R1 as a first bike? - Page 7 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #121
DOC_G
RIP #45 Peter Lenz

Bikes: 2013 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC_G View Post
Thats good to hear! Believe me the R6 will not let you down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-deuce View Post
i agree, r6 well not let you down!
FIX
R1-014 'Dragon Squadron' West/SW USA: CA, HI, NV, AZ #44
DOC_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #122
Joeybigplans
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 08 raven
my first R!

I was 25 when i bought my 08 brand new this year put 2500miles on it and im still kicking although some close encounters from other motorists, but i started riding dirt bikes a long time ago and a few F3 and F4's. Not to say that i am the best or do standing wheelies like the buddies i ride with i just take my time and work myself step by step, i have no chicken strips, and i dont do wheelies but this bike comes up all on its on so i think its a good idea to know to control the bike if it does come up. always remember the bike is only as fast as you want to twist your wrist! BUT THIS BIKE IS FAST AS SHIT!!!!
Joeybigplans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #123
triplex76
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazed_87 View Post
Honestly, just get a 600 for your first bike. I started riding at 17 and my first bike was a zx-6. A 600 is still ridiculously fast but there is some room for error that isnt there on a 180hp r1. Im glad i started on a 600 because it has really taught me to respect what im riding. An r1 is no joke, and even though i thought that i was responsible 5 years ago when i started riding, i wasn't. Start with a 600, an r1 is way too fast. I really don't know how they are street legal.
American laws are in someway crazy.
here in italy you need 3 years of driver license and you must be 21 years old to ride a bike with more than 25 hp.so you can start with the basic license at 18, and after 3 years you are able to ride an r1...but after 3 years of license it's supposed you are almost half skilled.
triplex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:31 AM   #124
rlyoung73
I'm in hibernation people!!

Bikes: R1 07'
My history

I first rode my buddies CBR 600 in 1995 a few times. Didn't ride again until 2006 when I bought my first bike of my own (2006 GSXR 750) Kid jumped in front of me the first day and I dropped it GSXR750, In 2008 this young woman ran into me (totaled bike GSXR-750).<< loved that bike.. 4 days later I picked up a 2007 R1 with no miles while I was on cruches. Dropped that bike once while in my alley while turning. I've been ok ever since with my R-1<<< in Love with this bike.
rlyoung73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #125
bart321
My R1 eats me.

My 1st bike =2007 R1 Still Not Dead yet!

my 1st bike is a r1 i havnt dropped it the only time i have come close is when a car tried to get down the inside when i was turning up a driveway! theres no problem i found it a hell of alot easier to ride learn on than my old mans
xj900 aslong as your not guna be a idiot even tho its hard to contain yourself stay calm and alert and dont just jump on and open her up you will be fine! i thought bout getting a R6 first but got a 07 R1 with 1300ks on it for a ridiculous price so grabed it and been carefull ever since! and love my R1 best thing i have ever brought!
bart321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #126
GarethD
2009 R1

Let's see, here's my .02

Last summer I bought my first bike. It was an 09 R1. Last summer was also the first time that I rode ANY bike! I trained on a modified gXSR 750 (well technically because it had a 1000 engine fitted in with a monster extended swingarm in the back. I hated that bike and still hate it. (Ironically out of my friends that was the least modifed bike!) The throttle is twitchy and you never know how much power you are gonna get. My first and only accident was on that bike. I highsided half way down the street coming out of my dude's driveway. Got distracted and gave it waaaaaaay too much throttle, got scared and let the clutch out and hit the brakes at the same time. In the 3 seconds I was airborne I thought very hard about not doing that anymore, luckily I had full gear on so i survived no scratches. Anyway, the point is that it is all about how you ride and how much knowledge you have of your bike. If you respect the machine and slowly develop your skill, it wouldn't matter if a 'busa was your first bike. The ONLY reason i didnt get the R6 is because the 09R6 is azz-ugly to me, but i got an R1 and I'm so happy I did. The throttle on this bike is progressive and predictable, and i like the fact that I have tons of grip. The gxsr I trained on slid sometimes even with new tires! Everytime i see that bike I wanna knife the tires so nobody rides that pig!

"Far reaching intelligent discourse is the privilege of the intuitive; the woeful remnant however, can only perceive ideology as far disposed from themselves as the edge of their nose from their cornea!" - G.D. 06/2008, a dark day of somber epiphany.

Last edited by GarethD; 01-14-2010 at 01:00 PM.
GarethD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #127
GarethD
2009 R1

WHich year has 180hp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazed_87 View Post
Honestly, just get a 600 for your first bike. I started riding at 17 and my first bike was a zx-6. A 600 is still ridiculously fast but there is some room for error that isnt there on a 180hp r1. Im glad i started on a 600 because it has really taught me to respect what im riding. An r1 is no joke, and even though i thought that i was responsible 5 years ago when i started riding, i wasn't. Start with a 600, an r1 is way too fast. I really don't know how they are street legal.

I want one!!!!

"Far reaching intelligent discourse is the privilege of the intuitive; the woeful remnant however, can only perceive ideology as far disposed from themselves as the edge of their nose from their cornea!" - G.D. 06/2008, a dark day of somber epiphany.
GarethD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #128
ALROJI
My R1 eats me.

ALROJI.

