Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Help Stolen bike.

3K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  xTomKx 
#1 ·
As some may know i got my new R1 last week. So went out on it today for a last little ride before putting her down for the winter. Got back home after riding for about an hour, left the bike at the front of the house but i just don't know why i didn't put the steering lock on. I only had to go into the house so i could unlock the back gate.

So i went in found my gate keys in there usual place, unlocked the back gate, walked back through the house putting the keys back, took my helmet off and gloves and went back outside. The bike was gone, i flipped ruining up and down the road checking peoples gardens knocking on doors. I ended up two streets away where some builders said they had seen two young lads pushing a bike towards a park. I phoned the police and a friend and to cut a longer story short we found the bike dumped in some woods.

My bike is covered in mud on the left side where they had dropped it and each side panel has a hole where they squeezed it through some concrete posts. But my main concern is she wont start, the engine is turning over but not firing up, Any ideas???

Thanks..

#2 ·
Dam that sux but the more troubling thing is those guys have been watching you for a while. Take the bike to a shop for the starting issues but check to see if they cut any wires and check the kill switch as well. Secondly from now on take the gate keys with you and hopefully you have a full garage in the back yard if not bring it in the hosue for a while because I think they will try again. Good luck mate

#4 ·
The bike actually sits in my dinning room when im not riding it and im not sure they've been watching me. First this is only the second time ive been out on it and from the description of the little bastards that took it they were very young, 13 or 14.

My first thought was that they may have cut wires or unplugged something, when i turn it on the temp is showing high and its not showing the traction control setting or riding mode....

The shop are going to be picking it up, there just arranging a time and will be calling me later. The two new side panels are going to cost me £400. I would just like to know why it won't start so they can't add loads onto the bill for repairs...

Cheers...

#3 ·
Damn that sucks dude glad you were able to recover your bike immediately :fact

+1 you def want to check the ignition wires (start from under the top triple clamp) as they probably tried to get it started... There are many thing that could keep the bike from starting like the TOS (Tip Over Sensor)... If you are not mechanically inclined take it to a bike shop :fact

And FWIW, buy wheel locks and keep your bike chained to something stationary! :yesnod

#9 ·
Thats the trouble mate im not mechanically minded, down to being fvcking lazy on my part. Thats why i loved your bike build so much, im doing my best to learn as much as possible...

I will post a picture of where i keep my bike in the dining room when i can find my ipad...

#6 ·
Your right mate they do need hanging ive been making calls and some names have come up, im not going to say to much on the internet for obvious reasons but they took the wrong bike from the wrong person..

I spoke to Garry at Wigan mate, he tells me that the safety device only works when the bike is running with the key in the ignition, so it might not be that..

#14 ·
I work in Wigan and have for years, my first day working there 4 lads jumped out of a transit van and lifted my alarmed, padlocked and disc locked bike into the back of a transit van the CCTV didn’t even deter them, the police never found the bike or van even though they got the number plate! 2 weeks after getting my brand new YZF 750 (4 weeks after theft) a guy drove into the side of me while I was riding out of work nearly killing me and doing 3k worth of damage to my pride and joy. Needless to say I don’t take my bike to work now! Once it’s sorted you won’t leave it for a second like me!

#15 ·
Fvck mate that is some bad luck, i would never dream of touching someones property and trust me ive done some naughty things in the past. I know their talking about some new form of tagging which is supposed to reduce bike theft, i hope it works and they introduce it as soon as possible.

Theres a real rough estate about a mile away from where i live and this is where the little bastards have come from. They've seen an opportunity and taken it without much thought to how they were ever going to start the bike or use it for anything. Theres a so called main man that is supposed to be the "daddy" on that estate when it comes to crime and who does what. Ive just received his address and will be calling later tonight, punish him and he should in turn punish the culprits as well as give me names...

My friend who found the bike has agreed to pay for all the damage as its my birthday soon, what a great guy. Its given me hope again as many people living here helped us look for the bike, and ive had dozens of knocks on the door to congratulate me for recovering it.. Community spirit is still alive...

#17 ·
If you end up finding the guys who did it. DON'T post here you found them. Get a couple of mates you can trust and pay them a visit. Just remember to wear gloves and masks and move the bodies away from the scene to dump them. Change clothes and have the old ones burned. Keep your alibi's simple with your mates. No elaborate stories. You all were hanging out at home watching TV. Make sure you know what was on. Keep it short and don't deviate from your story.

#21 ·
Matt I swear you were at mine the whole night talking bikes! I am sure you can always find someone to do a job for you for £100, would be money well spent. What a great true friend you have there and also in your community, it would be just a nice gesture from them, for you to wake one morning with a couple of bodies in front of your house pmsl

#22 ·
Cheers Steve, but it is all sorted....

Just to give you an idea of how the police here performed......

I phoned them just minuets after the bike was stolen, they told me they would dispatch someone within the hour. A female police officer phoned me about an hour after my original call to say she had driven around the area but couldn't see anything, she told me that she was now going on her dinner break and would have another drive around later in the day. She's never called back. I then received a call from the finger print guy's to say they would be round soon to look for fingerprints. They never turned up instead they phoned at midnight to say they would be here this morning as yet theres no sign...

