Carbon Fiber Suppliers List - Page 21 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 09-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #401
Benocehcap
Sonic Boom!

Bikes: 2001 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATIN View Post
I think you should open a new how to thread?
wise

Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #402
TheBFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATIN View Post
I think you should open a new how to thread?
It would have to be a how-to thread on starting your own CF laminating business, cause the price of getting all the equipment and materials is nearly the same as just buying an entire CF kit for a bike. Then there is the cost of having everything clear coated, which is required for UV protection. There are plenty of videos on how to do it, and it could be done rather cheaply if you just hand lay the CF, but it's not the ideal way for the best CF product. And I am not savvy enough yet to be giving too many pointers. I could easily explain the basics, but it would just be spouting off the same info that could easily be found with a google search. I'd be more than happy to share what I know if anyone should ask any specific questions, but it would be very time consuming to write up a how to and the value of it to others on the forum would be pretty much nothing since the information is widely available.
TheBFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #403
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
The fiberglass is my specialty BFA. Worked in a fiberglass boat shop in high school and continue to work with it all the time for work. Its a requirement to get good at it in this business. Everything we use is glass. I don't know how its priced in Australia but there about 30 local suppliers so we buy resin and gel coat dirt cheap by the 50 gal drum

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #404
TheBFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterhound View Post
The fiberglass is my specialty BFA. Worked in a fiberglass boat shop in high school and continue to work with it all the time for work. Its a requirement to get good at it in this business. Everything we use is glass. I don't know how its priced in Australia but there about 30 local suppliers so we buy resin and gel coat dirt cheap by the 50 gal drum

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com Free App
I would say they molding principles are exactly the same. I used only epoxy resins though as opposed to the polyester ones that are common with FG. I am not too savvy yet, but epoxy gelcoat is supposed to be sh!t to work with and hasn't really been perfected. I use an additive to the epoxy and a dye to make my gelcoat. I don't understand the difference really but my supplier said even the manufacturers of epoxy tooling gelcoats don't recommend using it. I haven't really been paying too much attention on what I've been spending, but I ahve all my receipts and will go through them shortly to see what my cost would be for making the parts so I can figure out a good amount to charge. I am looking at using reusable silicone bags , but they are almost double the price for the kit in Aus than in the US.
TheBFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #405
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
I would say they molding principles are exactly the same. I used only epoxy resins though as opposed to the polyester ones that are common with FG. I am not too savvy yet, but epoxy gelcoat is supposed to be sh!t to work with and hasn't really been perfected. I use an additive to the epoxy and a dye to make my gelcoat. I don't understand the difference really but my supplier said even the manufacturers of epoxy tooling gelcoats don't recommend using it. I haven't really been paying too much attention on what I've been spending, but I ahve all my receipts and will go through them shortly to see what my cost would be for making the parts so I can figure out a good amount to charge. I am looking at using reusable silicone bags , but they are almost double the price for the kit in Aus than in the US.
I have all the guns for glass. Which make taking a mold tremendously easier. Release wax, gel coat, spray.... None of the rolling on old school style. Can take a mold off something with a ton of curves very easily. hardly ever lay mat style anymore. As you progress and start making a lot of molds you want to invest in spray equipment. If I was taking a mold off say a front fender. I can do it in less than 1/50th the time I could have rolling on and laying up

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #406
AaronWhitt82
I Heart My R1

Bikes: 2011 R1 Team Blue | 2004 R6 (Sold) | 2010 WR250X (Sold)
Has anyone heard of these guys?
http://stores.ebay.com/RC-Professional-Racing-Realm
I sorta skimmed through this thread and didn't see anything about them.
Looks like they have pretty good feedback as well, but they are located in Hong Kong...

EDIT: Never mind.... Their stuff is cheap quality lol

Last edited by AaronWhitt82; 10-05-2012 at 04:42 PM.
AaronWhitt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #407
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

Bikes: 04 R1
Any reviews on Tekarbon and A-Mars? About to pull the trigger soon and was wonder what people's experiences were.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
NicholasRomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #408
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
tekarbon is the 'err acceptable alternative to good carbon... hahahh... looks cheap in my opinion... as far as I know they only offer replacement pieces for something if you're not happy with it... so you kind of end up with something you dont want in the 1st place...

some people have settled with it.. i still think it looks cheap.. to each their own..

its fiberglass & cf combination... not true carbon fiber... edges look dull, very unlike Yamaha oem plastics...

