Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Another ticket thread

3K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Quietstorm1911 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, so today i was going home from my ex's house, she lives 3 hoursfrom me. On the way, I got caught doing 25 Km/h's over the speed limit. On this road, people drive 20 over all the time and nobody gets pulled over. I had 2 seconds of inatention and got caught. Also, this is going slightly downhill.

Ive had my license since 16(21 now) and i have a clean driving record. Is there any way i could get out of this?

Maybe some people here are more used to this process?

I know i shouldnt have been going fast and all, but right now i am just trying to save those 3 points on my license :cryin

#8 ·
:iamwithst :hammer:

#7 ·
Look into pleading "nolo contendere" (no contest). You can only use it like every 5 years in Geoegia. It really depends on the state you are in.

"The benefits of a Nolo plea on a Georgia Traffic Ticket could potentially be that no points are assessed and it may make it harder for a car insurance company to become aware of the infraction. Please note a Nolo plea never prevents a commercial disqualification.

Additionally, a No Contest Plea is not an admission of guilt and cannot be used in a civil case against the defendant as an admission."

Seeing we don't know where you live or where you got the ticket, you will need to check for yourself.

You will still have to pay the fine and possible court cost though........

http://www.gainesvillegalawyer.com/georgia-nolo-nolo-contendere-no-contest-plea/

#11 ·
For that matter, plead temporary insanity! Tell them you just left your bitchyassed, runny mouthed ex-wife's place and didn't even remember driving away because you were so pissed and focused on the number of ways you could cut her thick head off with a butter knife. They'll understand.

#13 ·
For that matter, plead temporary insanity! Tell them you just left your bitchyassed, runny mouthed ex-wife's place and didn't even remember driving away because you were so pissed and focused on the number of ways you could cut her thick head off with a butter knife. They'll understand.

:iamwithst :hammer::hammer::hammer:

#14 ·
haha thanks for the responses and the laughs, I am from canada here. I want to go to court and atleast try something since i have nothing to loose here. The deadline to pay it is 7 days before the court date, do i need to pay and then go to court, or not pay it and appear in court?

#18 ·
DONT PAY!!!

1st of I am hoping she was your ex was girlfriend not wife :).
2nd - 3 houses a way - where the frig in no where land Canada do you live. I walk 3 house way :)

My wife used to be in traffic court all the time before she went to criminal court. I awlays got of my tickets because she knew all the cops and would speak with them beforehand and then they would not show for the court date or I would take a lesser offense outside of court.

For you. on the ticket there should be a place where you plead:

Guilty, guilty with explanation, or not guilty. Tick not guilty and take your ticket to the courthouse to set a trial date (usually about a year out where I live in Toronto). On the day of your trial get there early and try and find out if the ticketing officer is in the courthouse. If he is not and your case is called and he isnt in the room you case will be dismissed as he/she is not there to tell their side. Be aware that sme cops love their court days and others hate them.

If they are at the courthouse, ask to meet with them prior to court going in session and a lot of times they will work out a lesser charge for you (i.e. minimal fine $ or no demerit points) it still hits your record though...When your case comes up the cop says you have agreed to a lesser charge and the judge says great. If the case continues w/o you talking to cop before your only hope is a lenient Justice of the Peace who might reduce your charge for you.

Were you doing 25kms over in an 80 zone? Was ticket about $200.00 bucks? If so you should easily be able to get that down to something like 10K over. One other thing you could do but I dont think its worth it for 1st ticket is go to legal aid/x-copper type of guys for help.

It won't ne your last btw :). Unless you start riding like ahh umm...the legal way and we all know thats just about impossible to do all the time on an R1.

#20 · (Edited)
Plead not guilty to 25 over , but guilty to 14 over which is 1 km under the 3 points. ive done it 3 times. Just fine and no points.The courts just want there cash. THEY DONT GIVE A RATS ARSE ABOUT THE POINTS. Im in Toronto. Set the court date. Pray the cop dont show and plead not guilty. If cop at court he will probably not object to pleading to a lessor speed. 14km over whatever the speed limit is. Courts are catching up last time i went about a year and a half ago. Took only 3 months till court date. Good luck.

#24 ·
I cant think of a road in Canada that I have ever been on that does not have a posted speed limit. Also in every city you are usually greeted with a sign that says "unless otherwise posted the speed limit is 50 KM an hour.

So as far as I know we have no Prima facie speed limit.

#25 ·
I was doing 125 in a 100 zone, and as i said, EVERYONE even the cops drive 120 there, i had 2 seconds not paying atention and got caught at that momen. I was coming back from my ex's because i still had some stuff there :lhumper:

I am definatly going to plead not guilty and try to fight it, How do you get to court though? since i have to deadline is before the court date. Dont pay it and go straight to court?

#26 ·
I was doing 125 in a 100 zone, and as i said, EVERYONE even the cops drive 120 there, i had 2 seconds not paying atention and got caught at that momen. I was coming back from my ex's because i still had some stuff there :lhumper:

I am definatly going to plead not guilty and try to fight it, How do you get to court though? since i have to deadline is before the court date. Dont pay it and go straight to court?
Why don't you either
1) call them and ask what the process is?
or
2) look online?

:shake

#29 ·
I would look at the specific code/law the officer cited you for. Research it by the book and plan a defense to it. Its really going to depend on that, whether there is some legal defense to it by precedent or by a technicality. Additionally, depending on what tactics you deploy like continuance, subpoena for information, etc, you may be able to plead the case down at the very least to a lesser offense.

#34 ·
I would like to not have to go in court since i dont really have any acts that prove i wasnt doing the speed mentionned.

Only thing i could use/say is that i was going dowhill and didnt see my speed for two seconds, also bringing my driving record to show how clean it is ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.