Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

TAD158's 09 Raven Build Thread

111K views 747 replies 83 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 · (Edited)
When I originally bought the bike I was dead set on not touching the bike. Then I joined this forum:crash So here are all the mods that I have done to the bike so far.

I have enjoyed tinkering with the bike, as well as designing and building some of the pieces myself. I have done all the work my self or with the help of a friend or two along the way. Also, I would like to thank every one here on the forum for all the great advice, know how, and ideas. I have also picked up a number of parts from either the forum vendors, or individuals selling used parts. I am very thankful to get parts at a discount these days.

I need to get new pictures for lots of these, I will work on that as the summer comes up.

These are the parts I have built myself:

Custom Fender Eliminator,
This was my first mod. I was fed up with the stock look of the rear fender on the 09, so I drew up a set of plans in CAD and went down to the machine shop and spent a few lunch hours milling it out. I had my welder friend weld it up. It uses the stock blinkers, because I like the visibility, and am not bothered by them. I threw some paint on it and boom... I used DEI LED bolt lights for the plate lights. I think it suits the look of the bike better than the stock one.

Custom Extra Heavy Bar Ends
I designed and machined a set of custom extra heavy bar ends.

They are nearly twice as heavy as the stock ones. The stock one is in the middle (above), and right (below).

Custom Rear Brake Reservoir Relocation Bracket
I wanted to remove the passenger pegs but the '09 needs a bracket to hang the reservoir. I found some sheet metal and bent and cut it into the bracket. I made a little R1 mask by printing the image on a shipping label. Shot some paint at it, and popped it on the bike.

Custom Clutch Sliders
I wanted to add some protection to the bike. Inspired by some of the people with some of the different brands of sliders, I designed and machined these on a lathe.

These are the mods that I have installed:
I will work on adding more details here soon.

Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders
So I had been working on designing frame sliders for the R1, and after a few hours of autocad work, I finished the left side one, and printed the drawing, and said "wow thats a lot of machine work, to mill that bracket." I called up Rider's Discount and found out that the Shogun no-cut frame sliders were less expensive than I thought they were. I said the heck with it, and bought them. I am happy that I did that because my schedule has gotten crazy as of late, and just haven't had (and wont in the near future) the time to play in the machine shop.

Ok on to the Shogun's. They are great quality, and the fit and finish is great. The instructions were not in the box, but they have a great web site and I was able to find the instructions easily in PDF format.

The sliders went on the bike in no more than 30 minutes, and look great. They are very beefy, and have what I think is the best style mounting system.

Spiegler Rennsport SS Front Brake Lines
These lines are a nice upgrade to the front brakes. I need new pictures of these, because I have since fixed the routing.

Spiegler SS Rear Brake Line
The rear brake line is a nice piece. It fit great, and works well. It adds nicely to the front line.

Harri's YZFR1 Sport Bike Grips
Ok so I did the grips because I liked the way the look.

I admit that they are a bit of bling, but I like them.

Zero Gravity Light Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen

I wanted to get some of the air off of my helmet when cruising along. I also like the look of the dark windscreen. This was one of the things that I picked up used from the for sale part of the forum at a nice discount. It showed up in great condition and all I did was clean it up and install it. I think it looks real nice, and the fit is great everywhere along the gaps.

M4 Y-Pipe
I went for an M4 Y pipe to drop the heavy cat from the bike. It is amazing now much of a weight difference there is between the stock cat and this pipe. It fit very nicely, and has excellent build quality. Thanks to Riders Discount for a great price on this pipe.

Vance and Hines CS One Exhaust
I got the Vance and Hines CS One pipes from another member on the for sale part of the forum. I originally fell in love with these pipes at the GO race in Indy. I really like the way they look, and they sound AMAZING!.

The best shot of the transformation is comparing the new pipes to the OEM pipes from the back.

The best part about these pipes is how amazingly loud they are, like go hide the children loud.:scared It is so nice to actually hear the bike when I ride it now. It is like a 4 cylinder symphony in my ears.:riding

I tried to take a video of it, but it doesn't even do it justice so I am not even going to bother posting it up.

Flash-Tune 3/4 Tune Re-Flash with QS
After doing the exhaust, the bike needed a new map. After reading all the great info about the Flash-Tune flashing interface, I decided to jump on with both feet and go for it. This is quite possibly the best mod I have done. I have flashed the bike a number of times now in order to tweak in the engine breaking. Flash-Tune also has also provided a dyno tune map that they have made on thier dyno. I have to say that the bike runs way better now.

The other great feature is the quick shifter (QS). The QS is incorporated right into the ECU, no extra piggy back units. I went the route where I just added an ECU pin on the end of my PCV style normally closed QS sensor, and grounded the other end. The action is super smooth and it is like driving an automatic now. It is so cool and my most favorite mod so far.

