Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Feedback needed on '12 vs '08 R1.

11K views 147 replies 35 participants last post by  boilovepho 
#1 ·
I stopped into the dealer the other day just help me ease the addiction. Just had to see them in person. I could've walked out with a fresh bike, but didn't. It's winter, and I'm patient. Enough, small talk.

I began talking with the sales woman as she's aware of my situation, and I can get my bike anytime. I informed her of the mint condition '08 that I'm looking at, and she began telling me how the cross plane is so much better in every regard. Sales ploy? Possibly.

On black and white, the data suggest that the '08 has more power, more torque, and they are about equal in weight. With this information, can someone please enlighten me about these two. If a weekend veteran rider was to take both bikes on the track, an '12 R1 and an '08, which one would surface as the winner (clearly opinions will vary)?

#3 ·
Greatly appreciate the feedback, but I think you missed the last sentence.

#8 ·
Looks is another thing to consider. They look nothing alike.

1) Flash the 12 and remove the stock restrictions and then compare.

2) the xplane has more "useable" power...better low/mid range than the '08

Which one will surface as the winner will depend on who is sitting on each bike :lol
Very true, the 09+ will have more adaptability in the long run as the bike is still current in model for most options. The 08 will be faster in stock form than any 09+ on any track I can think of. It has the best stock suspension of any liter bike minus SE's. 12 has TC, so that's an advantage.

it is a litre sportbike....comfort isn't what either are made for :lol
Yep, they are different, not better either way.

#9 ·
The '08 have more power but the '12 handeling, suspension brakes r a lot better. I found myself with much more speed in corners on the '12 then '08 track or street. Some people complain about the throttle but I love it.different from night to day for me. All my friends that had a '08 love the '12 & 11 !! If you look at stock power with out adding mods then keep Ur '08 don't get me wrong nothing wrong with the '08. But I have much more fun on the '09+ Oh!! I'm not big on traction control but I like this one on the '12 !!!

from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
I own an 09 with flash, 3/4 exhaust, filter and it is a blast to ride. I am now so used to it that when I jumped on my mates 07 (identical to 08s I think) it felt like a toy.

I think the 09 is slightly heavier, so the 07 felt like my old r6. And in my opinion felt like a slug, power was really high in the rev range and I didn't like it one bit compared to mine. The 07 just had Yoshi slip ons.

Overall I prefer the 09+, but if it had the weight of the 07 would be perfect.

When my mate rode mine, he said my bike is scary to ride compared to the 07. Violent power delivery.
That's my experience.

#13 ·
Crossplane engine is silky smooth above 4.5k

Flash it and fwah... beastly

Cornering stability is brilliant

Can get on the gas earlier (faster laps will result)

TC is outstandingly smooth

FYI. Have a video of S1K chasing me and I pulled away on straight / kept the gap.
Flashed ECU, decat, Leo Vince slipons, K&N filter, PC V + AT.

Top Speed I hit was same / slightly more than S1K friends on back straight at track. Similar lap time riders.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#18 ·
I have the 07, never ridden the 09+. But I can tell you this from reviews and real life tests done by MCN and Sportrider:

1) The 07 is slightly lighter, due mainly to environmentally friendly additions made to later bikes.
2) If you flash the ECU on the 09+, it has the same top end rush as the 07. I have seen dyno sheets of 07 and 09+ models and increases in HP after a flash on the 07 is not nearly as much as on the 09+
3) The 07 has the better stock suspension bits
4) Aftermarket pipes (for me anyway) on the 07 do somehow not compliment the lines of the bike, but on the 09+ I feel that the aftermarket suppliers really made more effort in this regard

In conclusion - buy the bike that you prefer in terms of looks:lol

#19 ·
This is very good to hear. Basically, I can get an '08, and stock for stock can battle it out with a '12. That's what I'm looking for. Although the '12s are growing on me, I still think the '08 is the best bike created IMO. The '12s are still new and the '13s are the same, so this gives me time to upgrade later if need be.

#22 ·
Ooh, in that case get the 08. My 07 also had very low mileage, that was fixed very quickly :)

Only problems on the 07-08 is the ECU - some have problems starting and keeping idle when hot. This can be fixed with a throttle body sync. Then there is the 2nd gear 5,500RPM issue - when you throttle in that area nothing happens. A replacement or flashed ECU will fix that.

Other than that, very pleased overall...

#27 ·
This only affected 07 bikes to my knowledge. When the dealer replaced my ECU with an 08 model the 2nd gear 5500 stutter went away.

Let me chime in a little since I have ridden both street and track.

Stock advantages:
-07/08 does have a better suspension. If you get an 07/08 lower the bike on the forks 5mm. It makes the bike tip in and feel much more stable through turns.
-Brakes feel the same to me
-07/08 has a bigger top end
-09 has much better mid range. Makes exiting corners MUCH easier. On my 07 I have to hit a downshift to get into the 10k rpm usable power range. (07/08 can be fixed with a -1,+2 sprocket).
-09 seat position feels more comfortable(personal opinion from a 6'2" 200lb guy)
-09+ A,B,C mode allows you to adjust the bike to your riding style.
-12 will have TC, which can be a good or bad thing. While I am not good enough, I have read reviews of TC being too much. Some guys like to slide the back end around.

Thats about all I can think of currently. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: StraightSuccess
#28 ·
What about the 2007 suspension is better? I find it odd that Yamaha engineers would take a step backwards. Just lower quality cartridges, or? The forks seem pretty good and the shock seems really good for a stocker. TTX and springs for the forks going in this week for me. :)

#30 ·
I'm definitely looking forward to meeting some of you at Lightning and Thunderbolt next year.

#37 · (Edited)
Maybe, but I own one and this has been working for me so far. Additionally Ohlins USA, conveniently located in my town says the same thing. Lastly, so does Charles Graves, who I've been asking about suspension geometry. Ohlins has fork cap extensions to go with the cartridge kits in our forks to allow for enough ride height up front. The rear they do at stock length+4mm and whatever link settings are being used. Oh and they aren't aftermarket forks, there are series restrictions. Tubes are stock, they run the same stuff we can buy.

#40 ·
All of what you said is true. Shimming the rear and the Ohlins caps that raise the front 4-5mm helps the bike out a lot, but the OP was asking about stock 07/08 model vs 09+. I think we all agree that any bike setup with a full Ohlins (pick your brand) will be far superior to any stock suspension bike.

#41 · (Edited)
I'm not talking components only, I'm referencing geometry. My suspension is 100% stock right now, I simply shimmed the rear and the front is at maximum height. Components are one thing, geometry another. I just referenced those parts and people because they are clearly experts on the matter and it elaborates upon the point I was making. You don't want to drop the front on a crossplane. There's not a ton of clearance as it is.

#87 ·
Its also dependent on what tyres you run, ive had mine dropped mine 5mm and it works fine with the pirellis and stock forks im using at the moment, if i change to ohlins or showa in the future maybe the setup will be different, if i swap tyres it may be different
As long as your happy, confident and comfortable on the bike thats all that matters

#42 ·
when my bike was stock i droped my front end 4mm and i thought it helped with turn in and i also found it helped the front end stay on line a little when getting on the gas through a turn but mostly i was having a problem with the front comming up to high ( the track here in edmonton is mostly low speed cornors ) and lowering 4mm made a world of difference

if ya cant dodge it, ram it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.