2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Page 5 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #81
Oz_R1
V4 addict

Bikes: '12 R1 (road), RSV4 Factory (Race)
Until you get the service bill for the GTR @ 60K miles where they have to tear down the motor and respray the plasma bore liners...
Oz_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #82
stop2think
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
no hate. I'm just saying that if you want to talk performance the GTR isn't that far ahead as you're making it out to be. You're making it sound like all GTR's are nearly 100k and all vetts are base models which just isn't so. The Z06 modded is very close to the same price tag as a GTR and performance wise they are very competitive. All I'm saying. Lots of z06's out there and they could just as easily have a GTR, especially if purchased used. You're making it sound like a GTR is leaps and bounds above a vette, but that's only the base model, Vett's have other models that are VERY badass cars that make the two very competive to each other in terms of price and performance. It seems people are talking about all types of cars, not just base model vett's though. Most on this forum are performance minded and most who are into performance care more about it then "new or used". The guy who brought up the GTR, and those who were explaining you can get them for under 100k were talking used and if you're into performance you can compare the two head to head as both will be modded.

Nearly all of my friends care less about new or used then they do performance and potential for performance. Maybe it's a gearhead thing.
Once again, confusing the hell out of me. Yes, all GT-Rs are not 100k, but all new ones are. Comparing apples to apples, they are half the price whether used or new, that is just an undeniable fact. Nobody said anything about used cars, the Z06 or ZR1; either I am sorely mistaken or this thread was started about the release of info regarding a new vette with no Z06 or ZR1 designation.

If anybody said they'd rather have a base vette than a GT-R (which nobody has) I'd assume they were lying, but you are comparing vehicles with a $47k base new cost difference. Period.

If the thread was starting about the new base mustang, would it be relevant if I made a post saying "yeah, well I'd still rather have a Z06"? No sh*t.
stop2think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #83
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
BTW anyone here if the tranny will be sequential or available in that platform? IMO that is the largest thing holding it back in terms of smoothness and also speed of shifting. With it's hp/weight ratio some damn good traction control (forget competitive mode) and sequential tranny and vette's would seriously rip. Even the C6 lacked that imo.

BTW kim so when ya upgrading?
If they put in a sequential instead of a manual stick that would be holding it back to me. I will only buy a true manual. Thank God Chevy still offers it.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #84
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop2think View Post
Once again, confusing the hell out of me. Yes, all GT-Rs are not 100k, but all new ones are. Comparing apples to apples, they are half the price whether used or new, that is just an undeniable fact. Nobody said anything about used cars, the Z06 or ZR1; either I am sorely mistaken or this thread was started about the release of info regarding a new vette with no Z06 or ZR1 designation.

If anybody said they'd rather have a base vette than a GT-R (which nobody has) I'd assume they were lying, but you are comparing vehicles with a $47k base new cost difference. Period.

If the thread was starting about the new base mustang, would it be relevant if I made a post saying "yeah, well I'd still rather have a Z06"? No sh*t.
I would pick a base vette over the GT-R any day...the GT-R if god awful ugly to me. and a very overrated/hyped car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
If they put in a sequential instead of a manual stick that would be holding it back to me. I will only buy a true manual. Thank God Chevy still offers it.
fvck yeah man...screw those flappy paddle gearboxes. last time i went to the chevy dealership out of 21 vettes on the lot...4 of them were tradition stick shifts.

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #85
Boyka
Now you see me, Now you don't

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1, 2008 Kawasaki ZX10R, 2008 Suzuki SV650s (Track Bike)
^ I'm guessing you have never driven a GT-R before.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Boyka; 01-16-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Boyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #86
R1nStang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyka View Post
^ I'm guessing you have never driven a GT-R before.

have no desire to. that car is 95% electronics and 5% about what the driver does. I dont want the car to handle everything. I want to drive the car...guess thats why i hate all wheel drive. I like to slide the rear end out around turns, I turn the traction control off, I dont need stability control or any of that other BS. plus i've gotta like the looks of the car i drive...and the GT-R looks like shit.

