Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

00-01 R1 Starter Solenoid Relay bad?

20K views 8 replies 10 participants last post by  bratt 
#1 ·
today i had my r1 running fine.

anyhow, i unpluged the battery while the bike was on.
when i pluged the battery back in the lights flickered because of the contact touching flickering. now the bike wont start?

I was wondering if my starter relay was to blame.
i used a test light and theres power on 1 side but not on the side that leads to the starter. on the battery side its hott with power.

How do i test this to make sure its not my run switch or my kickstand. do i short those 4 wires.

any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
Yeah, so i touched both battery leads from the starter relay and the starter started turning. so i know its ither the relay is bad, or the start button is not working. i dont know how the RUN button starts the relay. it seems all the wires are hot when the key is turned to the on position.

very confusing

#6 ·
dont short all the wires on the relay! :)
there are 2 small contacts and 2 bigger contacts on the relay.
the 2 small contacts are getting 12V from the battery when u push the start button .
this makes the other 2 bigger contacts to short between them , which brings the +12V to the starter.
check if theres 12V between the 2 smaller contacts when u press the start button.

#8 ·
Does the bike turn over at all? You can bypass the side stand switch by following the wire up to the connector and completing the circut on the bikes side like with a paperclip of small wire. But if it stopped working after you were messing with the terminals on the batt I doubt that is it. If the bike isn't turning over at all you can bypass the solenoid by arching the two contacts on it with a crappy screw driver or something you don't care about. It will probably spark pretty good so watch out.

#9 ·
oh yeah the bike will turn over if i arch the two contacts on the starter relay. the bike will not start though. it will turn for a long time but im affraid of burining out the starter so i dont do it way too long.

anyways i tryed to short that kickstand wire and it sparked and shorted something. im too frustrated at this point. im going to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.