HOW TO: 07-08 R1 Install Rotrex Supercharger - Page 4 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

How To's Please post your detailed How To's threads in here. They'll be of big help to owners of the R1.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #61
Spyrious
Vee Twin Superbike

Bikes: TL1000R
Yes.He is one of the few gurus of the tl1000.He now has overbored it to 1200cc,but that off topic.
Spyrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #62
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
can't wait to see the finished product.

cyclepsycho7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #63
Doppler
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 R1

I'd hazard a guess that this would be one of the most watched threads on the forum.

Awesome. We can't wait!
Doppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #64
Raven1Actual
I eat my R1

In for the thrill.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #65
forestR1
Dont worry about cancer, RIDE!

Bikes: '99 R1, & '08 R1
Bit of a hold up

Although ive been told that the gasket has held up on the origional build bike (mine is only the 2nd kit to be produced) I am still giong to countersink a coverplate into the back of the bracket to mate with the timing cover gasket to be sure.

OOPS-- I had to remove the master pully to work on the bracket, the retaining compound wouldnt break and so i trashed the iol seal and bearing in the bracket before i realised that i was an idiot. thankfully the bearing and oil seal were off the shelf componants and cost me 9 whole dollars to replace.

I dont have the means to weld the aluminium bracket so i will have to wait till the ally fab shop re-opens. or maybe ill just use "Kneed-it" and do it today. sounds legitimate.

In Picture: the grey is the where the bracket mates with the open timing housing, the hole is where the tensioner mounts (on the reverse side). how this would have ever lasted i dont know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	479609  
forestR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #66
T.C.
Bourbon is my blood

Bikes: 2002 R1, 1980 FLH Harley, 1993 Suzuki Rmx 250, 1979 CB900f(modified), 1980 Kawasaki KX125
Do it once, and do it right. I'd wait for the fab shops to re-open.
Not sure what it's like in NSW, but they start opening here in Vic the second week of Jan.

Sig by Uncle P.

Cal meh anj alcholic all yoo want. I will not memba in the morning, or the next day.

My bike thread.. http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343172
T.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #67
forestR1

Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
Do it once, and do it right. I'd wait for the fab shops to re-open.
Very sound advice T.C always best to do things right!
So anyway... after I stuffed some Kneed-It in the hole and scraped it flat and tapped out some other holes the charger is now mounted in all its glory!

I used an oil wrench to put tension on the tensioner while i fixed it in place, and since i Stuffed the bearings last week and had to replace them i got a pic this time of how to get the spiggot into the double lip oil seal (you cant just push it in because the lip is smaller and faces outwards), so feeler gauges placed between the spiggot and oil seal all the way around like an apature make it pucker up and you can pop the shaft in.

I have fluids back in the bike (apart from the Supercharger) and am working on the fairing and oil routing for the SC still.

Hopefully will have some actual interesting stuff for you soon.
lets face it the only thing everybody wants is to see is this thing flip!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0503.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	479898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	479899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	479900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0508.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	479901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	479902  

Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #68
Medevack1
Never forget!!!

Bikes: '06 R1 50th anniversary & 99 YZF R1
Nice work !!!!! im sub too......
"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
"Nightstalkers for life" Never Leave a Soldier Behind
Medevack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #69
toysareforboys
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 07 R1, flash-tune'd
In for dyno charts (and videos).

-Jamie M.
(P.S. did you see I said videos? Good ).
toysareforboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #70
forestR1

Day something something

A mate came round today to help so things actually got done!

Today:

1. Most of the fairing is done with the help of an angle grinder, a dremel and some photos for reference. after about 20 go's we got bored and started on the oil routing.

2. Got most of the oil routing done and have it pretty much figured out but pulled up about 2Mtr short of line and the one way valve supplied is too small to fit properly. Sort that out tomorrow!

All that is left after that is priming the oil circut and tuning. Im trying to get hold of a fuel map to use as a base, but the bike was runing spasticly rich beforehand so that may be enough for a gentle break in if i turn up fuel a little more.

and then... Wheelies!
and then... crashies!
and yes... Videos!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0510.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	479976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	479977  
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #71
forestR1

Its happening!!!!!

THE BIKE RUNS!!!

Had the boys around for a starting party today.
here's how it went down:

1. finished the oil circuit and managed to make everything fit (oil lines and powercommander were tight

2. Primed the oil circuit. By the book, you are meant to use compressed air to push the fluid through, that didn't want to make it passed the one way valve so i pupmed it through the lines with a measuring syringe.
- then we tightened up the forgotten banjos on the oil cooler and cleaned up the mess

3. Fuel tank on, battery connected, blow off valve DISCONNECTED, camera rolling, ignition on... then... *59*
Had a quick look and 59 is TPS (throttle position sensor). that looked to be connected, so bugger it!

4. Hit the starter, engine turns over, belt winds up! but no firing. ...TPS
I looked further into it, turns out i was looking at the throttle blade sensor not the TPS which i can see is unplugged and burried by the plenum chamber.. So off comes the plenum chamber (painfully) and the plug is reconnected. ignition on... ALL GOOD!