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #87
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
have no desire to. that car is 95% electronics and 5% about what the driver does. I dont want the car to handle everything. I want to drive the car...guess thats why i hate all wheel drive. I like to slide the rear end out around turns, I turn the traction control off, I dont need stability control or any of that other BS. plus i've gotta like the looks of the car i drive...and the GT-R looks like shit.
AWD is a drivetrain, it's not the car doing anything for you. I've owned FWD, RWD, and AWD, and I'll take AWD by a country mile. Much like a bike, you want the most grip you can get and AWD provides that better than RWD any day of the week. If you want to drift that is a different story but there is a reason why AWD is used in Rally, maximum grip. I miss mine. Was amazing to pass people in the rain, in the snow, because they have to go 20MPH under the speed limit and you get to go the speed limit like normal.

I've driven a GTR and got damn, it's a Japanese SuperCar. It's fast as shit, handles like a mofo, and the whole package is phenomenal. My only complaint is there is no manual. Initially, when the R35 got here, Nissan was selling them for a loss. They make this up in service and the service is not cheap. Just to get an oil change done you'd shake your head. It was designed to easily work on. It is fast as shit with a few mods. Supercar for $100k.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #88
Boyka
Now you see me, Now you don't

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1, 2008 Kawasaki ZX10R, 2008 Suzuki SV650s (Track Bike)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
You do know the GT-R is not awd all the time. The car sends power to the front wheels, when it senses the car losing grip. Also the back of the car looks great which is what most people will see anyway.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #89
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
It's still an AWD system, varying between 100 rear, 0 front to 50 rear, 50 front at the extremes.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #90
R1nStang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyka View Post
You do know the GT-R is not awd all the time. The car sends power to the front wheels, when it senses the car losing grip. Also the back of the car looks great which is what most people will see anyway.

yup i know its not an AWD. ive read the articles about it years ago when it was released.
and its the rear end i find to be the ugliest part of it. kinda like the 10-12 mustang rear end...fvckin ugly.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #91
stop2think
I eat my R1

I have driven one, unfortunately had to drive like a granny because it is the baby of my GF's boss and she was sitting in the passenger seat. This is a guy with multiple exotics, including at least 3 Ferraris and Porsche Carrera GT, and the Nissan is his baby. The GT-R is an unreal machine. Still, have no clue how it was brought up in this thread.
stop2think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #92
gsxcorey
MummyMan

Bikes: 1999 r1, 07 GSXR 1k
lol in a bike or car thread you always compare vehicles. Same way when a zx10r thread is brought up somehow the S1000RR ends up being talked about Cars or bikes on their own are not as much fun to discuss without something to compare them to.

Now if only Ford and the GT500 would take after Chevy and drop some weight on it and make it look better

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #93
smalltrack
big tracks scare me

Bikes: 07 R6, 09 R1
First retail production '14 Stingray sold at Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction for $1,050, 000 to Rick Hendrick.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #94
Links311
Yamahaaa!!

Bikes: 12' R1 MotoGP #0326
I'd say for the money, you're getting one hell of a car with this new vette, and I'll bet it'd still give a GTR a hard time on the track especially with the advertised Z51 package.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #95
BB996+R1
I eat my R1

Bikes: The one that is collecting dust.
Saw this the other day...LOL!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	457366_469074839818826_1769789018_o.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	480695  
A person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
BB996+R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #96
MelvinAkshay
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 R1 - RIP, 2013 Ducati Panigale
oh gosh, this car is sexy !

Exotic looking car in an "affordable" price range. (it performs too)

Its affordable when you compare it to the italian made ones.
PHANTOM#420
MelvinAkshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #97
WiscoG8
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Car looks great, can't wait to see what they do with other models of it. 30 mpg hwy is pretty good, see if people test the DoD hopefully it wont have weak lifters like my G8 does..

If I ever get a coupe (sedan fan) itll be a zr1 or the viper. I like working on stuff with tools and not require a computer programming degree lol.

Sent from some nuclear plant.
WiscoG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #98
Corny
Hacked up R1s rock!

Bikes: 2003 YZF-R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB996+R1 View Post
Saw this the other day...LOL!!!!
I'm broke and I can't afford it.

But I think it's dead sexy lol.
Corny is offline   Reply With Quote