Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

How to remove gas cap key tumbler

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  fjorn 
#1 ·
i just found this...
http://chriskraftphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/6857496_tZkUY#438587590_ALtb5
wanted to share it. It is showing a Ducati, but my 99 R1 was exactly the same. The only addition was that there is an O-Ring and a small collar that you have to remove from the bottom before you can get to the retaining clip.
I also dont have the special tool that is shown, but i used a snap blade knife extended, and the blade was more than strong enough for the job.

#2 ·
Thanks! I have a two different keys, one for trunk one for gas cap. Dealer said they couldn't change the new tumblers to match when the other cap went faulty. I will give this a shot myself now!

#4 ·
I would think you could take it to a locksmith and have them re-key it. :dunno

#7 ·
Why not just put a keyless cap on? Unless you park in areas you can't see the bike...

#8 ·
i took mine apart because the key would not go in all the way, but it would still unlock. turns out that the slots were bent from a previous owner, and they would not slide out of the way to allow the key in. so with a hammer and screwdriver, i got them all out. The lock still looks untouched, and the little piece that slides over to cover the opening still functions, so i have a keyless cap - it just looks like you need one.
google made it cheaper than having a locksmith do the same thing for me.

#9 ·
I'm using a different key for my ignition/gas cap and trunk. So if I get a new lock from Yamaha, can a dealer or locksmith cut the tumblers to match my main key??? anyone got this done before????

#10 ·
Yep, a locksmith should be able to do it for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.