I started with a Honda CBR 600 92 f2, after that I bought a Honda 600 F4i, Now I'm on a R12003, Many people and experts says. Itīs the best, it already had close to 40k miles and everithing OK. I had some injuries becuase of the cbr600, but not with the R1.
A friend of mine is ridding a R1-2003 like his first bike, He has never rode a superbike before, he is still riding, nothing happen yet, he is happy... I am talking like 2 years ago.
I suggest, go ahead, but alway wear protections and good brakes and tires... that's it
ALROJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #129
Jason P.
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Started with a Yamaha R6 '06. rode careful on it, but inevitably had a low side. totaled it, bought another 600, traded that in for the R6 I have now.

but a friend of mines had an uncle who was taking the MSF, said he was getting an R1. I frowned upon it for being his first bike, but I wasnt one to preach. long story short, newbie rider plus R1 wasnt a good match. he wrenched the throttle hard on a ride to his workplace. said the power of the bike almost snapped his wrist. really?! he stopped riding it after that.

id stick with a 600 IF you have too to start. 1000s are nice, and I do want 09+ R1, but i find it to be to much.

www.jasonphan.wordpress.com
Jason P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #130
NavyFlip

i bought my '12 R1 a few weeks ago and it's my first bike. I was looking for an R6, but couldn't pass the offer. Why buy an R6 when you can buy an R1 around the same price!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	480798   Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment-2.aspx.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	480799   Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	480800  
NavyFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #131
edeekeos
I ride Ya-mama-ha..

Bikes: 04 Sexy Red R1
That's a beautiful ride man, please ride wise, and be careful!
edeekeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #132
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Bikes: 2011 R1, and all the bikes I wish i had
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyFlip View Post
i bought my '12 R1 a few weeks ago and it's my first bike. I was looking for an R6, but couldn't pass the offer. Why buy an R6 when you can buy an R1 around the same price!
Nice first bike

Sig by Uncle P

I wish my Dad was alive to see some of the crazy shit I do. RIP Pops
BlackShadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #133
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Bikes: 2011 R1, and all the bikes I wish i had
I started with a 250cc when I was younger. Later bought a R6, learned some hard lessons on that bike(s)...Then just thought the next step would be the liter bikes, since I outgrown the R6 limitations. I had my R6s all figured out, could tell what it was going to do in every corner of my favorite roads. The R1 is a beast of power and speed.

So it all comes down to a person's abilities. If they have confidence that they can learn R1, then I have no problem with someone getting one.
When 19 year old kid that has never been on two wheels, with a motor, and thinks, "I got this"...thats when I just shake my head.

Sig by Uncle P

I wish my Dad was alive to see some of the crazy shit I do. RIP Pops
BlackShadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #134
NavyFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeekeos View Post
That's a beautiful ride man, please ride wise, and be careful!
I will. Still a noob. It's like learning how to ride a bicycle again! Hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShadow View Post
Nice first bike
Thanks!
NavyFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #135
K5ShiftRed
Peg through skull = ouch!

Bikes: 2005 Shift Red YZF-R1, 2006 engine with just over 3k miles, tons of mods.
My first streetbike was a 2001 GSXR 600. Just sold it after buying a 2005 R1, my second ride on my R1, #4 rod blew through the case showering my tires with oil at 70+ mph. Didn't go down... Had over 40k miles on my GSXR, went through the wheelie phase, flipped a HC endo/stoppie at @ 45 mph once in 2006, got my right peg through the back of my skull... decided I was done doing silly sh*t.

Only have about 300 miles on my R1 with its new K6 engine, which only had 3000 miles on it.

Also grew up riding dirtbikes in the deserts of Az. Sure, my R1 stomps my GSXR, but I also 'raced' my 5 year old son, him on his bicycle, me on the R1, and he 'won' lol. Brains and throttle control = survivability.
K5ShiftRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #136
fcINFINITY
Free as a bird...

Bikes: 13 Yamaha R1
I still consider myself newish, even though I took a riders course and put 7k miles on my first bike (r6 now sold) before picking up an r1 which is sitting in the garage right now with 600ish miles. I'm only 23 but keep a cool head while riding. Have yet to go down on either, but the first time I went out on the r6 I almost went off the road in the twisties (target fixation) pulled out last second. I'm doing fine now and hope to keep it that way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0055.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	487599   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130330_180641.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	487600  
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #137
Mdeguz
My R1 eats me.

My first bike is a 2004 R1. Before I bought it I had my mind set on an R6, which seemed to be the logical thing to do as a newbie, not to mention I'm only 5'6, 125lbs. An R6 is probably best suited for me. An R1 never crossed my mind while I was shopping for my first bike until my brother who is an avid rider convinced me otherwise. I agree starting off with a small bike & working your way up as your skill level increases but I feel that there is nothing wrong with starting off big so you don't have to go through the hassle of moving up later. In addition, I couldn't refuse the deal I got for my R1. So in my case, it was GO BIG or miss out on an opportunity. I never looked back since & I'm glad I started off the way I did. I've had some mishaps but nothing major. Starting with an R1 by no means increases the chances of death compared to starting with a smaller bike. The bike won't kill you, it's how you ride that will determine that. If you're an irresponsible rider it doesn't matter what bike you start with, chances of death or killing someone else is far greater.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Mdeguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #138
K5ShiftRed
Peg through skull = ouch!

Bikes: 2005 Shift Red YZF-R1, 2006 engine with just over 3k miles, tons of mods.
True and well said. I got my ass kicked by a CR 125 when younger because I did something stupid. Sure... my R1 is tons more powerful than my old Gixxer, but I can also ride it with both feet up, speedo reading 0mph. Your attitude and self-control are THE biggest determining factor in jacking yourself up. Be smart, ride smart, watch out for cagers, all's good!
K5ShiftRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement