Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

04 R1 build up

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  BSR-1 
#1 ·
I have decided to rebuild/fix the R1. It has some problems over a month ago and I found doing a compression test that theres issues in the No. 2 cylinder. I have another bike to ride, and have the time fix the R1 now. Shes stripped down and at a buddys house waiting for us to crack into her.

Heres what I want to do with this thread. Since its probably going to be a few months until shes fixed, I want to start making a list and getting the parts while shes down. When the R-Won comes back out, I want her done and done right. This thread can serve as suggestions and a build thread that Ill post the progress(if anyone cares) I know that some things like exhaust have been discussed a million times but thats only a portion of what I would like to discuss in this thread.

I sold my 2 bro's slip-on's, I want to do a full exhaust this time anyway so it works out. I think I saw a Ti-Force on ebay for around 500, or maybe it was Leo Vince, not sure. Hopefully now its a little easier to get exhaust at a better price for the 04-06's.

I know its going to need a chain and sprockets, Im thinking about going up a little in the rear maybe 2 or 3. I love the insane top end the bike has but wouldnt mind a little more jump in the lower and mid range.

If/when the head comes off and pending whats wrong in there, some headwork may be done pending the price. Anyone else ever do any headwork, cams, porting? What was price? Where do you go?

I've already got BMC race filter, Graves V-stacks, PCIII. I will need to be getting it tuned, I havent heard much good things about local shops( I live in Baltimore, MD) so if I have to travel a little for a good tune, so be it.

Thanks, and let the suggestions begin.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you have a good plan man. I dont have many suggetions for ya but I would like to follow this.

As for sprocket size on my old R1 I went 1 down in front and 2 up in back and loved it. I will be doing the same thing to this R1 when the sprockets go bad.

As for when you get it tuned make sure you have it tuned right at a good shop. I rode a buddies R1 after he had it tuned and the guy tuned it for max power and it rode terrible. Could have just been a bad shop but I had my old R1 tuned and it only made 151hp but it rode awesome and had all the power right where I wanted it for the street.

Good luck with everything
Sean

#5 ·
Update:

The heads off, they cylinders out, pistons 2-3 are out. We know we need number to piston. Ill post pics when i get home. The head from what we can see is ok. The cylinder will need some work as there is scaring sort of. Tomorrow we will be taking to to the machine shop to check and see what it will cost.

Heres the plan so far and i need some help.

Can i get a thinner head gasket?
Would it be better to grind down the cylinder and double the head gasket?
Thinking if raising compression obviously, whats best way to do it?
Dont want to get 4 new cylinders and bore it out. I mean it wouldnt be bad, where can i find bigger pistons for R1 and what size is usually done? I just want to explore options and check prices. Next is cams, they are out, who does custom grinds? What and where can i find cams?

I understand theres somethings i may miss or not explain everything. Im new, my buddies doing most of the work, i help and do what he says.

#7 · (Edited)
Ill have to take a better pic of the cylinder tomorrow. But this is it all down. Actually pistons 2-4 are out, I made a typo earlier. Piston 1 is a PITA to get to the rod bolts so its most likely going to be pulled of the rod while the rod is still on the crank unless anyone else can tell us how to get it out. All the rod barrings seem to be in decent shape so it should be safe to assume that number 1 is as well. The only real problem we see is with number 2. Ill take some better pics of the piston itself later.

But heres the latest on the progress.

No suggestions for:
raising compression?
full exhaust?
adjustable cam gears?
power commander ignition commander?
tuners? (prefer mid atlantic portion of states)
anything else I should know about?

#8 ·
No need to pull the rods. I would however pull the motor out of the frame. It's WAY easier to work on while it's sitting on the workbench rather than laying on the floor.

Raising compression = mill the head
Full exhaust = you'll have to shop around and see what you can afford. I'd suggest Akrapovich, Graves, Sato...... stay away from the "lesser" brands if you can afford it.
adjustable cam gears = it already comes with them
Tuners = in your area, I don't know
anything else you should know = ya, a lot but so should I. there are VERY few people that really know what they're doing and most of them aren't talking.

Save some money on a gasket and just split the stock gasket. Make sure that you use the half that has the oil restrictor hole.

Can you get better pics of the damage? I can't see anything wrong in the pics that you already posted.

P.S. I'm not trying to come off like an ass, I'm just being honest.

any other questions?

#12 ·
I like the throttle body/stack porting idea.....it need to run all this past my buddy and see what we can acomplish. Like I said though, keeping this bike relieable is a high priority, thats the reason Im actually taking the time and effort to get it rebuilt.

#18 ·
I think just the freshening up of the motor should be enough internal work. As for other stuff, full exhaust, and tune will be decent gains. Id like to bump comp, and maybe i still will. Id like to port head and throttle bodies/stacks but i cant afford to do all that. Im still not sure whats going on inside the head yet or the cylinder for that matter. Im doing more research on the adjusting the cams. Ive recieved good info so far but i need to decide what im going to do as a whole to make sure i get everything to work together best.

Im thinking of termi full system.
DID xring chain vortex sprockets, going up 2 teeth in the rear.
I want to keep the top end but get a little more down low. As for bolt ons i think ive got everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.