Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

My 2000 R1 Project

19K views 148 replies 53 participants last post by  Spyrious 
#1 ·
Here is a pic of my '00 R1. Right now I'm changing it into a naked/streetfighter bike. The bike has swing arm extension, lowered, '03 rear shock and some other goodies. The paint is BMW Interlagos blue.

See less See more
#2 ·
write a nice how too.

#5 ·
Went with my bike to a local custom car and bike show. Just finished it the day before

In the last pic the new overflow tank for the radiator is visible. When you take the fairings of an r1, there is an ugly plastic tank underneath. So i made one out of aluminum, cut the filler neck of the old one and epoxied it into the new tank, and wrapped it in carbonfiber.

On the left side by the radiator, i rerouted the wires to the inside, so they come out thorugh the middle of the frame by the steering neck. Then i modified the bracket for the horn and it now sits sideways between the radiator and frame.

#9 ·
So I decided to change the rear of the bike a bit this week. Took the muffler off and made a new one, now it's under the bike. Then i cut the subframe and welded a new cross bracket in and brought up the lower subrame rail. made a new tailsection in fiberglass, re using the undertail and the lights. I'm gonna make a different one later on, with LED lights, but for now this is not bad. Still trying to figure out what to use for mirrors though.

#12 ·
Looks much better with the new tail and exhaust!

#13 ·
Very nice!!!

#16 ·
Changed the seat a bit. Little different shape and different mounting tabs. I also made a new front fender and brackets. Went old ,old schoool, with fender mounted license plate, like they had it way back in europe. Instead of licenseplate, I just use a carbonfiber plate with my shop name on it.

#22 ·
So today I installed the new clip on bars I got a while back. They have a slighlty different angle to them. And since the stock ones were mounted under the tripple tree, I had a lot of weight on my wrists, which was especially hard on my right wrist. I can't bend that wrist as much anymore due to a bike accident some years ago.
So I had thought about putting the new clip ons on top of the tripple tree, which would fit nicely, since the bike was lowered 2inches . And intsead of mounting them downwards, I flipped them upside down and put the right one on the left and the left on the right side. Kinda like a superbike handlebar.

Rode the bike 30 miles around town and home and already love the way I sit and how much less weight I have on my wrists.

before:

after:

The whole swap took about 2 hours and is pretty straight forward. Had to reroute some lines, make a longer bracket for the brack reservoir. To take the old clip ons off, the fork legs need to be dropped down quite a bit, which is not so bad if you have a lift and can hang the bike in the air, but on the ground with a jack it is probably a bit tricky.

#26 ·
Time for a little update. The bike is undergoing a complete transformation this winter, with hardly anything that's not being redone. The goal is a meaner, lighter bike.

As far as mods go here is a list of some of the things,
back to stock length and height
06 fork
lighter wheels (pvm or marchesini, have to decide)
new rear frame, single tubing ( rund one in pic is just for mokup)
seat pan
led tail lights ( round ones, with carbon housing)
battery was relocated into frame, same with the electronics
new shape, carbonfiber tank
new, custom shaped airbox,carbonfiber
air intakes into airbox, carbonfiber
head light housing/fairing with led's and projector light
superbike style handlebar
new brake/clutch levers
new rear sets

the whole bike will be black (painted black and carbonfiber)
probably keep the exhaust as is, it just sounds to good

here is a pic of it's current state, after shaping the airbox and working on the shape of the tank, so i can make molds and make the actual carbon parts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.