Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09-12 R1 Stock Airbox Mod

18K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  Ferry86 
#1 ·
i've searched everywhere and i cant find anything about it... where's the link/thread for it? thanks in advanced!

#2 ·
Its under euro airbox mod.

#4 ·
Not sure how much it helps,but sure can't hurt it seeing that the euro versions are this way stock. Probably EPA noise related.

#11 ·
subscribed!!!

#12 ·
I contacted sharkskinz and this is the reply I got

Hi,
It is called a plenum and I understand that it's quite involved to get it installed. We don't have instructions because we made it for the Yamaha race team and they do the installing. It is available to sell, though, and will cost $250.00. You will also need the race upper $340.00, and the snorkels $230.00. You will need to remove the throttle bodies to install - somewhat of a complicated task overall. It is not designed for street use.

Thanks,
Mary

I have ordered the plenum and it will be here next week. Will order one piece at a time. Winter time project. It looks more time consuming than anything else but definately will be worth it. :flex:

#16 ·
Just got the plenum from sharkskinz, Looks fantastic

Next couple weeks will order the ram air tubes from them to fit

Attachments

#19 ·
I painted the plenum flat black haha. As for the person saying it only looks good. :shake

The plenum is the superbike plenum the ones used on the superbikes. Look carefully as it flows way more air. Combined with more fuel = more hp

The plenum will not work with the stock intakes. You have to get the superbike ram air tubes and bodywork for everything to work perfect. Will be getting the tubes next in the next couple weeks.

Will post the tubes up when I get them

#20 ·
The motor will not have to be tilted but the whole airbox assembly has to come off to do this mod. I will be changing the plugs at the same time

#21 ·
awesome.! thanks for diving in... looking forward to the pics!...

#23 ·
The ram air tubes are on there way. Have sanded and painted the plenum flat black with clear coat not like anyone is going to see it haha. Will Do the same with the tubes. After that its just the upper fairing.:riding

#25 ·
Update. I got the ram air tubes and painted them. put up a few pics of them. just looking at them its obvious that they can flow way more air. Next on the list is the body work and a pc5 and sfm.

Attachments

#28 ·
I tried getting a bigger airbox but have not heard back about it. Would have been perfect.

#29 ·
Update. I have the PC5 and the SFM. will order the bodywork and I will have all the parts. I'm looking to do a baseline dyno run in march when it warms. Will keep u updated.

#30 ·
Update. I have the race upper end lower on there way to me now from shark skinz. Next step in a few weeks is to do a baseline run.

#34 ·
I plan on doing some dyno tuning July 4 weekend. Be baseline run and tune before the superbike intake mod. Working a lot so it's taking a little time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.