Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

R1 Tires

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  AKDMA 
#1 ·
OK.............for the FIRST time in 20 years of riding, I got screwed.....actually a screw in my rear tire. Sitting at Santa Monica, a buddy noticed a large screw in my tire. What do you recomend between the Michillin CT2's, and the Dunlap Q2's. I only have 1000 miles on my current CT2's, and need to replace the rear.

Let me know what you guys think...........mostly canyon riding....ACH of course.!!!:D

#2 ·
Q2's

#9 · (Edited)
I feel like they both have good aspects. The S20s, I could always feel the rear sliding and it was very predictable. I put a couple of videos on youtube because I was having so much fun spinning them and it felt totally controllable. Of course that means I wasn't putting my power down effectively.

The Q2s, I feel like they're definitely a faster tire, I did a track weekend on a set and they did really well for street tires and I think they last a good bit longer. The only bad thing I found is that they were less predictable, when the rear slipped, most times, I wasn't quite prepared and it would kick fairly hard. My friend also crashed his bike right in front of me on Q2s and said he didn't even know the front was gone until he hit. So basically, I didn't get the feedback I'd prefer from them. I'd still recommend them though, I was pushing too much the few times they pushed back. I ran 30/30.

I switched to Michelin Power One and Power Cup soft race tires recently (for track use primarily) and they are awesome. The bike actually feels faster because the power's being translated to the ground so well. The front tire also has an amazing "V" profile and it's helped turn in and cornering stability massively. Check em out if you don't mind spending a little extra and changing them more often.

#12 ·
Q2's or if you want a crazy tire get the 003's first set of tires I've ever had the front wear almost as fast as the rear and I paid $278 to my door. Motomummy : fact I run those over the q2's but I'm a lot more aggressive than most street riders since I have canyons in my backyard

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.