Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Flexxx's '09 R1/1098 "Yamacati" Build

52K views 132 replies 55 participants last post by  MotoMillion 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I bought this 09 R1 that had been wrecked. The guy who originally owned it wrecked it after a few days of buying it, he didn't even have insurance on it. So I picked it up for $500 bucks from a wrecker service AND I get the title to the bike.

The Bad:
Frame and subframe are busted
The fairings are gone
Front fairing stay, gauges, headlights, controls are all gone
Front rim is bent
Radiator is collapsed
Left stator cover is busted
Few other minor things

The Good:
The engine only has three days of riding, so its near new.
Front forks are good
Rear rim/tire are good
Swingarm/shock are good
Few other minor things are good

Enjoy the build

Attachments

See less See more
#69 ·
whitehendrix now has the pieces for welding. He'll be gone to Kentucky starting April 1st for 5 weeks, but as soon as he gets back, he'll hop on the welding. More details about all this are in whitehendrix's introduction post in the thread.

#71 ·
i simply can't pass up $38/hr + ot for 5 weeks though! lol the machine shop has been absolutely DEAD so i haven't worked at all this past week, which sucks. i am going to start piecing things together tonight with the potential of some tacks being made. i have a feeling i will have to box the arm into the the hinge part with some plate to give it rigidity, but once i get things tacked up, i can tell for sure then where i can gusset and where i can enclose. thinkin internal gussets to kill torsional stresses and box THEM in so A its pretty and B its even stronger.

i got some shit planned. lol

#72 ·
I hear ya there, there's no way I would either. :lol As for the planned goodness that will be this bike, I can't wait to see it! :thumbup

#73 ·
well, figured i'd make a few sparks tonight and address some frame damage.

i "ran out of finger" as i call it ( couldn't stretch out enough from my anchor point) and had to stop 3 times to readjust my hand, which i HATE. i will go back over it and finish the back side. still needs some love, but this is a decent start. i kicked it and it stayed on there. lol

kind of a shitty pic angle as well

but, heres a start.

#75 ·
And so it finally begins.

mic'd the bored yesterday and did a case repair. taking a shit ton of pics. gonna knock the motor out first since i will be coming off of it anyway to get my datum along the frame. bores were within .00012 of each other with axial taper across all 4 cylinders. pistons look like they were just bought new. oil pump is perfect.. i think i give this motor a clean bill of health! gonna do water pump/piping seals since i'm in there. once this goes together in a couple weeks after parts get in, THEN the real fun begins.

#76 · (Edited)
ok. nitty gritty.

i've compiled a bunch of data so far on shit that simply should be measured on a tear down, but i will post that up in an organized manner when i have ALL the data, so if cody wants to print it off for records, it's easily done off the boards.

the last 2 days was motor inspection. so far, heres what i've found. also.. totally gonna change from my usual "calling card" blue to something better to look at on a dark background.

as you can see, the oil pump is in absolutely flawless shape, which is a good find. and i like how yamaha shoved a turbo inside the case..

on to the bearings.

slight scoring on #1 upper.

upper 2

upper 3

upper4

upper 5

lower 1/2

lower 3/4

lower 5

counterbalance shaft lower 1/2

cb shaft lower 3/4

cb shaft upper 1/2

cb shaft upper 3/4

thats it for now. i am gonna work on taking less blurry pics.. lol gotta spec the crank bearings and inspect the countershaft and gears later today.

as usual, pics will be pending.. lol i spent probably 2 hours just cleaning the cases, so this thing will be minty on reassembly. with the exception of #1 upper, i don't see any major flaws in the bearings. i kinda don't like the shiny spots on a few of em, but most likely its start-up wear when oil pressure is nil and theres no boundary layer or any significant film strength present.

its about 5am and my brain is turned off. so, i'm done for now.. lol

#77 ·
Hope everyone else is as excited(probably not AS excited, maybe close though) about seeing this progress as I am. Haha. :boobies:lhumper:

Keep the updates coming Jim, she's fully in your hands now. :crash

#79 · (Edited)
Codey (Flexxx) :flex: has been my best friend for years, and has always been my 'go to' guy when I had a question about anything bike related.. The 'Yamacati' as we have began to call it has come a very long way! I was with him when he picked it up and I must say (at the time) I thought he was a little crazy for picking up a bike like that no matter what kind of deal it was.. We talked all the way home about what his plans were for the bike and to this day they still have not changed much from what he originally told me he wanted to do. Over the years the build has hit its setbacks like most big projects do, but codey has never once given up on it. Codey and I had conversation after conversation about the potential problems he was going to run into with welding the aluminum.. and after waiting month after month for a local welder to come out and even look at everything.. I got a phone call asking me if I was ready to ride out to good ole wilmington to visit a guy who does awesome work with a welder. So we loaded it all up and headed east not knowing what all to expect.. We met whitehendrix and he was really excited to participate in such a off-the-wall and unique project. Whitehendrix's excitement re-lit a fire in the entire build, which IMO is what Codey needed to get over the biggest hurdle in the entire project.

To watch something go from totally torn apart, to something so unique and never seen before is so awesome!

:scoots:

Keep the updates coming!

:rock

#81 ·
Couldn't have said it better myself. Bout time you got yourself up on the forum, now we just need to get you back up on 2 wheels. Soon man, soon.

Hey Codey what's been up mang???:hellobye
Stephen, what's up brotha??? As you can see, I'm FINALLY making steps towards getting ol girl together. Haha. Time has been my biggest enemy. Work has kept me slammeddd.

