Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#5,848 ·
Glad you enjoyed it.

#5,849 ·
Oilfield/Tad

hi guys, finally the winter is over , or almost, is snowing right now.
I had a chance to rode my bike for a little, I was using a old map from last summer. so I decided to install the map from Oilfield and Tad......... I can go to fast or use more then 2nd gear, is cold and still some ice on the ground specially in the morning, but for now the bike feel a new bike, much better then my panigale. just heavier for now.
I have a question, I don't really have time to go back and read all forum, work, kids and getting ready for Austin in three weeks: I have dynojet O2 sensor installed with autotune lcd screen etc etc I zeroed the map turned off autotune for now, the question is How I set map bias? a little confused.
Thanks Fabio
your map is awesome thanks, I will ride from Aspen to Austin in two weeks,
Forza 46!!!!!

#5,851 ·
hi guys, finally the winter is over , or almost, is snowing right now.
I had a chance to rode my bike for a little, I was using a old map from last summer. so I decided to install the map from Oilfield and Tad......... I can go to fast or use more then 2nd gear, is cold and still some ice on the ground specially in the morning, but for now the bike feel a new bike, much better then my panigale. just heavier for now.
I have a question, I don't really have time to go back and read all forum, work, kids and getting ready for Austin in three weeks: I have dynojet O2 sensor installed with autotune lcd screen etc etc I zeroed the map turned off autotune for now, the question is How I set map bias? a little confused.
Thanks Fabio
your map is awesome thanks, I will ride from Aspen to Austin in two weeks,
Forza 46!!!!!
I been running my bias at 50% gives you a decent mpg while cruising but gives your motor what she wants when you pull her hair back :p

#5,854 ·
AFR for fuel efficiency is different than power. If you want fuel efficiency, I would suggest trying Elwin's map, as his is allready tuned for 13.5. Oils map is closer to 12.8.

#5,855 ·
Yours is more smooth, I like it more. I have the possibility to run different map on the fly. So I have yours in the ecu, and I will set autotune for a little higher AFR, around 13.4/13.5, and build a pcv map for use in highway. I really don't care about mpg, but for 2400 mile trip I can save money for a beer.....
I rode a little today, I will sell the Ducati, and with that money I can buy on more r1 and build this lighter!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5,856 ·
let me know what you get for tunes, and I can incorporate them.

#5,857 ·
Tad, ran your map and have trim files set to 12.7 AFR. One thing I noticed is that the throttle response is much more to my liking in A mode which is the mode I used to creat Bazzaz trims. The engine breaking in A mode was horrific between 10-14k rpm where when I used the STD mode it was much better. How can I get throttle response of A mode with the map along with the engine breaking reduction I feel in STD mode? Should I reflash with any slider adjustments or will that screw the map up?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5,862 · (Edited)
Tad, ran your map and have trim files set to 12.7 AFR. One thing I noticed is that the throttle response is much more to my liking in A mode which is the mode I used to creat Bazzaz trims. The engine breaking in A mode was horrific between 10-14k rpm where when I used the STD mode it was much better. How can I get throttle response of A mode with the map along with the engine breaking reduction I feel in STD mode? Should I reflash with any slider adjustments or will that screw the map up?
I tested just this region today, after you sent this. As best as I can tell you end up with the same ammount of engine braking in this region in all three modes. I ran, first gear up to 13K and let the throttle snap back, and in all three cases coasted back to about 5K. In all three cases I experineced the same amount of engine braking. This is because the timing controls the amount of engine braking here, and at throttle close, they all have basically the same amount of timing and fuel, because the TPS is about the same.

The issue I found I HATED with A mode was when you pick the throttle back up, the bike would leap forward. between 5-7K. Above 8K is was smoother to get back on the throttle if you just roll out then back on. I think I can fix this but it will take me some testing. I will try and blend the bottom of the STD mode map with the top end of the A mode map for a sort of hybrid type of quick turn throttle map. I hope that it can be more linear down at low APS, and then turn up off the 1:1 line.

I will test if that helps the issue, but it will take me some time. For now though, STD mode is really nice. That is what I have focused my time on, and it has payed off thus far. I will now work on A mode.

I also tried the new Tad/ Oilfield map today on a longer ride and was really impressed. The engine braking is just perfect, and this is the smoothest map, especially off/on, that I've tried yet. The top end power is really great too compared to the previous (Peen V2) that I was running.

The only slight issue I had was my bike not liking the fueling at low RPM. I had it die on me while blipping the throttle or taking off from a stop at least 4 times, so I may see if I can adjust some of the values to improve that behavior.

Other than that really minor complaint, it's an absolutely fantastic map!
This is an odd issue. Do you have the OEM O2 sensor installed? If so, what load bias setting are you using. I have not seen this issue, but you and one or two others have said that at idle their bikes don't idle fast enough. This may well be the differences from the factory setting valve clearances and cam timing from bike to bike. I can copy in a stock fuel and timing map, right around the few cells near idle and see if this fixes the issue for you guys...:dunno after that...it is a works fine on mine, so in princeapal it should work fine for you issue....in pratcie not as much as one might expect:lol....I will see what I can do..

hmm Tad wonder if you could tweak these for us...

thats two people now with simalar issues, i know you like your lumoy idle but could you perhaps set the base for us at a the std idle and not lumpy so it doesnt stall out or die at no throttle, although i suspect that by had dialing in your engine breaking has caused this problem at the low rpm range..

would that be a fair assumption?
It has nothing to do with anything I did, because I did not touch that section. That is how it was when it came from Oilfield, it worked great on my bike so I left it alone :dunno. I will get with Oil and find out if he made any changes.

That happened to me too, two time, but only when the bike was not warm enough, after that is the best bike I never rode in 35 years.
Glad you liked it.

yeah but the suggestion of 4 times.. seems to think the bike was warm enough?

Will wait and See what Tad has to say
Sorry had a busy day, and logged some 50 mi...:riding

#5,858 ·
I also tried the new Tad/ Oilfield map today on a longer ride and was really impressed. The engine braking is just perfect, and this is the smoothest map, especially off/on, that I've tried yet. The top end power is really great too compared to the previous (Peen V2) that I was running.

The only slight issue I had was my bike not liking the fueling at low RPM. I had it die on me while blipping the throttle or taking off from a stop at least 4 times, so I may see if I can adjust some of the values to improve that behavior.

Other than that really minor complaint, it's an absolutely fantastic map!

#5,859 ·
hmm Tad wonder if you could tweak these for us...

thats two people now with simalar issues, i know you like your lumoy idle but could you perhaps set the base for us at a the std idle and not lumpy so it doesnt stall out or die at no throttle, although i suspect that by had dialing in your engine breaking has caused this problem at the low rpm range..

would that be a fair assumption?

#5,865 ·
10-4. I think I can work on that.

#5,867 · (Edited)
I looked at the fuel and timing values for Oil's and Peen's tunes, and they are very similar. I will copy in Peen's values, to see if that helps folks.

Though I think the major break though of the day came with this plot.

I plotted the high RPM YCC-T maps for A and STD mode.

The kink at low input APS, I think is what is causing those on-off-on shutters. I also noticed that the curve was not very smooth. So I went in and did some function fitting, and used a polynomial at low APS and a logarithmic function at high input APS to generate the new A mode curve.

I still need to take a spin with these tweaks in the bike, but so far I have high hopes. Once I get this test ridden, I will report back. I will wait to post this new tweaked ECU image until Soultrain has gotten me the trim values, so we can fix that all in the same update.

#5,870 ·
Oil, yep thats what I saw. I can work a more stock idle back into the map, no problem.

So, as for the A mode update. I took it for a quick spin....and all I have to say is I have never been able to ride that smooth with A mode...but there is still an on-off-on issue below 4k RPM...like less than 20 MPH. So on the track it would probably be fine, but street is still could be an issue in traffic.

#5,872 ·
I think I managed to make A mode even better, but we will see what SoulTrain Has to say, before I release it.

#5,874 ·
i got the goods from Nels @ 2wheeldynoworks, and i've personally referred 4-5 other riders and they all had the exact same experience
as me... no bullshit, not wasted time, straight up, all options, rides like a dream, all D-mode maps are beautiful... sitting at 158rwhp! :fork
he even flashed a Canadian model R1 and the member is still on here! happy as a clam with his '12 LE, even retained the factory immobilizer function :fact

I have never personally dealt with FT.
imho, its not how you run a business.... communication is your life-line..
Tad - how is it ECU unleashed can keep the Immobiliser function but FT cant?

would be interested to know when you ask the question next time you are emailing FT, about if and when the immobiliser function will be able to be kept, and if they say they cant why they cant but others can.

#5,875 ·
Tad - how is it ECU unleashed can keep the Immobiliser function but FT cant?
Without proof I would take his claim with a grain of salt. Even when you flash it with flash tune, the immobilizer still flashes and go blinky blinky making you think it's still active, but cut a new key or drill the chip out of your original one and it still starts ;)

-Jamie M.

#5,879 ·
In other news, i figured out how to convert a Bazzaz map into a PCV map, using a spreadsheet I built. I will send the new image back to soultrain to test to see if it fixed the few problem areas.

As it turns out, it is not as simple as copy and paste. Bazzaz uses less RPM bins and more TPS bins, and PCV uses fewer TPS bins and more RPM bins. So I took a shot at it, and applied the changes. Hopefully it works well...:fact

#5,880 ·
Well done Tad. I've asked this question few times so far with no response - about the opposite - how to implement a pcv map into Bazzaz? And then from Bazzaz to F-T.. :dunno

#5,881 ·
Yea, the real question is, how it fill in the missing data? We will see how the Bazzaz auto tune likes these changes. If all the values are basically a few percent, then my hack around worked. If there are still cells with large corrections in the places where the PCV map does not sample, then I need to go back to the drawing board...:dunno

#5,882 ·
i also had the dying at idle issue when i did mine the first time. I thought it could be that I disabled the AIS but left load bias at stock, so the O2 sensor was still working. The O2 sensor will then try to tell the ECU to inject less fuel at that time since it senses less oxygen and thinks the bike's running too rich.
The second time i changed load bias to TPS/RPM, but didn't disable AIS, now the bike idles perfectly.

#5,883 ·
When the bike is in TPS/RPM it does not matter if the AIS is disabled because it does not use the O2 sensor.

#5,888 ·
It does, but it leads to popping/flames in your slip-ons, which is not so good for your pipes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.