#23 ·
With my bike it was the main relay... Mines a 2001 but it may be the same on yours. It is what controls all the start/no start functions. I finally wound up deleting the kick-stand switch as well.

Sorry to hear about your bike man... I know how it feels.

#25 ·
So the damage done has been located and will be fixed this week.

The little bastards that tried to rob my bike had yanked on the wires coming from the ignition damaging the ignition aerial which im told by the dealer can not be fixed. I presume they saw the red light flashing on the dash and presumed it was some kind of alarm and pulled on the wires causing that light to stop flashing.

The dealer tells me that when "High Temp" shows on the dash with nothing else this is a fault code for signal loss from the aerial.

To fix the two side panels and ignition is costing me £900 which is about $1300 although the dealer claimed i needed 2 new indicators as they were damaged, i told him that i had already examined them closely and found no damage......

#31 ·
No worries mate....

its too bad you are not mechanically inclined...

It could have been a job for you over the winter as you were about to store it anyhow.

By the sound of it the dealer is already trying to squeeze you for repairs not needed. If you do need new indictors - by sme cool flush mounts and plug them in yourself. (all you need to do is undo a nut or 2 and plug in a couple of wires).

How much of the cost is service vs. parts? If you are getting OEM fairings that is probably the biggest cost. You could serach ebay or get some aftermarkets that would be a lot less and work just as well....

If hope you find the little buggers who stole your bike. too bad the cops don't care about incidents like this.

Minors have an advantage when it comes to crime in most places - which is not right IMO.
I shall get a full break down of parts and labour next week, this will be with luck the last time i use them.

This is the problem i find with dealers, their so short sighted, i had already told them that i would like them to do all my services and mods. So in the next 12 months alone i would be spending up to £3000 and they would have a customer for life. So instead of thinking cool, we will keep this guy's bills as low as possible their trying to rinse every last £ out of me. This will be the last time i use them...

buy a gun and a hunting knife and a very sensitive 2 way pager alarm and next time shoot the lil bastards in the knees, drag them back to your house, hang them from your garage by their feet, gut the pricks and mail their innards to the parents and post a video on youtube to deter all future would be bike thieves.... people have no ****ing respect... sorry about your bike man
I like your style mate;)

get some Watsen flush mounts I will fit them for you.
I like yours mate, do you have some part numbers and place of purchase??

#28 ·
its too bad you are not mechanically inclined...

It could have been a job for you over the winter as you were about to store it anyhow.

By the sound of it the dealer is already trying to squeeze you for repairs not needed. If you do need new indictors - by sme cool flush mounts and plug them in yourself. (all you need to do is undo a nut or 2 and plug in a couple of wires).

How much of the cost is service vs. parts? If you are getting OEM fairings that is probably the biggest cost. You could serach ebay or get some aftermarkets that would be a lot less and work just as well....

If hope you find the little buggers who stole your bike. too bad the cops don't care about incidents like this.

Minors have an advantage when it comes to crime in most places - which is not right IMO.

#29 ·
buy a gun and a hunting knife and a very sensitive 2 way pager alarm and next time shoot the lil bastards in the knees, drag them back to your house, hang them from your garage by their feet, gut the pricks and mail their innards to the parents and post a video on youtube to deter all future would be bike thieves.... people have no ****ing respect... sorry about your bike man

#32 ·
Just a little up date and some closure on this matter...

I feel it is now safe to report on the outcome as all parties agree that this will go no further and the police who took no action and my only regret was that i contacted them in the very first place, are not looking for anyone. I will still choose my words carefully..

A list of 5 names were put forward as local active bike thieves and steps were taken to speak to each of them. 2 were spoken to and it was found that they could not offer any information and were not willing to risk stealing bikes in the future as in their words, "its just not worth it"..

Person number 3 made it very clear that he was in a position to offer stolen motorcycles producing pictures of bikes that he had stashed in various places. When told that these bikes weren't big enough or powerful enough he went on to say that it was a shame because just a few day's earlier he had stolen a brand new R1 in grey. He confirmed that he was unable to start the bike and stashed it to return later (exactly where i found mine). However on his return it had gone, the location from which he stole it was exactly where i lived and the person asking him the questions didn't know where i lived.

The person in question has only been out of jail on licence for a few weeks and at the time a warrant was out for his return to jail for breaking his licence conditions. I can now tell you that he is safely back behind bars but not in full health. His right arm has been SNAPPED in 2 places, every finger on his left hand had been crushed beyond recognition and his right leg was SNAPPED. This was as well as broken nose, missing 3 teeth and fractured cheek and jaw bones. None of this had anything to do with me:)

I can also say that he was caught by the police because the hospital auth contacted them, they showed up and realised who he was....

I now feel a little bit better and hope this sends a message to all bike thieves in my area.....

Thank you for are the words and support ive received here...

#33 ·
Wow the one time someone gets whats coming to them for stealing bikes. Sometimes it is just like the movies

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.