R1 2008 vs 2009 - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
slick+r1=glory
r1s kill all others

Bikes: 07 yzf r1 crimson red/09 cbr 1000rr the fire blade sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfieldtrash21 View Post
Mmmmmmmm.....pure sex right there! I do love the look and screaming of the '08, almost bought one before I got my '12. After getting mine tuned right, I would never go back to that "other" engine LOL. Just something about that torque.......and sound!!!!!! (My bike at the last trip to the dyno) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUZN61WJNNg
I just seen ur vid is it 174 whp or crank hp slip on y pipe I can't see whp I have a full graves low mount flash ecu bmc air and that graves pipe makes more horses then my other r1 with the full akrapovic evo system

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Motorcycle.com App
slick+r1=glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
slick+r1=glory
r1s kill all others

I have both 07 10 Rossi and 12gp ed r1s its all about how u ride if ur a top end rider go with the 07-08 r1 if u don't do a lot of top speeds and like to curve ur bike go with the 09+ r1 and if u get a 09+ buy a graves low mount exhaust there is nothing out there that sounds like it except the m1 and if u buy the 07-08 rq go with the full akrapovic evo 2 ti for that real formula one sound

Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #23
Blk08R1
I eat my R1

Im gonna have to go with 08
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1864.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	479077  
Blk08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #24
Oilfieldtrash21
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2012 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick+r1=glory View Post
I just seen ur vid is it 174 whp or crank hp slip on y pipe I can't see whp I have a full graves low mount flash ecu bmc air and that graves pipe makes more horses then my other r1 with the full akrapovic evo system

No thats 174 whp with only those mods tuned for 93 pump gas. Should make a cpl more hp when we go back and tune each individual cyl. Just waiting to have bungs welded in each header tube after the holidays. Here's the chart. Red lines are the final tune that made repeated pulls at 174 whp. Blue line was what the bike was making at the beginning of the tuning session, added to graph for comparison. Top pair (red & blue) being hp, middle pair is torque and bottom pair is AFR's. Linear power band in the red line was made by moving the velocity stack lift point from 9250 rpm to 8000 rpm. Notice how by just making that change flattened out the dip in the powerband.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dyno Chart.pdf (88.7 KB, 29 views)
R1-015 "Ghostrider" Squadron #145
Oilfieldtrash21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #25
Cerbyr1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSTuner View Post
Ride a 08 and 09 plus to compare the bikes. I convicted my friend to get a 11 and after more then riding his bike I like the 08 better. The 08 is lighter and has more power output stock. With the same mods both bike has the same horse power. 09 plus the power comes on sooner in the rpm and the 07 to 08 power comes on around 7k to red line.

I love my 08 r1.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
me too.. i prefer the 07/08 to the later r1's in both handling and power.

the whole cross plane thing is good in theory but i race my r1 and in stock engine trim i couldnt see the benefit of the 09's+.. they are just too heavy and my 07 has no problems out driving them out of turns and passing on the straights.

dont get me wrong the cross plane has definate merit (as gp m1 has proved) but with the 09 r1 i believe yamaha went too conservative with the power outputs. its my opinion that they did that to avoid reliablity issues which is fine but now its time to start cranking those power numbers and trimming the weight down otherwise it will get left behind by the other manufacturers.

on the road however i am the 09 r1 would be much better though with more bottom end.. but for the outright performance i still think the 07/08 is the best package. but then i am based :P i own one haha
Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #26
Oilfieldtrash21
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerbyr1 View Post
dont get me wrong the cross plane has definate merit (as gp m1 has proved) but with the 09 r1 i believe yamaha went too conservative with the power outputs. its my opinion that they did that to avoid reliablity issues which is fine but now its time to start cranking those power numbers and trimming the weight down otherwise it will get left behind by the other manufacturers.
I do agree that they went waaaay conservative on the power but I disagree with it being due to reliability. When my '12 was stock it made 159 whp, after the tuning and exhaust mods I gained 15 whp and a massively improved powerband. Most of the power gains were made from ignition timing. As far as an '07 pulling away on the straights, I got one you can try that against......
Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #27
slick+r1=glory
r1s kill all others

Quote:
No thats 174 whp with only those mods tuned for 93 pump gas. Should make a cpl more hp when we go back and tune each individual cyl. Just waiting to have bungs welded in each header tube after the holidays. Here's the chart. Red lines are the final tune that made repeated pulls at 174 whp. Blue line was what the bike was making at the beginning of the tuning session, added to graph for comparison. Top pair (red & blue) being hp, middle pair is torque and bottom pair is AFR's. Linear power band in the red line was made by moving the velocity stack lift point from 9250 rpm to 8000 rpm. Notice how by just making that change flattened out the dip in the powerband.
That's a nice chart

Old 12-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #28
Oilfieldtrash21
I eat my R1

Quote:
That's a nice chart

Thanks. It helps to have a good tuner.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #29
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
My bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHLXy-3zkhI

2008 R1 Leo Vince factory Ti Evo II and Akro Y-Pipe - Flash-Tune WHP 151.79

My friends bike ( same dyno same day )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzH40z5KgBk

2011 R1 Leo Vince factory CF Evo II and Leo Vince Y-Pipe - Flash-Tune WHP 152.11

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336353

YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee
IMSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #30
OptimoPrime
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2013 s1000rr
^^i have those same mods with airbox mod and i have 165 from my 09. why your readings so low?
1981 yamaha xs450 (sold)
2003 honda superhawk 996 (Sold)
2001 suzuki TL1000r (sold)
2009 yamaha r1 (33k engine overheats SOLD)
2013 bmw s1000rr
OptimoPrime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #31
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
Quote:

The reason that number is so high is because it was done on a car dyno. I wish we could get 175hp on a stock engine and pump gas, but that's not happening. I'm not discounting his tune or anything, there are just limits to each platform.

