HOW TO: Make Any R1 Seat More Comfortable - Page 21 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

How To's Please post your detailed How To's threads in here. They'll be of big help to owners of the R1.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #401
indianfighter
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1
So I took off the seat pan today. It seems that rear protusion is used for locking onto the seat pan. If I chop that off what will hold the foam to the seat pan? Can I shave off foam from the top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #402
headshake1
Lean Junky

Bikes: 08 R1 - Black
I just did this mod today on my 08 as I'm sick of my arse being in pain from the seat. It's not so much from the canyons as it is when I need to slab it on the way home - major saddle soreness.

It's not a difficult task and it took me about 2 hours start to finish, including having to go pick up a staple gun from the local hardware store. I used a "Powershot 5700" staple gun (pic 1) and I recommend you stay away from using this particular gun. I don't know if I need to figure out a secret technique for it but the staples don't go in well and I had to re-do a few and/or try to squeeze them down with a plier since many only inserted about halfway. This extended the time for this job considerably and I would've been done sooner had I had a better staple gun. Also, I used 1/4 inch staples.

Pic 2 shows the seat cover and foam removed, which I did by taking a small center punch tool to the staples holding the cover on the seat pan then carefully seperating the foam from the seat pan. I think they used some adhesive from the factory to glue the foam to the pan so be careful when removing it as you don't want the thin edges of the foam to tear. I did follow the OP's instructions and left the back staples attached to the pan. It wasn't necessary to remove the whole cover to get the foam out and leaving the staples in the back attached helped when it was time to put the cover back on.

Pic 3 shows the cut-out I made, which was about 1/2 inch of material starting from the back of the foam. As I worked my way towards the middle, the depth of the material decreased. So I gradually cut less material as I moved forward. I also cut off a piece of memory foam from a cushion I had and glued it to the front so as to create a bit more padding in that area which levels out the seat even more and provides added cushioning for the precious jewels.

I then placed the cushing back into the seat pan and worked the cover back over the pan and stapled it down, pulling the edges as hard as I could to avoid having creases on the top of the seat. I found it helpful to first fit the cover over the foam and pan and get and idea of how everything fits together. Then I started from the back and worked my way forward. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, you'll want to take your time with this part.

Pic 4 and 5 show the seat back on the bike. As you can see, there is no difference in the appearance. I wasn't able to go for a ride but I did sit on the seat and seemed to experience the effect that others who have done this describe: the slope of the seat from the rear is noticeably lessened and the seat takes on more of a concave shape rather than convex shape it had before. This is because removing some of the foam from the middle of the seat enables the seat to sink into the pan when you climb aboard. This takes the pressure off the bones beneath each butt cheek which become painful from being in the saddle too long.

I'm not sure how the cover will hold up from the foam being more "squishy" but from the other posts, it seems that it isn't an issue. I can't wait to test it out properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat mod.3.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	478442   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat mod.2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	478443   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat mod.1.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	478444   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat mod.4.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	478445   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat mod.5.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	478446  

headshake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #403
indianfighter
I eat my R1

Has anyone done this to a 2011? I opened up my seat and there is no protrusion or lump of foam like shown in the OP's pics. What's going on? I don't know what to do now, there is hardly anything to cut off? I'm trying adding foam to the front to see if it helps. Any advice?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #404
headshake1
Lean Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianfighter View Post
Has anyone done this to a 2011? I opened up my seat and there is no protrusion or lump of foam like shown in the OP's pics. What's going on? I don't know what to do now, there is hardly anything to cut off? I'm trying adding foam to the front to see if it helps. Any advice?
I don't know what the underside of your year seat looks like. If you post a pic maybe I can identify the area you should cut away for you. Mine wasn't like the OP's either. I think if you have any amount that you can trim from the rear/middle of the seat than doing so will create the effect you need, which is reducing the slope from the rear to the front and making the seat contour more nicely to your underside.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #405
indianfighter
I eat my R1

Hope these pics help. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355424588992.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	478460Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355424607623.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	478461

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #406
headshake1
Lean Junky

Quote:
Hope these pics help. Attachment 478460Attachment 478461

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
You got the exact area we all cut drawn out OK but it does seem that there isn't that much foam material that is portruding on yours. I had about a 1 inch portrusion under the foam seat; the OP and others had more depending on the year of their bikes. What would you say yours measures to approximately? It's hard for me to see from the angle your pics are at. I only cut about 1/2 inch off but it made the seat more cushiony and level.