Suspension Setup:
No picture for this one, Meister37 adjusted my suspension at my first track day at Putnam. I had never touched the suspension from what it came with from the factory. What a difference he made with just a few clicks and twists of some wrenches. Now the bike goes into the corner, and sits down and sticks like it never did before!

Tires:
Picked up a new set of Bridgestone Battlax BT-003RS. Finally burnt off my stock tires at my first track day. Review on these to come.

See less See more
Reactions: Hugo~09 Raven
#112 ·
When Jason set it up by eye, he didn't have much complaints about the rear I think....though that was nearly a year now.

#116 ·
Apparently 1.0 is the stiffest spring that RT makes for the 09+ R1 fork. DanQ said that it may be a tick stiff for the street but should be fine for the track.

#118 ·
Thankyou for the kind words.:bow

#119 · (Edited)
I finally got all the parts, oil and tools collected to finish the compression fork tonight.

I had to make one more tool. When you remove the top cap, it is very beneficial to have a thin 17mm open end. I learned this by reading the service manual, where the call out a wrench that is no thicker than 4mm thick and when I took the top cap off it was a pain with the normal thickness 17mm open end wrench. So I found my self waking around Menard's, and walked by the clearance rack, where they had a set of cheap Chinese metric combination wrenches that included a 17mm combination wrench, for 6$! So I picked it up and brought it in to the shop!.... About an hour later I had a 17mm open end wrench that was 3.98 mm thick. Thank god for carbide end mills....:sneaky....

This is a comparison of the two springs. The stock progressive spring is on the left, the new RaceTech straight rate 1kg/mm is on the right.

I can't wait to see what these springs do for the handling of the bike. Those springs along with some new fork seals and DanQ recommended Maxima Racing Fork Fluid, the fork leg went back together in about 30 minutes. The other leg will be done tomorrow afternoon.

I was a little bummed that the stickers RT give you with the springs, seemingly for the fork outer tubes, don't stick to the tube!:rant: I guess my forks will be stealth, Jason will like that....:lol

#121 ·
Anything special needed for the rebound side that you don't have yet ?

#122 ·
:no (at least I don't think so I will know more tomorrow :lol ), they come apart and go together the same, the valving just works in the opposite direction.

#124 ·
No CNC, these machines are all from the 1920's vintage, it is the "student shop," aka the shop they let grad-students, post-docs, faculty and lab techs use. They don't even have digital readout. But they are plenty good enough to keep 0.002" tolerances if you work really hard, 0.005" tolerances are easy if you don't do anything dumb. We do have an awesome shop supervisor that is SUPER knowledgeable and very helpful. I owe Gary many beers by now :fact:bow He has taught me so much about how to machine parts it isn't even funny.

#127 ·
Damn i need to find someone with a cnc and willing to try some parts for me..
I will give you credit man, i just did not like machine work..the thought was cool but the actual task just did not appeal to me.

#126 ·
Thats why I was ticked....When I peeled the backing off the stickers they are not even that sticky to the touch....:(

#132 ·
Well I added some heat via my heat gun and I got one to stick on the fork. I think maybe because the fork and sticker were cold from being out in my garage they were not happy. We will see if the sticker is still on there in the am....:dunno

#133 ·
This is why having the thin wrench is handy. You need to get a 17mm on that thin lock nut. I used a smaller wench to hold the damping rod up above the spacer.

Then you can fit the thin 17mm wrench under the top cap and the other wrench spin the top cap off. Easy as pie. I love having the right tools. :fact

Now that the fork is done draining, time to go put it back together.

#134 ·
The right tools are everything, but more importantly the knowledge on how to use them properly or even make :rock

#135 · (Edited)
Got both forks done! :jump Once the stickers and outer tube were warmed up the stickers finally stayed put.

Put everything back together, and happy. I reset the rebound and compression adjusters back to where Jason had put them when he set up my bike that day. I think it will need more preload, but that remains to be measured, once I can talk my buddy into giving me a had measuring that.

#138 ·
Thanks guys. :thumbup

#140 ·
Just springs for right now. $$$ is going toward track days. The valving isn't that bad, if PJ can run in A group with 20K mi on his OEM forks with no rebuild...I should be just find with my slow B group pace...:hammer:....I figured that I wanted to do an oil change, and the RT springs were very affordable (enough to be a Christmas gift), so why not while I was in there. I would like to do the rear, but that will probably have to wait till next year when I hopefully have a real paying job.:(

#145 ·
Good to hear. I can't wait to get on the track with it.

#146 ·
I spent some lunches in the machine shop fabricating a new shift lever for the R1 out of a single chunk of 6061 billet:sneaky:. This way I can use my QS sensor for GP shift pattern.

Only time will tell how dyslexic I really am when it comes to shifting with the reverse pattern...:lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.