Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Feedback needed on '12 vs '08 R1.

11K views 147 replies 35 participants last post by  boilovepho 
#1 ·
I stopped into the dealer the other day just help me ease the addiction. Just had to see them in person. I could've walked out with a fresh bike, but didn't. It's winter, and I'm patient. Enough, small talk.

I began talking with the sales woman as she's aware of my situation, and I can get my bike anytime. I informed her of the mint condition '08 that I'm looking at, and she began telling me how the cross plane is so much better in every regard. Sales ploy? Possibly.

On black and white, the data suggest that the '08 has more power, more torque, and they are about equal in weight. With this information, can someone please enlighten me about these two. If a weekend veteran rider was to take both bikes on the track, an '12 R1 and an '08, which one would surface as the winner (clearly opinions will vary)?

#119 ·
For me, the 08 looks dated in design compared to the 09+

I rode the 09 with akra slip ons on the track and besides being a bit soft, it was a lot of fun to ride. The power delivery / sound was awesome. It reminded me of my bike (1098).

Disclaimer: I don't own any generation of R1.

#123 ·
Purchased an '06 this year... Modded it... Loved it.

Rode a friend's '10 this year... Didn't like it.

Purchased a '12 this year... Modded it... Never looked back.

I'm just as fast on either bike, but my riding style fancies the crossplane... Pick your poison :sing:

#125 ·
Reviving this thread from the dead.

As much as I wanted a R1, I just didn't have the cake to swing it comfortably at this time. Oh well, that leaves a lot of open territory for the future; maybe a year and a half or two.

I ended up getting this:

It's a 2012 leftover Blue/Black R6. It's a start.

#128 ·
Still loving my R6. I put 6000 miles on it in 6 months.

I want to know how much different the pull is from the R6 to the R1.

#129 ·
An R6 has no pull, compared to an R1. For street use its no contest. The R6 has 45 ft.lbs. of torque max, the R1 makes that at 3500 rpm or so.

#131 ·
Sweet bike!

Some of the posts on the first page are hilarious. Were people really comparing a flashed / modded 09+ bike to keep up with a 07-08?

• Haha
Reactions: StraightSuccess
#132 ·
Depending on the mods yes. The 09+ are heavily restricted so flashing them and taking the gigantor exhaust off allows access to its potential. Whereas the potential left on the table for the 07-08 with flash/exhaust is much less. Now if you're talking stacks and what not that's not fair.

I wish the magazines would test with an exhaust and a flash or some very basic mods that 90% of owners do. Because an 09+ stock vs a stock 07-08 or any other manufacturer doesn't show well. But a modded 09+ vs a modded 07-08 or any other modded manufacturer is a much closer comparison.

#138 ·
Some eye candy (maybe not for R1 owners, but eye candy never the less)!

#139 ·
It's a damn shame!

This damn forum has got me going to look at a clean '08 this week! SMDH! Knowing me, I'd probably buy it too. :dunno

#140 ·
#142 ·
That's the only reason I bought an 09. Loved my 08 but once I heard the crossplane it had me.

Believe me straightsucess, the only reason you were able to blow by the 1k's on the street is because they didn't want to waste their time, had no idea how to ride or had more brains than to street race. On the street where you barely corner a 600 doesn't stand much of a chance. Wait till you get on one and you'll see what I mean.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#143 ·
I'm so indecisive; it's ridiculous. I love my R6, but there's no way I can afford two bikes right now. I keep finding mint condition '08 R1s, and man...

I have a feeling I'm going to bite.

#144 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.