Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

What have you done to your R1 this past week?

1M views 12K replies 922 participants last post by  JLUnlimited 
#1 ·
Share the fun stuff you did with your favorite mistress.

Last weekend, I finally got around to something that was nagging me for a while. When I went to make right hand turns, I couldn't put my weight on the outside peg and lean as much as I wanted to. Turns out the peg knurls were all gone from over 8 years of riding. :scared

I moved around the worn out pegs of my Gilles rearset, swapped left for right to get the knurls to bite into my boots. Forgot what a pita they are to get access to. :mad:

Also couple bolts were seized. Bought some extractor bits but that didn't work. :rant:

I heated the frame and that wouldn't bulge. :flame:
I took a mini grinder disk to my dremel and made a big phillips head and I still couldn't torque it out. So I got my biggest screwdriver and hammer. Finally, got the top bolt to go. :chair:

The 2nd one still wouldn't bulge. Went back to the dremel and ground off most of the bolt top. Then it finally came out. A simple 10 minute job took 2 hours of cursing. :crash

Replaced all 4 bolts with stainless bolts this time. In the end, took a short ride up in the nearby hills. And all is well. :riding:

See less See more
Reactions: jheywood
#2,638 ·
#2,644 ·
My R1 had some no cut sliders with no pucks. So I cut down some axle sliders I had and used them for pucks.

I also bought a cheap(China) ebay windscreen to paint. Paint isn't a perfect match(just used some gloss white I had). I like the look so I'll be ordering a ZG Corsa screen and painting it to match.

#2,646 · (Edited)
My R1 had some no cut sliders with no pucks. So I cut down some axle sliders I had and used them for pucks.
Of course you can't :lol
:stpd:

hate to say it, those are not gonna work too well for yah kairles... frankly not at all.... they're way way to short! theres a reason spools are the size they are ... this is what no cut slider pucks look like!!

even with those on the left side.. when my old man tipped my bike over, they barely saved my fairings....
yes i know they're frame sliders... but of course they help on parking lot tip overs as well...
short arse pucks will do absolutely nothing but 'cause more damage for yah...

if you've got good quality no cuts on there, purchase dedicated pucks for 'em... dont cheap out... you'll hate yourself later. :epimp

#2,648 ·
Have only had my R1 for a full 2 days, so I got started with smoked flush mount turn signals, and I re-wired my running lights as turn signals as well. Looks great. The "flush" mounts ended up being a little bit recessed but I still dig it...way more than the stock ones for sure.

Levers are next on the list...then exhaust. I'm thinking Yoshi R77.

#2,649 ·
I bought my bike 2 weeks ago and noticed some damage a few days later, so I started digging last weekend and well lets just say it has been totalled at some point and a piss poor effort at repairing it done!!! So in the last week Ive completely stripped it back to a bare frame and over the coming weeks its getting rebuilt to be a tech 3 yamaha replica. Fortunately the engine and running gear is spot on and it rides awesome so its purely a cosmetic problem ;-)

#2,652 ·
sold it :(

#2,656 ·
Did this more for the left side engine cover(right has a woodcraft cover). Should be long enough so if I drop it the case wont be completely destroyed. Im doing a trackday in 2 weeks and wont have $$ for the case cover before that. Once I get the other cover the sliders are going in the trash. If I crash the fairings/bike are the last thing I'll be worried about.

#2,658 ·
Picked up a mint 08 last week and being the rookie I am(been about 4 years since my last r1) I over looked a crucial part on the bike. I never even looked at the chain until 2 nights ago and couldn't believe how caked it was. It was so bad that i never even noticed the vortex sprocket and gold chain. I actually ordered the 520 conversion with 16/47 sprockets the morning before. Went home that night so start dis-assembly to realize i already had the conversion lol Anyways long story short i spent last night cleaning up my bling Theres a beofre and after

Attachments

#2,677 ·
hahahaha... yeah thats what i said this morning as well!! :boobies :scared

#2,662 ·
What are you going to do with your other set of adjusters...:sneaky....or were they stock....Nothing else on the bike is stock....:crash....

#2,697 ·
I'm going to send the old set back to OPP Racing :crash Somehow the chain-said adjuster stripped and the bolt wouldn't grab the adjuster :dunno

added ohlins 30mm forks,batfly rotors for front,ricky moto ultralite for rear,and brembo rcs master...only two mods to go wheels and something in nickel....?oh yea and a moto d stem mount with contour mounted/and qstarz lap timer
I am in love with your bike :bow

sweet!! let us know if you have any other issues with the chain adjusters... i'm going with Gilles :fact
Just came back from the track yesterday with no issues... Even had to remove and replace my rear wheel mid-day... I guess my first set was just a defective pair as the new ones work flawlessly :fact