Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I would have to see it first...

Votes: 8 47.1%

Bike Builder Magazine

2K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  SakiBomb 
#1 · (Edited)
So this is basically a thought coming into words...

I currently do the graphic and layout designs for a magazine my family started and I now run. It is a state-wide magazine that covers the state of NC as well as the edges of the boarding states (VA, TN, SC) about horses(trail riding to be exact).

Well bikes are definitely my passion, so I've been thinking about the possibility of a bike builder magazine. Here are my thoughts...

We all love watching other people's builds. Anywhere from crazy bike morphs to awesome performance mods. So why not have a magazine that includes a few awesome bike builds together each month for everyone to enjoy in the palm of their hand? Let YOU GUYS write some articles about your know-how. And have some exclusive deals from our wonderful vendors.

I'm thinking I would mainly dedicate it to bike builds, but also have sections to keep everyone updated on specific race tech, standings, the "important" news updates, etc. All solely on sportbikes. The biggest thing, I would LOVE for it to make it nation-wide.

If I can get enough positive feedback on this, I'll spend my next year to see if I can get this thing started.

It would probably be a 12 month subscription, getting 12 issues, for $40-$50? (These are just quick-thought numbers. It solely depends on advertisers and support)

It does cost a lot, and it's a risk, so feedback is KEY.

Again, I'm just throwing my thoughts out there. What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds unique in the aspect that bike builder mags are usually limited to the crazy custom chopper scene, and you're saying yours would not be (I'm hoping). I would love to see a magazine based solely on sport bike builds. If that got off the ground, I'd be jealous (I live in southern california).

#3 ·
I updated the original post with some info. You covered two things I forgot to mention. I would love for it to make it nationwide(that involves some GOOD advertisers) and it would definitely be based solely on sportbikes.

Seems like the only magazines out there are like you said, crazy chopper builds costing $50k and fully professional. I think it would do some good to have a more logical approach to bike builds and include some of US (the general public).

#5 ·
Dude, that'd be so awesome, I'd probably sh*t my pants while doing a backflip out a high rise building after setting my hair on fire and shooting a mixture of pandas blood and cocaine and snorting whipped cream.

#9 ·
If I can get enough positive feedback on this, I'll spend my next year to see if I can get this thing started.

It would probably be a 12 month subscription, getting 12 issues, for $40-$50? (These are just quick-thought numbers. It solely depends on advertisers and support)

It does cost a lot, and it's a risk, so feedback is KEY.

#11 ·
What we did with our current published magazine was just that. A 3 month introductory period where we gave out 15,000 copies. This is probably what would be done with this one to get the word, and the magazine itself out in the hands of potential subscribers.

#16 ·
I appreciate that a lot. I could probably use some help from the west side of the nation when I start to put this together. I wont forget ya. :thumbup

#22 ·
Only my humble opinion....

If an American magazine about sportbike mods was a solid idea, someone would have done it by now. Road Racer X folded. Most American motorcycle magazines are milk-toast and boring. SSB managed to beat out 2Wheel Tuner as the only 'sportbike-oriented' magazine in the states, now 2WT is gone. Unfortunately, your target audience is rather small, and won't be enough to sustain the magazine for any length of time.

Your magazine will satisfy a core group of riders, but we're the minority. As much as 'chopper builds' might not be our cup 'o tea, they are popular in the American mainstream. Out here in Virginia, most bikes are stretched, bling, and chrome. You'd sell very few mags here. You'd sell a bunch in California, but again, that's a small target group.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see your magazine idea take off. Might be best to talk with editors at SSB, and see what kind of data they'd share with you.

#24 ·
Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see your magazine idea take off. Might be best to talk with editors at SSB, and see what kind of data they'd share with you.
You're probably right, but I really don't see ssb doing that at all. I mean, c'mon, giving out info like that is like handing bullets to the enemy.

