Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#10,353 ·
Seems like if we have the older version of the software (prior to 2.1.0.0) and we disable the internet connection, then the software works as it did before, allowing us to flash as many different ECU s as we wish.

I haven't tried to flash with the 2.0.1.4 I have yet but at least the program opens and loads maps as before without needing an internet connection.

#10,354 ·
consider yourself lucky you read this prior to opening program, cuz it would've updated itself. hopefully that keeps working for ya.

but tige hooked me up and took care of the situation. have to give up the unlimited ecu flashing, but for me that wasn't a big deal. at least i'll have an interface to get my bike running again.

#10,357 · (Edited)
What a mess... I have no internet acces in my garage so does it mean I cannot flash my bike /or any other ECU/ anymore? And what about re-selling my interface when I'm done with r1? I have their latest interface with bike-side programming harness and updated software 2.0.1.4 /done at home few days ago/.

Attachments

#10,359 ·
i'm not sure why that'd be necessary for em. seems like you use internet the initial time to marry everything together and establish the licensing, but after that, as long as it's the same ecu, internet not required. that seems like it'd make more sense. sct and diablo manage to do it just fine, not sure why ft can't. i've never done it, but having option to flash away from home/internet is nice.

#10,360 ·
I don't post here much, but follow the FT thread on the R6 forum pretty closely. But I will say:

What a crap ass way to do business.

For the people that spent their hard earned money on the (not so cheap) interface prior to your business model change should be grandfathered in. There should have at least been some sort of communication indicating this change, and steps that people can take to trade in their old units for a new one, at no cost to the customer. Why? Because we've invested money in your product and your company. Yes it will cost you money, but hopefully your smarty pants finance people and CEO that thought of this brilliant idea crunched the numbers to figure out that yes, with this business model of 1 interface to 1 ECU, you should make more profit and eliminate people offering cheap/free flashes.

Flash Tune, you don't have to outright say it, but you basically just gave a big "**** you" to all your existing customers. Thanks.

#10,362 ·
they are essentially destroying a product that you've purchased.
agreed. but i think the people that sold flashes to others using their interface took advantage of the situation. which ended up driving flashtune out of business. ft-ecu has to change or they won't survive either. just business. they worked with me, so i'm happy now. but it's the folks selling their flashes that are gonna be affected the most. or those that have multiple bikes covered by same interface.

#10,363 ·
I have been emailing the guys at Ftune..
I must say the fast email responses and willingness to help find a Viable solution for me in regards to this change, has been far better than ever before....i'm happy now.
I will miss the freedom the previous harness gave me but if these guys are going to push the software forward and add new functionality to a program that had not moved forward for some time i'm back onbord and will start making some new tunes...:)

#10,364 ·
This is just wrong on many levels how do they sabbatoge a product because they want to limit or should I say all together stop people from flashing multiple ecus when they promoted the product as being able to do just that ? I have not received a call back from them and highly doubt I will ! I have 2 crossplanes I flash with one interface then Another interface I do my r6 and used to do my 08 with and it's just ridiculous and wrong and I still can't think this is legal , had anyone figured a way around this yet ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#10,367 ·
Yes you should be fine.

If you don't want to have to worry above keeping your internet disabled, follow the steps I mentioned above. It will keep your computer from contacting their server to get the latest update and business will continue as if you have no internet connection as far as the ft software is concerned.

#10,371 · (Edited)
The instructions made by r1-murica are good!

Another IMPORTANT NOTE:
Never plug your old cable while you are running the new software from FT!

THE NEW SOFTWARE FROM FT WILL DESTROY YOUR CABLE!!!
Windows will not be able to recognize the cable - EVER.

WOW - Not only does FT deletes an legitimate installation on your hardisk, BUT they ALSO destroys a legitimate working cable!
What a hostile way to change their business model!

They should refund money to people for the old product.

EDIT:
Even more amazing that Chuck Graves support this business practice calls the deal from FT "a bargain"!!!
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

I wonder what would happen if Yamaha made all old R1's stop when they launched the new in 2015....?
This is exactly what FT are doing...

If you want to use your old cable then ALWAYS use the old version (upto version 2.0.1.4)!

EDIT:
Even more amazing that Chuck Graves support this business practice and calls the deal from FT "a bargain"!!!

#10,375 ·
Got it working i didn't update so i thought you just had to update the manifest but you still have to use the launcher from the folder.

If you didn't update you have to update the manifest and create shortcut from the folder to launch to stop the update check. I'm on win7 and that's what worked for me anyways.

Thanks for this work around r1-murica, you rock!

#10,376 ·
You guys should talk to em and at least give em a chance to work things out. Who wins if a suit forces them out of business?

#10,377 ·
Hey Boss, you should Email them they helped me out straight away..a new unit is on its way.
You say a new one is on its way; did they charge you $100 like others have mentioned?

Wouldn't you agree though that they shouldn't destroy your device and then say they'll trade you for a new one (for $100) that isnt as capable as your old device? By this I mean you can only flash one bike instead multiple bikes. The fact of the matter is that they should allow the old software to still function with the old hardware and just not offer anymore updates for it. Eventually people would like the new features of the newer software or hardware and at that point they would upgrade on their own.

#10,378 ·
I paid less, I'm assuming he did too. Contact em. Give em a chance to make u happy.

The way its working out is better than if they started a new business instead of taking over flash tune. Then EVERYONE would've had to buy new units.

#10,381 ·
#10,383 ·
remember who you talked to?

i had to complain until tige responded. seems like he's the boss, or at least one with power to sort it out.

#10,384 ·
I had a pretty positive interaction with them last week.

Although I wish the existing units continued to be supported, I understand that the old company's business model was (obviously) not sustainable and they had to change. Honestly, I felt like them offering the new interfaces for a significant discount wasn't a bad option considering the situation, and I went away pretty happy.