Maybe the seats for your year don't have the issue the others have. Does yours have a high slope, pushing you forward toward the tank especially on braking? Do you find your arse is painful after longer rides? It could be the issue has been resolved in your year. Or, it could be the seat is designed differently so that you have to make some other type of alteration to make it more comfortable.

Here's a link to a mod that someone did which alters the top of the seat as opposed to the underside the way this one does; maybe it will work for you
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...light=gel+seat
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #407
BozUK
English R1 rider!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshake1 View Post
I just did this mod today on my 08 as I'm sick of my arse being in pain from the seat. It's not so much from the canyons as it is when I need to slab it on the way home - major saddle soreness.

It's not a difficult task and it took me about 2 hours start to finish, including having to go pick up a staple gun from the local hardware store. I used a "Powershot 5700" staple gun (pic 1) and I recommend you stay away from using this particular gun. I don't know if I need to figure out a secret technique for it but the staples don't go in well and I had to re-do a few and/or try to squeeze them down with a plier since many only inserted about halfway. This extended the time for this job considerably and I would've been done sooner had I had a better staple gun. Also, I used 1/4 inch staples.

I'm not sure how the cover will hold up from the foam being more "squishy" but from the other posts, it seems that it isn't an issue. I can't wait to test it out properly.

Hi headshake1 I've also done my R1 07 seat as you have, but went one step further and added a thinnish layer of foam over the top of the seat pad to make it more comfortable. I have a mint spare black seat that I picked up off Ebay very cheaply so didn't have much to lose, but my variation on a theme seems to have worked out ok.

Variation on headshake1's method:

The twin layer foam I used was a camping mat I had doing nothing and they are available very cheaply from stores or Ebay, as shown in the 1st picture, it's 5/16 inch (7.5mm) thick. I removed the seat pad carefully from its frame and cut the unwanted foam out from the underneath of the seat pad which can be seen below in the 2nd picture that shows the depth of cut. I also glued a piece of foam between the seat frame and pad. I then glued the seat pad back into its frame using contact adhesive in a few areas so it stayed put and didn't move around.

I then cut the foam out large enough to cover the seat pad and run a line of contact adhesive done the middle of the seat pad and the foam, but just short of the ends, you'll see why further on, see picture 3. I then waited until the contact adhesive was dry and ready to be pressed together. Then started to stick the foam onto the seat pad in the middle working towards each end to exactly follow the contours of the seat pad. Do the same with the front each side pulling down on the foam before you stick it in place it is stretchy and easily manipulated, again don't glue up to the edges as you will need to glue the edges down last.

Before you do the same to the back I thought I'd try to keep it standard and make a 'V' shaped cut out in the foam as per the original. Now you must use the contact adhesive again to stick the back half of the foam down, again avoiding the edges but not over the back of the seat pad sides as shown in picture 4 as it'll be difficult shaping around the back side edges unless you cut the foam. Now the foam is stuck to the seat pad you can now apply the contact adhesive all around the edges, wait until it goes off and stick the edges down.

You now need to trim the foam edges up to match the contours of the seat pad edges, but avoid going over the front edge of the seat pad as shown in picture 4 as you'll hit problems with tank clearance. I used a sharp pair of scissors, you could also use a Dremel or a craft knife. Take your time blending the foam into the contours of the seat pad, this is very important or you could have lumps and bumps showing through the seat cover once fitted.

Once the foam is blended and contoured correctly you can replace the seat cover for a trial fit. Don't miss this step as you might find that more of the foam needs trimming from the seat pad. Once your happy with the shape and fit you can now fix the seat cover back on with a heavy duty staple gun and 1/4 inch (6mm) staples.

Fitting the cover back on is a pain in the a$$ of a job just as the seat was before this modification!! This is because of the added thickness it can be difficult to pull the cover where you want it, but gentle use of a heat gun on the cover can help. I worked from the back of the seat pad where I'd already left the staples in to the front first pulling the cover as tight as you can between the two points to get a good fit around the sides. The sides were done starting at the rear of the seat pad.

Picture 5 and 6 shows a front and rear view of the newly modded seat and an original seat, the original is on the right in both pictures, as you can see by it's thinner profile!!

I hope this helps a few fellow R1 07/08 riders out, even though I'm yet to try the seat on on the road as the weather in the UK is crap at the moment! Sitting on the bike with the seat fitted you can feel it doesn't push you into the tank as much, and the seat feels more padded and comfortable.