You do have a point about there not being a huge market of sport riders, and it's almost ALWAYS coastal, but I say still give it a shot. Seriously, it sounds pretty good.

I did a little research and one thing I found is that statistically, the "track" and "racing" aesthetic appeals more to people on the west coast. Your "stretched and bling" groups tend to be more east coast, with some exceptions of course.

Oh, and there's also Sport Rider Mag!

#29 ·
Well, look at it this way...

1. Those magazines have a settled foundation and they are to a point to be able to only charge $8-$15 a year.

2. That $40 a year subscription is what I would have to start out at since it is a new magazine.

3. $40 a year is just under .11 a day and less than a dollar a week. So if you drink soda, hold off on ONE soda each week and you can get this magazine.

Only 2000 subscribers is considered successful? I don't know crap about that industry, but getting 2000 subscribers sounds entirely doable to me.
Believe it or not, yes. Granted, I will need 1 page of advertisers per page of printed information, but most magazines these days are too full of nonsense ads (almost twice as many ads as printed info). I can't throw figures out there, but take my word for that. :thumbup

I subscribe to Sport Rider, SSB, Motorcyclist and a few others from the UK that cost as much as a car payment to receive monthly.

Im always bitching about the air brushed crap in SSB. The few issues I have really enjoyed featured bikes from this forum.

Personally I would pay $50 all day long for a magazine as you describe. However as said above. Limited target audience.

If you was serious about it and could find some reliable figures pointing to a large enuff reader base to make a profit.... well then I would be interested in investing a large portion into the project. That is if you began looking for an investor
One figure I can give you is this... The general number to start a magazine is $100,000. We were our own investors when we started our current magazine, but depending on the figures I can put together for this one being nationwide, even worldwide, you might be of help sir.

#28 ·
I subscribe to Sport Rider, SSB, Motorcyclist and a few others from the UK that cost as much as a car payment to receive monthly.

Im always bitching about the air brushed crap in SSB. The few issues I have really enjoyed featured bikes from this forum.

Personally I would pay $50 all day long for a magazine as you describe. However as said above. Limited target audience.

If you was serious about it and could find some reliable figures pointing to a large enuff reader base to make a profit.... well then I would be interested in investing a large portion into the project. That is if you began looking for an investor

#31 ·
Hahahaha. Oh helllll naw. Although there could be a "squid bin" section, then burnz and z064life won't feel left out. :hammer:

#34 · (Edited)
I voted no. As much as I appreciate the builds, info, etc. I just don't see a need for it. I do, however, subscribe to RRW digital. Though, rarely read it (it's only $30 for three years, IIRC).

#38 ·
That's what I'm trying to avoid. If it was an online magazine, people would just search the internet for their answers as opposed to paying $40 a year to log into a magazine on the computer.

By having a physical copy of the magazine, it will put in hand ALL the news, builds, updates, etc. that a person would otherwise have to search all over the internet to get.

My strategy for the magazine being more inviting than the internet is being able to have all the info, all the pictures, all the articles, in ONE book. Whereas on the internet, it's spread through the whole web. You won't have to spend time searching numerous different track updates or bike builds, they'll come to you each month in the mail.

#39 ·
I voted 'I would have to see it first...', because even though it definitely intrigues me, I'd want to see it before committing to it. I like the idea of the 3-month trial subscription and would be in for that. If what you say came to pass, the content featured would be a great read and inspirational.

As someone mentioned to take it online, I would second that. I subscribed to at least 3 different mags last year and it was turning into a pain with the stacks building up, so I signed up for webcopies. Sure, I could google all my problems away, but I like reading mags and I think it would make your audience grow since it's worldwide. Zinio is a great site imo. They give me a bigger discount for subscriptions than receiving a hardcopy, and saves me from having to throw out stacks of paper every month.

Your last post seems kind of moot. There are issues that everyone runs into that most likely won't be featured in that month's rag. With information so readily available, all someone has to do is Google. That is a bad thing for any mag, web or hardcopy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.