Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Does your clutch hand get sore?

6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  lastlapracer302 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

I've been practicing clutch wheelies recently. I've had to stop practicing after 20-30min because my left hand gets sore from trying to slip the clutch. Just wondering if this has happend to any of you. Haven't had much success yet but have had a few good ones. I'm convinced that it's all to do with the timing between clutch and throttle. Any suggestions for me ?

Cheers

#2 ·
You should do some hand exercises or go buy a dirtbike, you will think you in heaven getting back on the R1 after ;)
I will leave the wheelie kings to answer this, I know how to wheelie but I am not a teacher ;) dont want to teach you bad habits... im told its bad to flip off the police :p

#5 ·
try changing where the clutch lever is. You can adjust it so it sits up higher or lower so you are just extending you fingers versus lifting up your fingers which can stress the hand. That make sense? sounds kinda weird but it works for me.

#8 ·
try changing where the clutch lever is. You can adjust it so it sits up higher or lower so you are just extending you fingers versus lifting up your fingers which can stress the hand. That make sense? sounds kinda weird but it works for me.

+1000...........Makes a world of difference when you make sure your clutch is in the right place! While sitting on the bike you should not have to move your wrist in order to work the clutch, makes it less strainful (sp) on your hand and I get better feel.

If Your using nothing but power to wheelie you will be going crazy fast once the wheel gets far enough of the ground to find the blance point, easier and more controlable to use the clutch. IMHO, I still have the stock clutch and transmission in my 03' (now with 74,000 miles) and have never had a problem. And I was the biggest chickenshit when I was first learning wheelies!

Just remember, here in Florida a wheelie will get you a $1000 fine and if your like me, depending of the LEO's mood, your first 3rd. degree felony! Happy motoring, and RIDE SAFE!

#6 ·
i suggest that you never use the clutch for a wheelie, you have an r1. the power on these bikes are silly! in first gear you should be able to power it up, if your already cruising doing like 50-70 or so drop it in 2nd gear crack it and shift your weight back. it will come up nice and pretty. then shift into 3rd and ride it out. learn to harness the power, don't bust your trans/clutch up!!

#13 ·
Wow, don't ever give advise again... EVER... Obviously you cannot wheelie or you wouldnt be suggesting that.....

It just takes practice to learn the feeling of the clutch when wheelying. But it'll come up in all gears with the right finesse. Stock gearing I can pull 3rd up at 35-50 mph and 4th gear at 60 or so...

#7 ·
I am going to have to agree with moe-r1ce. I never use the clutch. First, second (sitting), and third (standing). Give the throttle a good twist and the bike comes right up. If you really do have the R1 there is no clutch involved, the bike has so much power. Now if you have the 6 then yeah you might need it.

#10 ·
your forearm will get tired

dont power wheelie.....its what people do until people actually learn to wheelie

the r1 as a heavy clutch since most of the newer literbikes uses a hydraulic clutch but the r1 doesnt

when you get better at wheelies youll actually pull less wheelies they will just be longer ....

when i started learning id practice for a few hours and pull a few hundred down this long straight but after i started getting better i rode them out longer

also put as little weight on the bars as possible it will keep you from wearing out your arms

also it gets easier because you will build up more muscle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.