Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Headwork Winter Project

2M views 21K replies 174 participants last post by  Jan Okal 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there guys, thought some of you might find this interesting…

I’m doing some headwork on my 2003 R1 over winter. I own a bike shop in the UK and it’s getting up to the quiet period for me and I have been planning to do this for a long time.
Because I own a bike shop I obviously have access to the workshop, tools and resources to do work like this and it got me thinking, what I can do to my engine to make it the way I want with the minimum amount of money spent. I’m on quite a tight budget (owning a bike shop hasn’t made me the millionaire I hoped it would but I wouldn’t change it for the world!). I have a list of things I plan to do which I’ll go into in a bit.

Firstly, I’d like to say thanks to a few people on here who’ve helped me out already with the info/specs I was missing and given me some great advice as to going about things. They know who they are. Also, thanks to the people who make this great source of information possible, the guys who run this forum. :beer

For future readers, please check out this thread also as it contains some very useful info on tools I use and additional information from other users.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185329 Thanks to BSR-1 for starting that thread.

See less See more
#20,462 ·
:( I kno. Too bad I don't have at least a bit more money to play around with the bike. I might be able to post questions or findings :lol
Same thing stops me. No money.

I got a 2011 S1000RR but all I've done is a Graves full system, a PC-V and some Apex bars.

I'd love to tear it all apart and get more power but time and money stop me. That and I promised myself that I wouldn't ruin the warranty on this one until it's paid for.

Honestly the thing's fast as hell already. It has WAY more bottom end than an R1 and I've only hit the rev limiter 1 time.
I can cruise around at 4000 rpms and just roll on and it takes off.

My 05R1 I'd have to be at 6 or 7 grand to say the same and I hit the rev limiter all the time.

#20,463 ·
Probably possible but the magnets are what's generating the juice. I suspect that reducing the magnets will reduce the juice.
Also just a guess.
Yes smaller magnets= less juice but it also equals more bhp as this is acting like a brake on the engine. The standard rotor is oversized for me and I also like the idea of keeping some of the weight in the std. one. Not that it will make too much of a difference I think. The shorter magnets will though.

#20,464 ·
Yes smaller magnets= less juice but it also equals more bhp as this is acting like a brake on the engine. The standard rotor is oversized for me and I also like the idea of keeping some of the weight in the std. one. Not that it will make too much of a difference I think. The shorter magnets will though.
In that case, I'd say try it, you have the YEC as a back up if it doesn't work.
Please post up the progress pics and results here!

Will you put it on a lathe to make sure that it's centrally balanced?

Also can you post pics of the two of them side by side so we can see the difference?

#20,466 ·
Same thing stops me. No money.

I got a 2011 S1000RR but all I've done is a Graves full system, a PC-V and some Apex bars.

I'd love to tear it all apart and get more power but time and money stop me. That and I promised myself that I wouldn't ruin the warranty on this one until it's paid for.

Honestly the thing's fast as hell already. It has WAY more bottom end than an R1 and I've only hit the rev limiter 1 time.
I can cruise around at 4000 rpms and just roll on and it takes off.

My 05R1 I'd have to be at 6 or 7 grand to say the same and I hit the rev limiter all the time.
is the BMW that much different / a lift over the R1 ? If anything ever happenned to my 99 that would be the bike I'd get -the HP4 edition is what I would shoot for

#20,467 ·
is the BMW that much different / a lift over the R1 ? If anything ever happenned to my 99 that would be the bike I'd get -the HP4 edition is what I would shoot for
I hate to sound like I'm anti R1 (I'm not) but it's a night and day difference.
My 05 had a LOT of work done to it (167HP) ported, milled, degreed cams, 3 angle valve job, ported throttle bodies, custom airbox/filter, PC111, Akro Evo, custom fuel map, -1+2 520 kit......It was the most powerful 04-06 ever tested on the dyno at Costa Mesa's Mach1.

All I've done (on the S1000) is the graves system and PC-V with the "off the shelf" map and this is the fastest bike I've ever ridden and has WAY more bottom end power and top end.

NIGHT and DAY!

#20,468 ·
I hate to sound like I'm anti R1 (I'm not) but it's a night and day difference.
My 05 had a LOT of work done to it (167HP) ported, milled, degreed cams, 3 angle valve job, ported throttle bodies, custom airbox/filter, PC111, Akro Evo, custom fuel map, -1+2 520 kit......It was the most powerful 04-06 ever tested on the dyno at Costa Mesa's Mach1.

All I've done (on the S1000) is the graves system and PC-V with the "off the shelf" map and this is the fastest bike I've ever ridden and has WAY more bottom end power and top end.

NIGHT and DAY!
how is the handling and the suspension ? what about the comfort after miles in the seat ?

