Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Trooper shoots motorcyclist during pursuit

7K views 186 replies 40 participants last post by  SPanega SS 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Don't run from the police and you won't get shot, they are trying to fry DPS right now for shooting from a helicopter and killing some illegals earlier in the year. This is just more ammo for the hippies to neuter the police more :fact

Look here, same city, another pursuit and what do you know, cop killed and innocent bystander killed by the fleeing driver.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/24/us/houston-police-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

#7 ·
Either you're for the police state or you're for liberty. Pick a fvcking side. Running is NOT enough reason for police to shoot you. That's bullshit.

So when guns are banned are you going to hand over your guns because it's the law? When they kick in your door to confiscate your guns like they did in NOLA after Katrina are you going to be a good little sheep and lay face down on the floor and tell them where your weapons are because they have uniforms and badges? Or is taking your guns the one line they have to cross? Everything else they do is ok?

#5 ·
Shot at for a traffic violation? Hope he sues the crap out of the officer and state.

#12 ·
Sure isn't a reason to shoot.

#16 ·
I thought some states or counties had general rules in place at the precincts to not chase a motorcyclist under certain conditions (high speed, high traffic) since it would present a danger to the guy on the bike. Granted, this just means all youd have to do is go a certain speed and it's a get out of jail free card, but if cops had the ability to see plates better they'd be able to just mail a ticket and wouldnt that be the end of it?

#20 · (Edited)
this part cop is a punk for shooting an unarmed motorcyclist, bottom line....

for speeding, give me a break, he hopefully will be brought up on charges....

if the guy robbed a bank, yes, then he is probably armed....

and police should not be allowed to chase someone for a traffic violation alone, that puts the safety of the public in danger.....

unless the guy just committed a violent felony, let him go....

#21 ·
and police should not be allowed to chase someone for a traffic violation alone, that puts the safety of the public in danger.....

unless the guy just committed a violent felony, let him go....
So, outside of robbery and murder it's free rein? Folks can do whatever the hell they want without a care for the law?

It's not the Cops placing the public in danger. It's the idiots that decide to run from the Cops that are placing the public in danger.

#27 ·
You can't draw a line here. Police shouldn't be shooting anyone from running unless they commited murder.

Cop is putting people in danger from crossfire more than the stupid squid running.. Pretty common sense call here...

#34 ·
I have no care or remorse for criminals. Yes, once this young man decided to run, he became a criminal. He knew this too. He just didn't do a very good job of getting away.

Did this young man need to be shot, no, but he did need to be stopped. Had he stopped in the first place, none of this would be taking place. So who is at fault here? Not the Cops, in my opinion.

It reads like many of you here feel that what you consider minor offenses should be completely shrugged off as non-issues. Not to mentioned that many that are willing to run usually have far more going that they don't want to be stopped for.

What are the Cops to do then?

#30 · (Edited)
So when is it acceptable then? You said you can't draw the line but if he tried to run him over it would be acceptable? The other big dps case right now is over shooting out of a helicopter and killing illegals in the bed of a truck. Truck was in a high speed chase and was speeding towards a school zone, ok to try and disable the vehicle then :dunno

It seems retarded to me that people who blatantly commit felonies like this are justified because "it was just a minor traffic violation". That minor violation quickly turned into a felony. Everyone seemed to ignore my article about the people killed by fleeing suspects, again what do you tell their families

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#90 ·
The second the idiot decided to run and put everybody else's life in danger it became a felony. The police are justified in using deadly force to stop a fleeing felon. Who knows why this moron decided to run. For all the police knew he just committed a capital offense. What's a good reason to run? I know I sure wouldn't just because my license was expired.

I have no care or remorse for criminals. Yes, once this young man decided to run, he became a criminal. He knew this too. He just didn't do a very good job of getting away.

Did this young man need to be shot, no, but he did need to be stopped. Had he stopped in the first place, none of this would be taking place. So who is at fault here? Not the Cops, in my opinion.

It reads like many of you here feel that what you consider minor offenses should be completely shrugged off as non-issues. Not to mentioned that many that are willing to run usually have far more going that they don't want to be stopped for.

What are the Cops to do then?
:stpd: Just because the the suspect wasn't armed with a gun doesn't mean he was unarmed. He had a 500 lb weapon going 100+mph. If the Dept policy allows officers to shoot a vehicles to disable/stop them then maybe it would have been a good idea to stop.

LOL.....truth be told of the 100 or so motorcycles I have pulled over, not including stolen bikes, I have only ever given one a ticket. Guy was doing 80 in a school zone, K through 6 when school was letting out, riding a wheelie. He toted one. The rest is usually speeding. I will stop them and give them my card with my phone number. Tell them to take it to the track. With that I always offer my help with bike set-up and proper gear. Several have taking me up on it.
Scott, you're one in a million. If I ever get pulled over I hope it's by you or someone like you. If you're behind me at the track I'm not pulling over though. You'll just have to go around me like I'm sure you would. :lol

#33 ·
What we need to do here is not Monday morning quarterback. I have been in multiple pursuits and they are not fun by any stretch of what the average person thinks. This is no Rosco P. Coletrain saying " Im in hot pursuit" on the radio. Although it would make for a nice tension breaker I must admit.

We all see what we want to see. I have a dash camera and it has saved me from mutiple BS complaints.

Here's why I like dash cameras.....

http://www.msunderestimated.com/201...officers-ass-against-ignorant-citizens-video/

After you watch the video one might ask...why did they shoot 30 or so times? Well it was three officers shooting. I can promise you that they did not meet before the chase and say something like this..."Well Bob if we get into something later on in the shift and we have to fire...Ill fire three times, you fire 10 and Fred can fire 6". I dont know if you all know what "graying out" is or tunnel vision but I have exp. it at a shooting. Another officer fired killing an armed robbery suspect and I never heard his shots. The officer was 20 feet from me.

I am not trying to defend what the officer or officers did in the motorcycle chase... I was not there and do not have any info. but was posted in the news article.

Just my .02....please everyone have a safe and Merry Christmas.

#35 ·
If I'm ever speeding in your area I'm gonna put a sign on my back saying "Don't shoot Scott, it's me Tony". :crash

#41 ·
The issue here is criminals...

No reason to get worked up about it, they will never go away. I'm not gonna get into a worked up debate about it because everyone has an opinion. I agree with Scott, we don't know the details. I judged the situation too quickly, so I retract my statement. I'll wait for more news stories

#47 ·
Bottom line is if you are unarmed and an officer tells you to do something, your best bet is to comply. Nothing you do, that goes against the orders presented to you, will benefit you in the short or long run. Most times you end up getting tazed and in this instance, shot. Just not worth it in my opinion.

#54 ·
I know, and like I said earlier, I get people thinking that shooting the guy was excessive, but you play, you pay. I can guarantee the cop wouldn't have tried to end the chase by discharging his weapon if the chase hadn't happened in the first place :fact

#55 ·
I doubt you would ride without a license much less run from the cops if you got pulled over though. I know there are cops out there that do bad things but people that fvck around, then get their asses hammered have no room to talk IMO. There is a right way and a wrong way of doing things, running from the cops in a vehicle for whatever reason isn't the right way :fact If they cop shot him and he was on foot, then I could see the cop being completely out of line.

#62 ·
Typically no, but with every situation being different and us not being there, we will never know :thumbup. I typically side with the people who are not blatantly breaking the law until I see otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.