Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2014 R1 a Triple?

26K views 150 replies 64 participants last post by  drjak 
#1 ·
#21 ·
I'd vote for a higher horse lighter bike over a triple. Yamaha making a triple that isnt comparable to the current "underpowered" inline is imminent. I can't see them making a motor with one less cylinder keep with the current liter bikes.

#22 ·
I thought the current inline was 'underpowered' in stock US trim in large part because it won't actually go WOT with the stock ECU settings?

If Ducati can make a 1200cc twin with ~170hp at the back wheel, I think Yamaha could put out a 1100cc Triple (the displacement they are trying to get approved for WSBK) with comparable power potential. My biggest concern with them chasing top end power is that the midrange and ridablilty would suffer.

#23 ·
American r1's with flashed Ecu's don't make near what the new big boys make. And after watching Ducati on the local Dyno's, I'm far from impressed with the 1199... Kinda like all the ducati's.. Besides looks, just not an impressive bike to me.

#27 · (Edited)
My apologies.
You're right!

I obviously have stepped out of my depth here. How dare I voice an opinion opposing yours, when you have a higher post count than me!

I didnt realise I needed to give my life up and become more active here with keyboard heros like yourself to have an opinion!:sissy:

Now to stop the sarcasm, you are right, each variation of the R1 has gotten heavier. They admit the crossplane is too heavy and also too wide. Thats why they are going the way of the triple. I welcome a lighter, more flickable sportier R1. A bike that is a true sports bike. Is more fun to ride and easy to live with and makes it possible to beat my own best time around my local track. If it has to be a triple to achieve that then so be it. After all, none of us here can use the full potential of the current model R1, S1000RR, etc, etc, anyway!

I dont buy the I4 or fail line that you are preaching though. In top echelon racing, where riders have the skill to wring every last ounce out of a bike, or in absolute horsepower bench racing debates (such as the dyno runs you mentioned) an inline 4 might be superior in terms of absolute top end HP, but for the average joe using it as a track day or road bike spending 99% of its life well below the redline, that means jack shit unless you happen to have the skills of a Lorenzo, Stoner or Rossi.

#29 ·
Don't be an idiot, my reference to your activity was just about you not knowing me and my opinion about the current bike, not you, so don't be a little bitch about it.

On to the bike

Thank god Yamaha builds bikes strictly for the track enthusiast and not the every day rider...

Wake up man. They have to sell this bike too. And all the street squids want more power to keep up with the trend. A triple won't do that. They won't push the numbers that the magazines will publish, and all the guys get hardons for that hit 180 on the highway. Sorry, this is the real world and people still wanna keep up with the jones's. considering most of the people who will buy it won't use the bike for what it's designed, like you say, they need to make a bike that will sell. Especially in this economy

I don't see Yamaha steering away from the current i4 Japanese trend. It's a huge risk in a bad economy

#37 ·
How so?
I didn't think the M1 had any relevance at all to this thread. You can't buy one, its not a triple and Yamaha makes nothing even remotely like it for general public, so why even bring it up. I dissmissed it with another absurd post. This somehow makes me ignorant?:dundun:

#38 ·
Not at all man, I thought that was brilliant! Anyway after ready most of your post and thinking through this. I would miss the crossplane i4 as I also do have one. Is Yamaha far behind the rest in its class? Yes, as of right now we are at a disadvantage. I do wish they'd lighten up the bike to the 02-03 weight while not sacrificing the HP. All in all if they go we have no choice but to buy if we want to keep their product in our garage.

#40 ·
Feel free to use the quote button as I dont quite see how you come to that conclusion. Must be my ignorance! Lol

Am I ignorant because I an opened minded enough to not use the dyno figures as the only judge of what makes a good sportsbike, or because I am opened to the fact that other configurations other than an I4 may be a success?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.