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
bacchus40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #409
ZdaMan
Nevermore

Bikes: 05 Raven R1, 03 Aprilia Mille(sold)
I'd go with MDI over Tekarbon and if you dont mind spending more ask for full carbon. The only piece thats not full carbon on my bike is a Tekarbon sprocket cover. Its a bit heavy.
Mods: Full Termi exhaust, BCM race filter, Factory Pro Stacks, PCIII usb w/ dyno tune, Ohlins damper & YA343 shock, Pazzo levers, Puig DB windscreen, -1 front, +1 rear black sprocket, Spiegler SS brake lines, speedo healer, Roth block off plates, Pro bolt Ti axle & sprocket nuts, Engine Ice coolant, GYTR cowl, 1CarbonTech CF tank panels, heat shield, hugger & chain guard, MDI CF, Moto frame sliders, Rizoma Graffio rear signals, Watsen signals, Vortex spools, Evotech oil filler cap.
ZdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #410
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

Bikes: 04 R1
MDI is the eBay one?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
NicholasRomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #411
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
nope, http://www.mdicarbonfiber.com/

1CARBONTECH is the one most popular on Ebay, and is sold by Motomummy,

https://www.motomummy.com/B-Carbon-Fiber

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #412
ZdaMan
Nevermore

They do have stuff on ebay or you can contact them directly through their website. What pieces are you looking for? 1carbontech is on ebay too and have some parts for the 04-06. Most of my pieces are from them and they are good to go.
Mods: Full Termi exhaust, BCM race filter, Factory Pro Stacks, PCIII usb w/ dyno tune, Ohlins damper & YA343 shock, Pazzo levers, Puig DB windscreen, -1 front, +1 rear black sprocket, Spiegler SS brake lines, speedo healer, Roth block off plates, Pro bolt Ti axle & sprocket nuts, Engine Ice coolant, GYTR cowl, 1CarbonTech CF tank panels, heat shield, hugger & chain guard, MDI CF, Moto frame sliders, Rizoma Graffio rear signals, Watsen signals, Vortex spools, Evotech oil filler cap.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #413
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #414
Benocehcap
Sonic Boom!

Bikes: 2001 Yamaha R1
Any rating on the:
LINK
http://www.sebimoto.com/

if you have samples please add pix

Last edited by Benocehcap; 01-27-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Benocehcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #415
rossm
Honda's Grrrrr

Bikes: '02 Yamaha R1, '98 Kawasaki ZX9R, '06 Gilera Nexus 500, '05 Gilera DNA180, '03 Yamaha TW125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benocehcap View Post
Any rating on the:
LINK
http://www.sebimoto.com/

if you have samples please add pix
Done in your other thread
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #416
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Bikes: 2011 R1, and all the bikes I wish i had
http://www.mdicarbonfiber.com

They got their sh*t together, I like their stuff. Attention to detail, great finish. Bolt on carbon is better than stuck on carbon IMO.

Sig by Uncle P

I wish my Dad was alive to see some of the crazy shit I do. RIP Pops
BlackShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #417
CARBONAR1
90% INDESTRUCTABLE

Bikes: 06 R1R - 01 R1 hybrid - 06 Gixxer 1000 trackbike, 06 FZ6N - 96 FailBladder cadaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShadow View Post
http://www.mdicarbonfiber.com

They got their sh*t together, I like their stuff. Attention to detail, great finish. Bolt on carbon is better than stuck on carbon IMO.

Nice one, cheers.

FASTER AND FASTER 'TILL THE THRILL OF SPEED OVERCOMES THE FEAR OF DEATH

-HUNTER S. THOMPSON .................................................. ............................................sig by PETROL_SPICE
CARBONAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #418
bluestreakrem
AMA Life Member

Bikes: See the list.
Do the MDI Carbon parts have a deep glossy shine?
It might be just the pics but some of the pics looks like they are not very glossy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU_MATRX View Post
Also, these are 100% CF w/ epoxy resin custom made on order 3-4 weeks. It's not much more of a premium compared to their standard CF layer w/ fiberglass. Twill
2x2 weave doesn't add any additional cost to their published prices. Make sure you specify the above. They are great!

http://mdicarbonfiber.com/store/index.php

Current rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona
82 Honda V45 Sabre
03 BMW K1200 GT
03 Aprilia Tuono Racing
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 Anniversary (LE Paint Scheme)
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 Anniversary LE (The Real Deal)
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Day Only Bike
bluestreakrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #419
BlueDevil
1 Sick Individual

Bikes: 06 R6 50th / Raven Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreakrem View Post
Do the MDI Carbon parts have a deep glossy shine?
It might be just the pics but some of the pics looks like they are not very glossy.

U can order them in gloss of flat now....

Sig. courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #420
ZdaMan
Nevermore

If you get their gloss it's pretty glossy. I do polish mine occasionally.

Last edited by ZdaMan; 06-07-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement