Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

What lightweight rear rotor are you using?

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  M1k3YD 
#1 ·
Contemplating which one to buy for my crossplane. What do you have, how much was it and how much weight did you save if you know? Thanks for any suggestions.

#6 ·
I've always gone with Galfer....only because they seem to be the easiest to get used. Not sure on the weight savings, but by feel, it's noticable - turn that into rotating mass = worth it (for a race bike anyway).

#13 ·
90 bucks is a good deal honestly and i'm sure its a pretty decent turn around time too.

#20 ·
This rear rotor is Titanium and just weighs a few ounces . Have to use organic pads so it wont wear out .
I got it about siix years ago from Yoyodyne for a decent price and it was the last one .
Looking into having one made out of Aluminum next . Will weigh next to nothing . Then hook up one of Thorsten Duhrbans mini caliper setups that hides behind swingarm . Cant even see it from the side .

Attachments

#21 ·
I asked Yoyodyne.. they said no.

ISR custom facility, cheaper than you think. 4mm thick, full of holes, all good.

Between the GBmoto rear caliper and hanger (there is lighter and posher, but GB moto is the best bang for buck) the disk, drilling the rear bolts, re routing the brake line, filing the rear master cylinder, switching to aluminium clevis blah blah Well over a kilo has gone.

Now if someone has a spare 10 to 15 grand... I have an excellent way to spend it :sing:

#22 ·
The Thorsten hidden caliper setup is cool, but heavily limits the rotors you can use from what I've seen. RC guys have had a ton of issues with them, when swapping rotors. That ti rotor is sweet. I have a machinist friend, might just have him lighten my stocker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.