Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

YEC rotor on a 06 R1!!

7K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  markosaspiotis 
#1 ·
well i have just added a YEC rotor on my 06 R1 the last week and i'm proud of this...

before this i have read in the forum that the most off them who used this rotor had problems with tha battery charging!! i have to say that i was a bit confused about this because i didnt want to have this rotor and having problems with my electric power....some of them said that you have to have one headlight, one fan radiator for lower watts... some other said that whatever you do you will have problems an you have to charge your battery with a battery charger once or twice a week!!!

but i have this rotor for one week... i run two headlights , two fan radiators power commander, ignition module, the tail light normally the only thinks i dont have on the bike are the turn signals and the horn!!! and i have to say that i have no problems with my electric power... i have 13,8 volts on the battery at 5000 RPMs and everythink wirks perfect. by the way i have a shorai lithium battery (maybe this is the fact for the perfect working!!!

also the power of the bike have been increased, and the massive deference is the acceleration point that is unbelievable... :) also the bike is over revving like a beast from hell!!! i think that the YEC rotor is a very good mod for performance!!!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
:) thank you for your good words! i'll keep you update... i'm soory about the photo but this is the only one i took... :dunno and now the rotor is in the engine :fire

Hey,

Nice write up. Where can I get one of these?

Thanks
Louis
hmmm i dont know :lol i bought this rotor second handed from a local racer here in greece.... but i think you can check here http://motorcycletoystore.com where they have many YEC parts....

I was hoping to fit a YEC rotor to my 07 R1 and was worried about the charging rate to the battery. To the best of my knowledge (secondhand info) the standard rotor generates 3 phase electricity and by using a YEC rotor the electrical system changes to 2 phase.

I know absolutly nothing about 2 and 3 phase electricity, so I was put off the idea of fitting one of those rotors. I like having working turn signals and lights etc, but I didn't want to buy a rotor and have to lose everything.

I talked to a guy who was running a race rotor on a race BMW, he said that his torque fell off a little. Did you by any chance dyno your bike before and after?
i'm the same with you... i dont know anything about 2 and 3 phase electricity... the only i know is that i'm running this rotor on my bike with absolutely no problems!!! as i talk with my mechanic the shorai lithium battery is the best choice to work perfect this rotor and dont have any problems in the future!!! i have done a dyno on my bike before the rotor... i want to dyno it again now with the rotor to see the difference! but as i can see on the road
the bike have more power and accelerates much more better than before!!!

#4 ·
I was hoping to fit a YEC rotor to my 07 R1 and was worried about the charging rate to the battery. To the best of my knowledge (secondhand info) the standard rotor generates 3 phase electricity and by using a YEC rotor the electrical system changes to 2 phase.

I know absolutly nothing about 2 and 3 phase electricity, so I was put off the idea of fitting one of those rotors. I like having working turn signals and lights etc, but I didn't want to buy a rotor and have to lose everything.

I talked to a guy who was running a race rotor on a race BMW, he said that his torque fell off a little. Did you by any chance dyno your bike before and after?

#9 ·
Any chance you weighed both rotors ? Curious.

#10 ·
what does a rotor do difference to make more power?

#11 ·
The length of the magnetic housing is shorter than the standard one. The reason is for reduced interial mass and friction loss. The attached thumbnail shows the difference between YEC (on the left) and standard (on the right).
The reduced crank driven weight allows the engine to spin up faster

Attachments

#12 ·
I have a factory rotor that went bad (magnets came loose) and was thinking of eliminating as much weight as possible from it to run total loss,any idea how long it will run before depleting the battery R1 liam ?

#16 · (Edited)
i'm using this on the road and it works perfect... no problem with the charging of the battery... i have check it with a meter and it gives 13,8 volts at 5000 RPM!
also i have the translogic micro dash3 which has a volt meter and i can check the volts all the time... when i have low RPM with closed thottle at 1350 -1400 RPM it gives approx 12,8 volts and when you open the throttle it goes to approx 13,8 volts... and i have both of the headlights with XENON 35W, normal taillight, power commander, ignition module, both of the radiator fans and everything works perfect!!! so the YEC rotor can be used on the road!!!

P.S. it is necesery to have a high capacity battery because those batteries need the half time of the normal batteries to be fully charged, so this helps you to have your battery always charged....

#30 ·
Of course they do, about $3000 :lol

#25 · (Edited)
I have just bought one of these. The weight difference In them I can't see making much of a difference to the performance. There is also no real difference in frictional values I would say. I would think that where the gains are got from is By having a lower emf. As the engine spins up this rotor acts as a brake which increases the faster it gets.
After looking at a spare standard one I have Liam I think what that guy told you about 2 phase and 3 phase is wrong.Purely because the rotor is being changed not the windings.

Interseting that this works with a Lipo battery, Those batteries charge a lot faster than ordinary ones maybe thats why it works for street purposes.

#26 ·
thats right you must have a Lipo battery to avoid any problems with charging...
also i would like to ask you if you have any other performance parts on your bike like camshafts, spring valves etc. this rotor works better on a tuned engine!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.