Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Winter project

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  andyh 
#1 · (Edited)
Winter project - Update 15/04/07 with progress pics

Hi all

Well its turned very cold here in the UK so my 03 R1 is in the garage for some changes over the winter. I've got about 4 months to get her finished and that should be plenty. I've been scouring ebay for parts and have just about all I need now.

Here's the list of mods to be done.

04 onwards upper fairing grafted onto fibreglass race fairing
Make alloy bracket for upper fairing / clock mounts
Modify upper to take an 03 screen
Repair a spare dented fuel tank
Repair the fibreglass single seat unit and cut hole for rear light
Make some carbon swingarm covers which will make the arm look like its braced
Make a riders seat with a black suede cover like they have on race bikes
Repaint all the fibreglass fairings, upper and tank (all will be done myself in the garage)

The plan for the paintwork is matt black (going for the stealth look) with the Yamaha speedblock design (as pictured). My unique difference though is that I'm going to lay some carbon weave on the fairing and tail unit and it will show through as the blocks (hope everyone gets what I mean here)

I've just bought an AC TIG welder so I'll be attempting to fabricate a custom upper fairing bracket out of alloy for this bike too.

You can see in the picture where I've started repairing the missing 'ear' off the upper (bought cheap from ebay), I should be able to create a few 'how to's' out of this project.

Proposed design using my bad photoshop skills, although I now won't be putting as many blocks on the tailpiece

Progress so far (yes, I know the place is a mess :) )

See less See more
#12 ·
Quick update;

Nearly done, a few small bits to get sorted. The race fairings are very thin fibreglass and the front indicators aren't positioned very well at the moment (they hang down too much). The aluminium headlight/upper fairing mount I made needs reinforcing around the mirror mounts to stop them vibrating. I decided to make a custom seat covered with suede (same as the backrest) and it's being sewn up by my mum at the moment but should be finished this week. Also need to make a carbon hugger and get an exhaust sorted. Other than that all the paintwork needs rubbing with cutting compound and then a good polish to get all the blemishes out.

some pics;

Carbon weave detail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.