Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

clawhamm3r's Trackfighter R1 Build

14K views 90 replies 33 participants last post by  CLAWHAMM3R 
#1 · (Edited)
Been meaning to share this with you guys for a while, but keep being lazy. I wanted to build a new bike following my R6 build, and wanted to create something along the lines of a fighter. So I sold the R6 and started looking for a 3rd gen R6. My vision was half sportbike and half fighter, half something else, I don't know. I just had an image in my mind.

Then I came across an 08 R1 with 6800 miles in May '12. For $5800 I couldn't say no.

So fast forward to last October ('13) to get your attention:

I call it my trackfighter because it sees the track more than the street.

Here is the picture album from Facebook, I will update the thread going forward but this is a nice recap that's easy to click through:
https://www.facebook.com/clawhamm3r/media_set?set=a.10102748756127501.3717558.2064128&type=3

Big thanks to everyone who bought parts from me and sold me stuff. Here's where your parts went! Also, big thanks to Adam @ Moto Wheels for a sweet deal on the headlight, mirrors, and bar end signals!

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks guys. I almost went without a coolant reservoir but like the convenience of having one and not having to check my radiator every time I want to ride.

Also, I considered dirt bike bars in the beginning but I don't really care for the look of them...I don't know, I'm sure it's a much more comfortable ride though.

Here's the picture story via a Facebook album, much shorter than reading through the actual build:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10102748756127501.3717558.2064128&type=3

#10 ·
Yeah so that brings me to the next biotch, maybe someone has a sweet suggestion for me.

I'm currently riding around without a steering damper; I had to cut the fairing stay mounts off the frame in order to mount the headlight. I want to go top mount (Scott's, GPR, etc.) but then my cluster is in the way. Something like Ohlins or HyperPro might work if they sit low enough and closer towards the tank, but all of those manufacturers only have mounts for the stock location.

I've seen other bikes where the damper is mounted diagonally under a clip on, but know nothing about that.

I can move the cluster forward, but it'd have to be so far forward to clear the ignition it would be out over the headlight and look ridiculous. I could maybe move it back over the air box cover, but then I think it'll be really hard to see; I have to move my head down to look at it where it is now so moving it farther back would be even worse.

I need a dongle that plugs into the cluster plug that wirelessly transmits my cluster info to my helmet visor. Does this technology exist yet? If not I'm thinking a custom mount for an Ohlins damper is what I need.

#15 ·
xtremewlr, I think I have pics of your bike on my phone when I was searching for examples a few months ago! Seriously, it was the poster bike for twin dominator lights. My headlight mounts too close to the forks for a setup like yours to work though, my cluster will be in front of the light.

#21 ·
If I would have been able to keep the bike longer, I would have worked on getting the headlights lower on the forks. Just needed to figure out a good mount for the gauge.

It's too bad you can't space the headlight out some to allow for more mounting options on the gauges. Maybe look into an aftermarket gauge setup like the Vapour. Much smaller than the stock R1 gauges and might allow you to move them over the headlight.

#24 ·
love it, nice work :thumbup

#32 ·
Here's a pic of a friend of mines bike!

Attachments

#34 ·
Woo. After much wait: Q2, fresh powdercoat, and a $4 ebay rim stripe that is pretty close. There's a piece of tape on the cowl in all three pics, it's really only noticeable when the flash brings the sparkle sparkle in the paint to life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.