Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

KWS Engine Build Reliability

6K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Slvr04r1 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been discussed before:

I have a 2008 R1 with approximately 10k on the clock and am looking to rebuild the engine. I was thinking of doing the oversized pistons, connecting rods, cams, KWS head and flashtune. There's a local shop that wants to build the bike by sending the head to KWS for the port job and then sending the block to millenium to bore the block. I was even thinking about building the engine myself and sending the block to millenium for the bore and the head to KWS to be CNC'd. My brother has a automotive performance shop and builds high horsepower cars, so I would have his knowledge and tooling to help with the build.

Has anyone have any experience with the KWS engine builds?

Would I see a bigger difference in reliability if KWS built the bike vs. the local shop vs. building the engine myself?

How many miles should I expect to get out of the rebuilt engine?

Are there many specialty tools that I would need to build the bike?

#2 ·
We know several guys that Kevin and the KWS crew have built engines for. Even going way back to the early to mid 90's and a big ole 1050 kit in a CBR900. Most are WERA / CCS guys and have raced their bikes ...and some are street bikes now, still going strong. Not sure of mileage, but nothing but good words concerning KWS here.. :thumbup

#3 ·
Good to hear. Thanks for the input.

#5 ·
Do you guys think i would run into overheating issues if I bored the block? Would I need to upgrade the radiator?

#15 ·
U ever figure out the cooling issue? Forgot to ask and how was Daytona?

#7 ·
Thanks for the response, gearhead. Would you have a manufacturer recommendation?

#8 ·
the stage one for the bmw is nice and tempting

#9 ·
Out of curiosity, what's the compelling reason to rebuild? Specific engine problem, or just want to?

#10 · (Edited)
Rather than buy a bmw, i'd rather rebuild my engine.

#14 ·
If you want power to "keep up" with the new bikes I wouldn't recommend rebuilding it. I've done it and you'll pay a good 5-7k for a great engine build which half the cost of a new bike. While it may get you close to the new bikes, the next one out will surely beat your bike even with the build and 2-3 years later you'll be in the same boat now. Best to actually upgrade if you want the bike with the most power. Just my .02, but like what you have or if you're the type who needs to the latest then get it instead of trying to redo what you have to get there as it's more costly in the long haul.

#16 ·
i'm wondering what the main use for the bike is?

street
strip
track

#17 ·
Street and maybe a track day or two, but mostly street.

#18 ·
Now believe me when i say im all for engine builds... hehe... but imma have to agree with corey on this one... get u a BMW, put a Brock's pipe on it and call it a day... it would be a different story if u was gonna spend alot more time at the track (or actually have some real fun at a drag strip), but since ur gonna be on the street... any '08 1000 has plenty of power for riding on the street... if u wanna be quicker then do a gearing change

But if ur dead set on doing it... i say let KWS do their thing with it... and not one person do this and another do that and another do something else... to many hands on it

#19 ·
The thing is, i would have to drop $10k more to get a bmw rather that just spend $6k and run with the bmws.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#20 ·
I douvbt you will run with the bmws is thing thing. The electronics, chassis, etc you still won't have. You'll probably be close and MAYBE be with them, but they will still probably beat you unless you do traction control, quickshifter, etc. You're chasing something and about to pay much more and probably not even get there, just close. Also remember with the bmw you'll have a warranty and going this route you'll lose reliability and have no warranty. there is a chance in a year or two you'll need to rebuild it again.

#21 ·
Corey, that's depressing. :-(

I guess it's time to start saving up for a BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#24 ·
Trust me, I'm all for builds. I did a full build on a block and kept up with the new bikes...For 6 months till the next new bike came out and i got blown away in brkaing, power, handling, etc. What sucks was looking at the bill I could have had the new bike. It's good our sport is still growing quickly, but it's kind of like computers. After 3-4 years why upgrade? It's time for a replacement if you want the latest/greatest. Just a fact of life with fast moving industries, sports, hobbies, etc...

#26 ·
The bmw needs better brakes and steering angles

#28 ·
Just let KWS do the head and tune, then put on some better brake pads and have at it for 2500$ or so. I am very brand loyal I will not jump on what is the next best thing. I will make mine better until Yamaha has the next thing on top. But that is just me. And for track use what is wrong with the new R1s? For a head up drag race yes the new R1 will lose. Plus I have seen 20hp increase alone with head work and a good full exhaust from KWS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.