I can't wait to try it out on the road and will post back once I do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	478477   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	478478   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	478479   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	478480   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	478481  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	478482  
BozUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #408
headshake1
Lean Junky

[QUOTE=BozUK;5420402]Hi headshake1 I've also done my R1 07 seat as you have, but went one step further and added a thinnish layer of foam over the top of the seat pad to make it more comfortable. I have a mint spare black seat that I picked up off Ebay very cheaply so didn't have much to lose, but my variation on a theme seems to have worked out ok.
QUOTE]

Nice...looks like one comfy seat. Post up after trying it. I might add your step to mine.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #409
DouglasyzfR1
Sir Douglas

Bikes: 03 R6- Bike Heaven 03 R1- Sold 08 R1- Current
This will have to be another thing I do during the winter. Nice write ups.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #410
indianfighter
I eat my R1

Quote:
You got the exact area we all cut drawn out OK but it does seem that there isn't that much foam material that is portruding on yours. I had about a 1 inch portrusion under the foam seat; the OP and others had more depending on the year of their bikes. What would you say yours measures to approximately? It's hard for me to see from the angle your pics are at. I only cut about 1/2 inch off but it made the seat more cushiony and level.

Maybe the seats for your year don't have the issue the others have. Does yours have a high slope, pushing you forward toward the tank especially on braking? Do you find your arse is painful after longer rides? It could be the issue has been resolved in your year. Or, it could be the seat is designed differently so that you have to make some other type of alteration to make it more comfortable.

Here's a link to a mod that someone did which alters the top of the seat as opposed to the underside the way this one does; maybe it will work for you
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...light=gel+seat
There is no material protruding on my foam at all; the seat foam thickness looks uniform all through the seat. Also, the underside of the foam had specially designed groves and pits that lock into the seat pan. Cutting those off may destabilise the foam fitment?

I don't have much of a long distance discomfort problem as I don't really do many long distance rides; my problem is sliding to the front under heavy braking. I ride on the track mainly and want to get rid of that ass high up in the air feeling, my legs aren't strong enough to hold me back under heavy braking all through the day at the track. This seat has the weirdest slope from all the bikes I've ever owned.

I've given it to a seat maker to add foam just to the front and change the cover to see if that helps. If not then I'll have to take some drastic steps.

Any advice?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #411
BozUK
English R1 rider!!

Quote:

Nice...looks like one comfy seat. Post up after trying it. I might add your step to mine.
Well I have managed to get out and try the seat properly, the difference is amazing! The sitting position is much flatter, and no more sliding into the tank with the weight on your arms, except under braking of course. The extra layer of foam has made all the difference, a vast improvement in comfort and well worth doing. I should be comfy on long trips now hopefully!!
BozUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #412
indianfighter
I eat my R1

Ok, for anyone with 2011 bike; there is nothing to cut below the seat so I just shaved off about half an inch off the top and added some foam to the front and it's made a huge difference as far as sliding to the front is concerned. I wouldn't be able to tell you about long distance comfort as I don't ride long distance.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #413
Matt600r
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
subscribed!
Matt600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #414
Medevack1
Never forget!!!

Bikes: '06 R1 50th anniversary & 99 YZF R1
Great post BTW, I'll be doing mine this weekend, plus I will try to replace the material with a custom color/design to match my 06 50th anniversary , I'll post pics soon
"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
"Nightstalkers for life" Never Leave a Soldier Behind
Medevack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #415
Low Standards
I eat my R1

Bikes: 13' R1
Did this a couple weeks ago and man what a difference it made

R1-013 ...
if your not in then you need to be
Low Standards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #416
KoC-BlocER1
Turn and Burn!

Bikes: '09 R1 (Sold) ~ 2012 R1
Indian..you have any pics?
KoC-BlocER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #417
hellafiedspic
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 05 R1
great posts..i am doing this to my bike right away...cant decide if i got with a gel insert or a foam one

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
hellafiedspic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #418
hellafiedspic
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 05 R1
was also wondering if anyone knew what the red key is for..i got my triple tree clamp powder coated and disconnected my ignition switch...plugged it all back in and now my key dont work to start bike...does that mean i gotta take it to dealer?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
hellafiedspic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #419
indianfighter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoC-BlocER1 View Post
Indian..you have any pics?
Sorry mate, didn't take pics. But now I have taken off the extra padding I put up front, it has become a lot better.

So basically what really worked for me is just shaving of about half an inch from the rear half section of the seat.

Why do yamaha make such weird seats and aggressive riding positions on their sportsbikes?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #420
.Cheetah.
Louisville-Sportbikes.com

Bikes: 2002 Blue R1
Quote:

Why do yamaha make such weird seats and aggressive riding positions on their sportsbikes?

Because their made for the track, not commuting.