Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Dealerships can be funny!

8K views 51 replies 35 participants last post by  drjak 
#1 ·
So I took a visit over to the local Harley dealership today. Believe it or not, I'm considering buying a new Street Glide. I will be trading the R1 in. My R1 is a 2010 with 5,300 miles on it. It needs new tire's, and that's it! They offered me $6500 for trade in.... I decided at that point, it was time for me to leave. I just didn't feel like playing the game today. I know enough about trades, that I don't expect retail, but I did expect an offer in the $8k-8,500 range.... When I traded my 07 Busa (with 16k miles), in for it back in July, the dealership gave me $6500 for it. Which is what I wanted, and thought was fair, for a trade in.
I know I will here some crap from some of you about buying a Harley, and particularly trading in the R1 to buy one, but I'm ready for something different, and a cruiser is what I want. I will be buying a 600 for those occasional days when I want to run out and hit some turns, but most of my riding from here on out will be some cruising. The wife can go with me, since she can muster up the courage to ride her 09 250R I bought her almost a year ago....
Of course the dealer also showed me sticker for the 2013 Street Glide.... I simply told them I would think about it and come back when I'm ready to commit to a deal. I told my sales rep that basically $8K for my R1 was what it was going to take to get me to make a serious consideration. I will also probably be looking at doing $19,500 out the door for the Street Glide. Not trying to play hardball, but I feel those are fair and reasonable numbers.

Let me know what you all think.... :1pok: please hold the flaming. I love the R1, but after 20 years on sportbike's, I'm ready for a change.... besides, I still have my SV650 track bike to get my jones fix a few times a month :sing:

See less See more
#39 ·
Haven't done the Harley yet, been a bit too busy at work. However, did pickup an 06 R6 on a great deal. Putting a new set of tires on the R1 and the R6. Just got them in the mail from Chapparrel.... The R1 will be going up for sale, probably here as well as consignment at the local Yamaha dealership. Won't to sell it within the next month. Wanting to buy the Harley as a birthday gift to myself.... Decided against the Street Glide, going with the Road Glide instead. Will also be selling my 01 SV650 trackbike mid season to mod the Harley. Next season, the R6 will be doing double duty on th street and track.

#41 ·
Yes, they are pricey! That is part of what has taken me so long to decide to buy one. I sell Audi's for a living, and truly understand purchasing high dollar vehicles. I do like the the fact that they hold value so well!

#45 ·
I also think if you want a change a supermoto would be the way to go! I love the idea of being able to offroad with one, ride it in the rainy seasons and not worry. I just got my R1, but as soon as I save up, I'm definitely getting something supermoto.

#46 ·
Where does everyone come up with their suggested retail value, and trade in value for bikes? I’m new to the motorcycle scene, but Kelly Blue Book and National Automotive Dealers Association are the two that come to mind. Kelly Blue Book has a trade in value of $6,490 and an excellent dealer resale price of $9,270 for your 2010 R1 and NADA doesn’t give a trade in price, only dealer suggested retail and there’s is $8,890 low retail and $11,695 average retail. Modifications generally don't ad any value to a vehicle for a dealer, maybe a private buyer.

As someone stated earlier, they are in the business of making money, and if they give you a break there, they will end up jacking up the price somewhere else to fill the gap. Sell it privately.

#47 ·
I go with what the market will pay and it usually falls within the trade in and retail values on kbb and nada. Look what's available in your market that is a similar product and price accordingly. If you're the only game in town then price a bit on the high side and see if you get any bites. If not, lower the asking price until you get some interest.

#49 ·
I think you are smart to sell the R1 private party to get what its worth, I also think it would be in your best interest to buy the Harley private party as well, as the dealrships have all kinds of stupid extra fees they tack on, you can buy yourself last years model and save big $$ over dealer hike-ups. I know all dealers try and hike up their prices, but Harley really rapes their customers... Also as others have said, try taking a look at a few metric cruisers as well, a lot less money and I believe alot of improvements, but thats all personal opinion, good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.