Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Build My Own???

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  pYaAsMsAiHoAn 
#1 ·
Not sure if im on the right section but owell...

So im looking to buy an R1 obviously and have wanted to buy a project so I can build it up my way. Put the pieces I want on it and so forth...

Do you guys think buying the frame and subframe (clean and straight) and building up from there will be a huge hassel? not tooooo hard? (i have plenty of tools and experience with cars) save money? gimme the low down on what ill be getting into if I go this route..

What I was planning...

Get a salvage bike or totaled
Not gonna touch the motor (only make sure it works and mount it up)
Put on aftermarket suspension, forks, lighting, power commander, intake and such...
bolts, plastics, fairings, brakes, and all could be swapped or easily replaced.

#2 ·
Dont think it wouild be that hard.

Basically did same thing bought 01 wreck came across a straight frame and basically rebuilt it bit by bit. Only difference was that I returned to stock plus I had a "good" identical R1 to copy for cable routing etc.

Was actually pretty impressed with how well thought out the components were to swap over (obviously designed for mass manufacture on assembly line).

Good luck. :)

#3 ·
Totally doable. Best bet? Find a decent runner, and then take it from there. That's exactly what I did, and then all I did for the motor was synch and jet the carbs, run velocity stacks, K&N, remove the EXUP, new plugs, fluids, etc. I rebuilts my own suspension freont and rear (with help from DanQ!), I upgraded to 04 wheels and brakes, and installed race fairings, controls, etc.....fun winter project, cheap to do, ended up with a killer track bike that I know inside and out.

I say go for it.

#4 ·
Totally doable. Best bet? Find a decent runner, and then take it from there. That's exactly what I did, and then all I did for the motor was synch and jet the carbs, run velocity stacks, K&N, remove the EXUP, new plugs, fluids, etc. I rebuilts my own suspension freont and rear (with help from DanQ!), I upgraded to 04 wheels and brakes, and installed race fairings, controls, etc.....fun winter project, cheap to do, ended up with a killer track bike that I know inside and out.

I say go for it.
So which would be cheaper, buying one from a wreckers or a cheap one in the papers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.