#20,469 ·
how is the handling and the suspension ? what about the comfort after miles in the seat ?
Handling is good but the rear spring is too hard for me (170 without gear) and the front forks are too soft.
I crank the preload all the way up (in the front) and the ride is very harsh but it still bottoms out on every ride.

I've just come up with the Idea of reducing preload but adding more fork oil to help prevent bottoming?? we'll see if it helps when I get around to it.

Dave Moss will rebuild the forks with stiffer springs for 500.00 but right now my budget is TIGHT!

#20,471 ·
Sounds like somebody needs to send you another head to port then :lol
Ya, I wish.
I really am good at it and reasonably priced but a lot of people want flow bench #'s and other crap that i don't have access to.

Did I tell you about my DR 650? I made a 49% power increase on that and it turned out to be the most powerful DR in the world.
Did that transfer into more porting work? no.

Honestly, if I had money I'd send my stuff to Tim.
I'm no where near Tim's abilities but few people are (none that i know of).

Short of Tim and Mark, I'm the best at porting that I know of!

#20,472 ·
Kinda strange how we're the only ones left around here...
This used to be THE spot for any real info.
I had no idea, I had rarely time in the last 18 months to keep up with much, I rarely posted anywhere as a result. I am only just after finding out some of the stuff after digging about abit, what a great pity:(

I am going to start reading things again from where I had last read every page (p326)its gonna be a lot of enjoyable reading, with all the amazing projects people achieved helped each other on.
I really do hope to see this thread burst to life again, its mega! This thread was what was directly responsable for building my 08 r1 sbk to what it is today, I am very grateful for all the help I got from you guys when I knew little.
Between Mark, Tim and Bsr, and others you thought me how to port my first bike, and my knowledge has developed from there, Thanks guys.
The rotor project I will continue on the 08 thread. I believe its possible to machine now after some research but difficult, with special gear needed. I will probably need to waste a lot of rotors to find the right sppeed /feed rate, but I think possible, failing that I am thinking of spark errosion. I also have a few other ideas but they are more expensive than plan A.

#20,474 ·
Re reading this thread from the begining of time . Its taken a week of evenings to make it to January 2008 . Going to do some engine work this winter . Incredibly good info in this thread . Got notebook out writing everything down .
Good Idea about the notebook.
There is a LOT of good info in here but there's a lot of stuff in between.
Thank You for reading it through! This thread deserves not to die!

P.S. I'm obviously not the smartest of the bunch in here but if I can ever help, shoot me a PM.

#20,477 ·
Decking block with Nikasil liners

Need some advice from those with experience -

Just received a replated '00 block from Millenium. While the bores look great, are straight and finished honed very nicely the gasket surface on the block does'nt look great in that it has been chemically etched (roughened) from the plating process (see pic). I want to get the block decked not only to get back a proper sealing surface but to get the P to H clearance I want (need .010" taken off).

Has anyone had any issues decking/surfacing with the Nikasil plating - Millenium does'nt recommend it as they say the plating can chip but I think with a good radius/chamfering around the top of the bore there should'nt be any problems. They recommended grinding instead but grinding alumimum presents a whole mess of it's own problems (namely keeping the grinding stone from clogging) and I'm not even going to go there.

Thanks

Rob

Attachments

#20,478 ·
I think with a good radius/chamfering around the top of the bore there should'nt be any problems.

Rob
I think you're right. If you can chamfer it first, (carefully) and then mill.
I have seen chipped/cracked bores (as I'm sure you have if you've read the entire thread) but it wasn't caused by milling.
Also, the surface, while not shiny, looks pretty good to me. Are you sure it won't seal properly?
I've always used gaskets to achieve the piston to head (squish) that I needed.

#20,479 · (Edited)
I have seen chipped/cracked bores (as I'm sure you have if you've read the entire thread) but it wasn't caused by milling.
Also, the surface, while not shiny, looks pretty good to me. Are you sure it won't seal properly?
A head gasket won't seal on an etched surface can it? What are gaskets made from? Copper? Copper won't seal on etched, it's supposed to be smooth

Some are multi layer steel, other are graphite composite. I don't know what the r1's are, I've never changed a head gasket on a bike. I know my cars were steel composites and needed a smooth surface

#20,480 ·
I talked to Cometic gasket today and they said if you drag your fingernail across it and it feels rough then you run the risk of it leaking.

This all started when Repoman posted he had an oil leak after engine reassembly with a Millenium plated block. After comparing pictures of his block against mine they look very close in terms of finish (dull grey instead of somewhat shiny).

Decking the block will ensure a nice smooth mating surface and I can adjust for P to H numbers and use a standard gasket instead of the special order .010" gasket I'm using now (single leaf spring steel gasket with Viton coating).

The biggest concern I have of course is damaging the Nikasil during the milling process but if the top of the bore is relieved enough as you pointed out there should'nt be any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.