#82 ·
i want MOAR !!!

#83 ·
New rod bolts and head gasket should be going in this week and the engine will be complete. Then moving onto the swingarm. :yesnod

#84 ·
#85 ·
the pics are coming! everything is mic'd and base assembled. i am hoping to button the motor up this weekend but i also run my own welding biz and got a bunch of calls for random shit to make sparks on.. by homey Donald that posted a page or so back who's shop the frame and swingarm are at lost his dad the other day, so his shop is closed and for good reason so i am gonna respect the bad times and let work settle there.. i have a boat and 2 other bikes there i'm working on, but that won't impede on the actual build, as i think i will scoop it up soon and take it to the machine shop to start making small custom parts/bushings/othershit and jig the arm up. also, i got picked up at a local race car shop i worked for back in the day and i'm there pretty much 9-7 or thereabouts and that has cut into my productivity, but rest assured i'll deliver! or cody will break my legs.

the bolt kit is ****ing SEXY.. i won't lie. lol i can't wait to see how it looks with the woodcraft covers and all the other lil goodies.

ALSO, if you guys will please keep your eyes open for a spare frame, we would greatly appreciate it. if theres a title issue, i can get around that with some friends in high places, so theres no worries there. but i'd like to find a VGC if not perfect frame to build the final bike on.

as stated, pics are coming. i went out and bought an SD card JUST for this build. next week or so i'll get the motor wrapped up and posted and i will be on phase II of this bitch shortly :D

#87 · (Edited)
sup bitches!! yo son, i have some shit news.. that rim.. only took a quick peek at it when it showed up. this is public verification to be used as such on received merchandise shipped directly to me, so i want that "on record"..

this is the front rim you ordered with "a scratch" on it.

that aint no gah-damn scratch, homey. that rim is cracked through the bead wall 100% laterally and 100% radially to the base of the radius. NOT safe for street let alone track function. i personally would not pass that as a track tech.

on to better news..

rods as found and assembled-

specs as indicated by yamaha are are .0013-.0023. my readings are a consistent .00155"

mag rotor as found

cleaned and inspected prior to reinstallation.

pistons as installed after cleaning.

crank oil gap is described as .0002-.0015. as found and left, they are .0015... a bit towards the upper tolerance, but acceptable.

bore is described as 3.0709-3.0713. as measured and used, they are 3.0712 with a max radial deviance of .00003.

shop boxarr says fuq your ring gaps, killa. and i agreed. this motor has about 3000 miles on it as i'm told, so being theres till a light crosshatch on the bores, i did not inspect ring gaps or piston-to-wall clearance as i don't see it as necessary.

new rod bolts as indicated by factory law. pretorque is 14 ft-lbs and final is 145-155°. i hit 150 as a nice middle ground.
also for noob/aspiring builders.. a VERY fuggin important facet some people neglect to tell you- do NOT touch rod bolts with bare hands. similar to a halogen bulb killing itself because of the oils on your skin creating hot spots on the glass, oils that don't belong on rod bolts will slowly deteriorate the surface structure of the metal on a molecular level. it is not instant, nor is it a penetration of .020"/month or anything extreme, but its still good practice. also good practice is using a paint marker to denote which torque process has been applied to the fasteners. i usually just go red/yellow/green for my pretorque and finals. if you look closely at some of these you'll see paint marks on the bolts. that is not detrimental to them.. but the shit your raggedy ass nasty fingers leave behind is.. so keep them in your nose or bum or gloves or use the plastic the bolts came in.. but don't go molestering perfectly sexy virgin bolts with your dick-beaters. <3

onward.

any TTA shit you do, i highly suggest jerking your snap-on guy off for one of these little guys. if you tell me you torque to angle without one, i will probably laugh at you and wait for your build to blow up. and these bitches are only like..
$30 or something like that. HIGHLY worth it if you plan on doing multiple TTA fasteners ( all the large case bolts are, for example. borrow one if ya have to. you have a 10° tolerance on most bolts. why chance ruining one? if you know anything about plastic and elastic regions and axial strain, you will use one of these ;)

factory turbo and bomba de aceite installed

top end mapping..

aaand *drum roll*

purtyness.
yes the cam tensioner and some other stuff are devoid.. those await the final repair to the head where it took a hit. i shall address that this week and get on the big step soon afterwards.

some sick nasty brakes have been ordered. i have some safety wire drilling to do as well. lots of little things before the next big item on the list, but its coming along well.

thats all for now, lovers. stay tuned!

#90 ·
I hope everyone is as impressed with Jim as I am with every update.

As for that rim, I WILL be sure to have some words with the asshat that sold it to me. Thanks for inspecting that for me since it hasn't passed my eyes yet. :machinegu:vanish:boom

Annnnnnd as for the build... Jim you are a damn wizard. I don't know of ANYONE else that would invest the time, and even more-so the knowledge you have in this build. I am damn honored to have you as the builder for my motor/swingarm. :boobies:boobies:boobies

#95 ·
head is was out as of friday moanin'.. measured just for fun the unlikely and off chance of warpage due to localized heat. it was absolutely perfect. now all thats left is to get a bigass STI tap and heli-coil or time-sert and re-machine the mating surface and make love to a mermaid.

soon.

#96 ·
I wouldnt have this thread discovered if tripleX Flex didnt chime in on one of my posts.

This thread is a gem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.