Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

How to install MPS Tether Kill Switch

7K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  RATED_XXX 
#1 ·
Thought I would give some detail on installing a MPS Tether Kill Switch on an 02 R1.

1. Buy kill switch from MPS or McCoys

2. Remove bar end from throttle side

3. Remove bolts from throttle housing and pull throttle away from engine run and start pod

4. Remove screws from engine run and start pod and pull apart

5. Locate red wire with black tracer and cut (this is were you will tie in the two wires from the MPS tether)

6. Solder wires and shrink tube connections and run wires through same hole as factory wires.

7. Turn bike on and test before putting engine run pod back together.

Now the time consuming parts!

9. The throttle and engine run pod need to be moved to the right to allow enough room to mount the tether on the clip-on.

9. To do this correctly you will need to dremel out the factory clip-on to move the throttle and engine pod over. The factory clip-ons are grooved to keep the engine run and throttle in place.

10. A spacer will need to be made for the bar end. Unless you make custom bar ends and a spacer will not be needed.

11. Now put everything back together.

I will try to post detailed pics as soon as I can get the macro function figured out on my camera. Close ups are coming out very blurry.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.