Hopefully they are able to move forward with some great new features as a result of the re-structuring.

#10,385 ·
new interfaces out for delivery! :idhitit:

not to shabby since it was shipped friday from california.

#10,386 ·
Just a heads up to anyone whose cable was destroyed, I am working on a fix to bring them back to life. If you have some free time to try some things and don't mind testing/troubleshooting/documenting over email send me a PM and we will go from there.

Also, if anyone has a cable that FT broke and they'd be willing to ship it to me (I have like $10 in my paypal I can send to help with shipping), I could test things a lot quicker/easier and hopefully get a fix for all of us with broken cables who don't want to trade it in for a new cable.

#10,387 ·
So tieg called me I explained to him as far as buying another unit goes u have me by the balls he apologized repeadily explained the situation and yes obviously we all have enough common sense to know they could not survive with everyone and there mother flashing ecus so fast forward to now I was promised all this additional features like data logging in real time and blah blah blah but managed to get another unit shipped for very little money in comparison to the headache standing my ground would've cost me ! Not happy but that's nothing new and let's be real this product would have evolved I to somthing crazy had they been able to actually make some money with it that's not his words there mine it's common sense ! Let's see if he's real and if what he says is going to happen with the additional features sucks I can't flash multiple bikes without paying for it but my main concern is my build above all else !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#10,390 · (Edited)
so the new interface is working, took a few back and forths with support to get registered email sorted.

with the new software, which setting adjusts idle? i just want the warm up idle to be a little higher but can't tell which setting to adjust. obvisouly i looked at the warm-up idle setting, but not sure what number to make each box. not really sure how to read the chart.

also, can i use 09+ ycc-t maps on my 08? i want my flash to be from the new software, but tad's is from the old. i tried manually changing the map, but the axis labels aren't exactly the same. no one seems to have put out an 07-08 map using the new software version.

#10,392 ·
so if your fix works, will my old box still work even if i'm now using the new interface?

#10,393 · (Edited)
Everything I have shared is purely informational including this post

If the fix works the newer software would not work but... if someone with knowledge of the system could edit the code it very possible to make custom software that did exactly what the new software does.

EDIT: No reason you couldn't use both interfaces but you'd have to use the older software of course and not allow it to update

#10,394 ·
First of all, I'm not affected by the changes that FT did to the new software because I have the new interface. And because of that, maybe I don't have a say in this. But I need to speak my mind!
I do feel for those who have the old interface no longer supported and the ones with more than one bike of their own that they use the interface to flash the ECU's with. But... FT's former business model did not work. Especially when people (and companies) were taking advantage of the poorly designed business model by buying one interface and flashing everybody's ECU's, not to mention the companies that use FT's interface and software to offer anybody, who's willing to pay them, a flashed ECU. Pay a small fee once and sell it as a service a thousand times without FT's knowledge. Is that not like stealing? Something had to change!
I do think that the way FT handled it wasn't the best way to handle it, they could have given some kind of warning and maybe a period to phase out the old interface.

I for one are looking forward to new features and software updates. And that can only be done through a healthy business model with enough money coming in to support the continued development. Software development is not cheap and requires a steady hand. Not enough money and we all could risk buggy and dodgy software that could ruin our ECU's.

The way that FT is handling 1 interface -> n number of ECU's now, as I understand it, with an additional license per ECU is a good way to tackle the dishonest companies and workshops.

I do apologize if I have upset anybody with the way I'm thinking! But we all have a say, right?

A special thanks to Tad158 for the many hours he has put in to tuning the maps and helping people out. Keep up the good work!

And lastly, thanks FT for an awesome product but please be gentle with the way you treat customers going forward and try to make up with the irritated community.

Best regards and happy biking!

#10,396 · (Edited)
Pay a small fee once and sell it as a service a thousand times without FT's knowledge. Is that not like stealing?
If I buy an OBDII and diagnose people's car problems for a fee is that stealing? There bad business model is costing them and they're asking us to pick up the tab...

it's def not stealing. their selling point was to be able to flash multiple ecus. people definitely took advantage, though, by selling that feature. i always viewed it as a personal use thing, for those with multiple bikes.
THIS!

Even for people doing it for money it was still not stealing just a bad business model by FT.

What I read is FT made a terrible decision in letting us flash as many as we want and as such we should pay to grow with them. Problem with that is I bought a product and was told before I spent my money I can flash as many bikes as I like and then later told, oh we change our mind so pay us money to keep using the product only its limited now.

My stance is still that we should be grandfathered in. If they have such amazing features coming we will upgrade by choice.

FWIW I bought mine for my bikes, not to make money.

Woolich is the way of the future, FT realized this and tried to change their business model to match in one quick change. Make mistakes pay the consequence.

#10,395 ·
it's def not stealing. their selling point was to be able to flash multiple ecus. people definitely took advantage, though, by selling that feature. i always viewed it as a personal use thing, for those with multiple bikes.

#10,397 ·
I only just found this forum but too late it would seem.

I went to use my older FT box on my R1 ECU, its been working ok, but after the software update it killed my box?!?!

This is totally not ok, i dont care if the business model has changed you dont just nuke your existing customers and maliciously destroy their property forcing them to buy a new product (even if it is discounted).

The box is not even recognized by windows now and this only happened after the new software connected to it. This leads me to think that they have intentionally damaged the box so it is unusable?!?!?!?!

I would go as far as saying this is a criminal offence?

#10,398 ·
How many times is someone going to post "they had a bad business model, couldn't make any money and was going under"?

How do any of you know this or even know how much money they were actually making lol?

Someone else bought the business, felt no obligation to honor prior commitments and simply decided to change it to make more $$$$. Its as simple as that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.