Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

What have you done to your R1 this past week?

1M views 12K replies 922 participants last post by  JLUnlimited 
#1 ·
Share the fun stuff you did with your favorite mistress.

Last weekend, I finally got around to something that was nagging me for a while. When I went to make right hand turns, I couldn't put my weight on the outside peg and lean as much as I wanted to. Turns out the peg knurls were all gone from over 8 years of riding. :scared

I moved around the worn out pegs of my Gilles rearset, swapped left for right to get the knurls to bite into my boots. Forgot what a pita they are to get access to. :mad:

Also couple bolts were seized. Bought some extractor bits but that didn't work. :rant:

I heated the frame and that wouldn't bulge. :flame:
I took a mini grinder disk to my dremel and made a big phillips head and I still couldn't torque it out. So I got my biggest screwdriver and hammer. Finally, got the top bolt to go. :chair:

The 2nd one still wouldn't bulge. Went back to the dremel and ground off most of the bolt top. Then it finally came out. A simple 10 minute job took 2 hours of cursing. :crash

Replaced all 4 bolts with stainless bolts this time. In the end, took a short ride up in the nearby hills. And all is well. :riding:

See less See more
Reactions: jheywood
#1,023 ·
My opinion is it draws attention. It's one of the first things I notice when looking at the rear of the bike. If that's what you're going for then I'd say leave it. If not...well..you get it :lol

Again, my opinion, ditch it. It looks too good to put that sticker on it :yesnod:

#1,039 ·
No major mods this week, but after nearly 3 years of owning my 09 R1, I finally got the suspension set up and tuned. I know a lot of you guys are big proponents of tuning and setting up the suspension, but I never could have expected it to make such a difference in feel, turn in, braking etc. in short it inspires new confidence. Makes all my other performance and cosmetic mods seem secondary to a well set up suspension.

#1,040 ·
Stripped my 98 down and put her in track clothing and got on the track for the first time in over a year, for a 14 year old bike she still goes well, the new set of brake pads made a great addition when it came to stopping power :)

Found it little down on power though as not used to revving the tits of bikes anymore and at her age I gotta treat her keen.

#1,049 ·
I washed it lol

#1,054 · (Edited)
This is what I did to my 2002 black frame fuel injected R1 - This was all done last month -

New BMC Air Filter
New NGK Spark Plugs
Removed all the fairing and gave it a nice wash and polish
New DID Heavy Duty Gold Chain
Front 15 / Rear 45 JT Sprockets
Coolant Flushed & Replaced with Motul Coolant
Oil & Filter changed
Speedo Healer
Hel Race Brake Lines front & rear
Changed the Brake Fluid
Changed the Brake Pads to Brembos
GI Pro Gear Indicator
New Michelin Pilot Powers front & rear
Dyno - Custom Mapped on a rolling road using PCIII

Now I have just about enough money ( I think) left for fuel to ride her :confused:

#1,056 ·
Where's the PICS!!! :2bitchsla

Polished and waxed the new bike, got a new Rear Mitchelin Tire installed at Big Boys Toys at the Henes Mall. BTW Their prices are GREAT ......
DITTO!!! :2bitchsla :2bitchsla

#1,055 ·
Polished and waxed the new bike, got a new Rear Mitchelin Tire installed at Big Boys Toys at the Henes Mall. BTW Their prices are GREAT ......