5. Camera back on, starter button, engine turns over and fires into life. with a subttle new whistle! The reason the blow off valve was disconnected (ie: removed leaving the port open) was to test the bike all rigged up without boost. The engine would take the air it needed and the rest let out the empty BOV hole. This was a good idea.
A few gentle blips of the throttle and the other side of the bike was generously sprayed with bright blue traction fluid (the supercharger oil)spat out of the BOV port killswitch!

roughly 100ml of oil had leaked form the drive side of the SC where it belongs and pooled in the compressor side and was blasted up the air pipe to the BOV outlet and air box. messy.

We cleaned up a bit and disconnected the air pipe from the supercharger so that when operating, the air would blow straight out and we could see what was going on. it wasnt leaking now, so we fired it up again and... nothing... all fine. The only thing we could think of is that it was forced through the seal during priming. Ill see what's what in the morning. hopefully all dry!

Ill get some more pictures and video up soon
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0513.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	480014  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #72
TheBFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestR1 View Post
Although ive been told that the gasket has held up on the origional build bike (mine is only the 2nd kit to be produced) I am still giong to countersink a coverplate into the back of the bracket to mate with the timing cover gasket to be sure.

OOPS-- I had to remove the master pully to work on the bracket, the retaining compound wouldnt break and so i trashed the iol seal and bearing in the bracket before i realised that i was an idiot. thankfully the bearing and oil seal were off the shelf componants and cost me 9 whole dollars to replace.

I dont have the means to weld the aluminium bracket so i will have to wait till the ally fab shop re-opens. or maybe ill just use "Kneed-it" and do it today. sounds legitimate.

In Picture: the grey is the where the bracket mates with the open timing housing, the hole is where the tensioner mounts (on the reverse side). how this would have ever lasted i dont know!
I'm in Sydney Eastern subs and can weld aluminum if you want me to have a go. I could even see about some exhaust modification for you if you want, if you are in the area.
TheBFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #73
forestR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
I'm in Sydney Eastern subs and can weld aluminum if you want me to have a go. I could even see about some exhaust modification for you if you want, if you are in the area.
Cheers BFA. I'm up north and the bracket is sorted (i hope). thanks though.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #74
rexmitchell
I am the vanilla gorilla!

subscribed

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
I'd rather be ass-to-ass with Kirk
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #75
benji0383
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2008 R1
Any Updates??
benji0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #76
2 Raven Rider
A Biche & a Muddafvcka!

Bikes: 02-R6-Crashed and burned. 05-R6-Sold to my bro, still in my garage! 05-R1-Current
PHANTOM#09

MODS:
Full Leo Vince exhaust.
Spencer Cycle track pack clutch
12K HID's.
Hot bodies Flush mounts.
Integrated Tail light.
Swing Arm Extensions.
Chain and Sprockets (-1+2).
520 conversion.
Shnitz Lowering Strap.
Roth Industries velocity stacks, block offs, and mirror block offs.
Auctmarts Fairings.
12 O'clock Speedo heeler.
PC5-map by motomummy!

STOCK: 10.2 @ 140
MODDED: 9.9 @ 140...no launch 2012
2 Raven Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #77
forestR1

Dyno

Put the bike on the Dyno last week. left there very dissapointed.
The final result was around 164 HP at the wheel!

There were big issues tuning the 20% throttle range. The fuel map is basicly turned on it's head, adding 20 to 60% fuel everywhere elso, to minus 20 to 60% around the 20% throttle opening. this was the only result we could come up with on the dyno.

The ride home (the first road ride under boost) was bad, power was on and off like a switch, so into fault finding.

1. I calibrated the BOV, increasing minimum pressure thinking that maybe it was opening on the dyno stuffing up the fuel map.
-minor improvement

2. I adjusted the fuel map. I dont have a Dyno in my pocket so i replaced the 20% throttle range fuel changes with the averages of the adjacent cells to just smooth the map out (if anyone has powercommander software you'll know what i mean). This was never intended to be perfect, but in the ballpark.
-Bloody lethal! at low - medium throttle the bike would start to speed up the get to certain rev ranges and turn into a jackhammer as if spark was being cut and comming back on 5 times a second!

today i downloaded some screen capture software pluged the laptop into the PCIII, threw the laptop in a bag and went for a ride. Im still trying to analyse the results.
Im also having big problems with the oil reservour ill explain in the next post

Sorry about the wait, i've been holding out for some good news for you all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dyno.png
Views:	176
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	480993   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel map.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	480994  
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #78
swerwer
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2004 R1
Good luck man.. sure you'll get it figured out somehow....wouldn't the manufacturers be able to assist? she'll be a beastie once sorted though
swerwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #79
OptimoPrime
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2013 s1000rr
yul get itgoing man.

when i was on dyno we were having a problem where even if we added 100% more fuel it would stil only get to 13s. we replaced the fuel pump and everything immediately went up into the 18s. we redid the tune and it came out great.

maybe check your plugs/coils/fuel pump?? idk if this helps but its only experience on dyno i've ever had
1981 yamaha xs450 (sold)
2003 honda superhawk 996 (Sold)
2001 suzuki TL1000r (sold)
2009 yamaha r1 (33k engine overheats SOLD)
2013 bmw s1000rr
OptimoPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #80
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Good luck with the finishing touches!!! Subed!!!!

cyclepsycho7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement