welcome.

Which Ohlins' forks are you rebuilding? I have a spare set of oil seals that are in good condition for the FG43 forks.

Ray
Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #16
YzRacer212
I rocked in Iraq

Quote:
You're welcome.

Which Ohlins' forks are you rebuilding? I have a spare set of oil seals that are in good condition for the FG43 forks.

Ray
I am trying to figure out what model they are. I am away from home, but a buddy looked at the forks and the only number he could find was 9630 stamped on one of them. It sounds like 43mm is the common size, and on the Kyle Racing site it says the seals fit all 43mm models. Maybe you can tell from the picture?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-t...02%2520R12.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02%2520R12.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	478505  

2008 R1 Raven

Last edited by YzRacer212; 12-14-2012 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
deadbanana0717
I eat my R1

Why do i not live in Cali =(... its depressing thinking about it. even more depressing driving to work LOLOL! sigh sigh sigh! =)
deadbanana0717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Ridick_Bowen

Women, weed & weather..............................
Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
YzRacer212
I rocked in Iraq

I am starting to think the common R&T forks for my model were all 43mm, even though I can't find a part number I saw that Kyle's has a set of 43mm that fit all Ohlins 43mm forks, sounds like a safe bet.

2008 R1 Raven

Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #20
YzRacer212
I rocked in Iraq

Quote:
I am trying to figure out what model they are. I am away from home, but a buddy looked at the forks and the only number he could find was 9630 stamped on one of them. It sounds like 43mm is the common size, and on the Kyle Racing site it says the seals fit all 43mm models. Maybe you can tell from the picture?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-t...02%2520R12.jpg

Anyone want to guess which forks these are? I think I may contact Kyle's and see what they recommend.

2008 R1 Raven

Sponsored Links
Advertisement