Sent from my SGS3
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #32
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimoPrime View Post
^^i have those same mods with airbox mod and i have 165 from my 09. why your readings so low?
Each dyno is going to give a different number. That was just a comparison of the 2 bikes on a dyno same day, dyno and outside temp. reading. You should get a stock dyno run and then get a dyno run on the same dyno with the same conditions. You would get a good idea of how much HP and TQ you gained with your mods. Your top hp reading doesn’t mean anything when you are comparing a dyno run from someone else’s HP reading on a different dyno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMA View Post
The reason that number is so high is because it was done on a car dyno. I wish we could get 175hp on a stock engine and pump gas, but that's not happening. I'm not discounting his tune or anything, there are just limits to each platform.

Sent from my SGS3
Yup we are using both OTC maps on the 2 bikes. We are planning to get a dyno with the same tuner when I get my ais block off plates. I will have a base map run and atfer tune run with AF for both bikes. I don't expect the bikes to have that much of a difference in power but just where the power will come on and fall off.

2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336353

YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee

Last edited by IMSTuner; 12-25-2012 at 10:22 AM.
IMSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #33
CupraR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash21 View Post
mmmmmmmm.....pure sex right there! I do love the look and screaming of the '08, almost bought one before i got my '12. After getting mine tuned right, i would never go back to that "other" engine lol. Just something about that torque.......and sound!!!!!! (my bike at the last trip to the dyno) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzn61wjnng
wow
CupraR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #34
Oilfieldtrash21
I eat my R1

Quote:

Sent from my SGS3
Car dyno, yes. It also does bikes, the program is set up to adjust the brakes for them, the shop just didnt have the attachment for the front wheel. Regardless of what normally runs on it, the wheel turns a drum attached to a brake. Program adjusts eddy brakes accordingly, hence the settings for motorcycles. The numbers are legit, mustang dynos are know for real world readings. Look it up. Lets not start another dyno debate......

Old 12-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #35
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
Just saying, no other r1 has gotten those numbers without engine work. Burn-z has a better exhaust system, a full akra, instead of a 3/4, flashed ecu, etc, only made 155. Your bike isn't making twenty more HP. Your gains are what matters, not the output. I just think his dyno is mighty optimistic and i think many world agree. Otherwise you have the highest output crossplane with stock motor, and with your mods that's probably not likely. Just my .02. I'm really not trying to be negative, just realistic. I still think it's a great gain he made with you. The stack thing was a real surprise. Good innovation.

Sent from my SGS3

Last edited by AKDMA; 12-25-2012 at 03:25 PM.
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #36
OptimoPrime
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2013 s1000rr
^^ thought everyone with 3/4 exhuast, pcv, reflash, airbox mod was making 165

1981 yamaha xs450 (sold)
2003 honda superhawk 996 (Sold)
2001 suzuki TL1000r (sold)
2009 yamaha r1 (33k engine overheats SOLD)
2013 bmw s1000rr
OptimoPrime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #37
Oilfieldtrash21
I eat my R1

Quote:
Just saying, no other r1 has gotten those numbers without engine work. Burn-z has a better exhaust system, a full akra, instead of a 3/4, flashed ecu, etc, only made 155. Your bike isn't making twenty more HP. Your gains are what matters, not the output. I just think his dyno is mighty optimistic and i think many world agree. Otherwise you have the highest output crossplane with stock motor, and with your mods that's probably not likely. Just my .02. I'm really not trying to be negative, just realistic. I still think it's a great gain he made with you. The stack thing was a real surprise. Good innovation.

Sent from my SGS3
Peak power wasnt our goal, a usuable powerband was. The majority of the gains were made from ignition timing. '12 timing is very conservative, so we used a '11 stock timing map to start with. I don't see how my numbers are so unrealistic when N4speed made 171whp over in the FT thread plus another member was in the 170's. As far as exhaust go, you MIGHT see a 1 or 2 hp difference between brands. Just because someone has an Akra system on their bike doesn't mean they are instantly going to make every ounce of hp available or entitled to make more hp than my bike with a cheaper system. Its all in the tuning not the exhaust. As long as you have a free flowing path for the gasses escape they dont care what the name plate says on the canister. Im not turning this thread in to another debate with you when other members in another thread are posting up #'s in the 170's also and they don't recieve near the criticism . Those are perfectly achievable #'s on a stock engine with bolt ons. In the end it comes down to the tuner, you get what you pay for.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #38
CMRAsloguy
I eat my R1

Quote:
Thanks. It helps to have a good tuner.
And a (more than) generous dyno/dyno operator. People are easily tricked. I wonder what mine would make on that same one!?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #39
CMRAsloguy
I eat my R1

Quote:
Peak power wasnt our goal... an Akra system ... you get what you pay for.

Many questions.... like if peak power WAS your goal, what would you and your monster pump gas R1 have gotten??

Also, if there's not a difference in MGFR's I'm assuming you don't understand flow velocity? A full system made that way from the get go compared to a full system made out of a y-pipe, some slip-ons, and later down the road some headers, those two different setups.... are going to make the same power?

This is getting entertaining! Please, continue!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #40
MattDeRoche
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2009 R1
My wife caught me watching your video....accused me of cheatiung >D Very nice man
MattDeRoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement