Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Ohlins Suspension?

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MAG1C 
#1 · (Edited)
Just bought my first bike and I'm looking into suspension upgrades I'm wondering about Ohlins Suspension as far as the model types from the vendors I'm not seeing a clear which is for what scenario. I figure that the higher priced is for track day stuff. Just wondering if anyone has a full break down list of pros and cons, or a this set of forks is for this and this set of forks is for that. The bike already has an Ohlins damper and I think an Ohlins spring or a full Ohlins rear. Bought the bike off a good friend in Hawaii because he was moving back to mainland and he offered to just bring it with. So sight unseen but I know him he takes care of his toyz.
Thanks for any help in this area even if someone has a link to a page that does the breakdown of their products.

#2 ·
Well if you've already got an Ohlins shock then you already won half the battle. Fork inserts would be great if your trying to save some money. Buying the full shebang wouldn't be necessary. Its the same thing except without the bling as was put by another member on the forums. So I'm investing in fork insert and shock combo.

#5 ·
for the most part the ohlins carts tend to be slightly higher quality with more frequent upgrades than the full forks as most superstock/supersport championships only allow for the carts to be used. hence more development goes into them.

that said most suspension tuners will modify the stock stuff at some stage anyway to suit the individual racer/track etc.

i have the 25mm FGK's front and ttx rear in my race bike and i was very happy with the stock valving to begin with (with personal tweaks of course) though i found the compression damping to be lacking a bit. had it suspension revalved since to get rid of that. for most road riding the stock valving with the right springs should be more than fine though.

i havent had too much experience with the 30mm ohlins carts but from some of the feedback i am hearing i will be sticking with my 25's.. the 30's seem to be bit too sensitive. if they're not exactly right they're really wrong

the 07/08 r1's NEED a good rear shock though. the stock stuff is just terrible!! to the point of being dangerous imo since its so vague!

#4 ·
I want to do a full Brembo upgrade but mother of god the caliper kit is 800 less than the four calipers I got on my car and they are the size of two of my pistons. WTH Brembo. 800-1000 I could understand but I think the lowest price I saw was 2100, 1800 for the nickel plated. But back to the grind.

#6 ·
What all do you want to accomplish?

Are you just looking to optimize the bike and make it perform better during street rides, or are you just wanting to bling out the bike? Performance wise the bikes calipers are more than enough for top level AMA racers, so they are not "needed" at all for the street. Same with Ohlins forks. A good revalve and spring change would do wonders for 1/3 the price.

So please be specific in your eventual goals in these upgrades, it will help get more than just opinionated general answers.

#8 ·
I want a better quality ride for street but have the option to go a little more aggressive. Funny thing is I don't see a whole lot of options for suspension like my car I at least expected to see four or five different competitors but All I ever see on the vendors are Ohlins.

As for the brake caliper comment. I have Brembos on my car I love them. I would like to go up to the Big Brembo Kit But just can't justify spending 2500 per set vs 1500 for Stop Tech. But again on all the wbsites all I see are Brembos it's like there are no other options other than to go big.

#9 ·
There are several options out there. Ohlins and Brembo are just the most popular. Both also offer entry level upgrades. Brembo offer the M4 cast calipers which run about a grand retail, probably better prices depending on where you go. Ohlins offers an internal kit rather than full forks which are about half the price.

Going back to my point, neither of these parts are necessary for street or even track days. A good set of pads, stainless brake lines and a good bleed would be very aggressive for your needs, as well as a revolve and respring on you current forks. These options would set you back less than 1K for everything.

If you are going after the bling factor of having top of the line parts, then I do understand completely. Although I will tell you that having those parts comes at a hefty price. You have to pay to play. Complaining about it just says you haven't done your research.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.