Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Who's running the Bazzaz Z-AFM on their crossplane?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  AKDMA 
#1 ·
I'm about to get one and have no prior experience using auto tuners. Any suggestions regarding getting the most out of it? What AFR did you guys use? Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 ·
i have one on my 08 gsxr1000... i think most set it to 13.1

hell i forget... i'm drinking right now

#4 ·
I run 13.0 target. I got the best tune after doing a bunch of short 20-30min rides threw 1-4 gears threw the rpm range. then once my in-town riding was done i did the same on the highways for 3rd-6th gear.

As you begin to average the tune readings together you will notice certain lags at specific rpms and throttle positions. you can manually adjust those boxes. just do it in small increments until you get the response you want.

Also weather plays a big role. i mostly ride after 9pm when the air is alot cooler, so i retune after the temps begin to change during the seasons. so do your tuning readings during your usual ride times to keep it as accurate as possible.

I am in no way a professional tuner this is just what has worked for me. GL

#7 ·
Gotta be careful with the Bazzazz. A few people here have had issues with the units not clipping properly. If the bike starts running funny or surging, remap it back to the old map or you might foul your plugs. A couple people here had to buy new main units all together once they started getting funky and Bazzazz couldn't figure it out.

All in all the units are normally very solid. I normally go with 13.2 as a target AFR at the recommendation of my motor builder.

#12 ·
If it's not too hard, I'll probably yank the wideband sensor out once I get a nice tune. Until I go to the track. I'll probably make a few maps from 13.0 to 13.2 and if I ever get access to a dyno I'll be able to see which is best. Wish we had one around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.