Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

What have you done to your R1 this past week?

1M views 12K replies 922 participants last post by  JLUnlimited 
#1 ·
Share the fun stuff you did with your favorite mistress.

Last weekend, I finally got around to something that was nagging me for a while. When I went to make right hand turns, I couldn't put my weight on the outside peg and lean as much as I wanted to. Turns out the peg knurls were all gone from over 8 years of riding. :scared

I moved around the worn out pegs of my Gilles rearset, swapped left for right to get the knurls to bite into my boots. Forgot what a pita they are to get access to. :mad:

Also couple bolts were seized. Bought some extractor bits but that didn't work. :rant:

I heated the frame and that wouldn't bulge. :flame:
I took a mini grinder disk to my dremel and made a big phillips head and I still couldn't torque it out. So I got my biggest screwdriver and hammer. Finally, got the top bolt to go. :chair:

The 2nd one still wouldn't bulge. Went back to the dremel and ground off most of the bolt top. Then it finally came out. A simple 10 minute job took 2 hours of cursing. :crash

Replaced all 4 bolts with stainless bolts this time. In the end, took a short ride up in the nearby hills. And all is well. :riding:

See less See more
Reactions: jheywood
#1,766 ·
Installed Renthal clip-ons, not as easy of a task as I thought. The sweet brake res bolted up nicely. :D
I'm about to do this. What problems did you encounter?

BTW that res looks great. That, the levers, clip-ons...sweet looking cockpit. :yesnod

(Rage fan huh? I didn't know there were any of us left lol.)

#1,767 ·
Well… Not the past week.. But recent –

*CRG Levers
*Vortex Rear sets
*Chain & Sprocket Kit
*Black Axle Blocks
*New Axle Adjuster Bolts
*GiPro X-Type Gear Indicator
*Pro-Bold Sprocket Nut Kit
*ATE Superblue Brake Fluid
*Spiegler Front & Rear Brake Lines
*Evotech Rapid 1/4 Gas Cap
*Tygon 3ft Hose w/Honda Cap
*Reverse Illumiglow Gauges
*H7: Morimoto Elite HID System
*Rizoma Front Reservoir
*Rizoma Reservoir Bracket #CT450
*Valter Moto Pre-Load Adjusters
*Morimoto Elite HID System
*Full Graves Exhaust

:fire:fire

Next -

PCIII or PCV & V-Stacks

#1,768 ·
#1,777 ·
Well I had a couple things on my to-do list, and then this beautiful bit showed up in the mail by way of Harris Performance in the UK...

Love those guys... :fact

So I got started this afternoon while letting my son go HAM on his power wheels...

-Installed Ti rotor bolts to go with the Galfers

-Added a 5mm Graves shim to my Ohlins shock

-Installed the Brembo Lever & Harris Perch

The usual wash and lube...

-Ordered up more parts to compliment the new additions :shake :lol

Do the mods ever end?

:no No.

#1,780 ·
I took my friend to the dealership to purchase a brand new(12) R1, while I was there- I ended up buying myself a Full Graves Low Mount Exhaust- now I have to figure out how to get rid of the Yoshi TRC-D and mid pipe without the wifey knowing I spent $1400 bucks.....hmmmmm conjuring up plan to do switch-a-roo. I can see how it's going to go now," Hunny- your thingy that makes the sound isn't underneath your tail no more...?"
Reply," You are imagining things baby, it's always been underneath the peg....now hurry up and hop on damn it!" Lol

BTW, those with the Low Mount- how do u like it? Thanks.

#1,788 ·
Just finished installing my Ohlins shock and Forks
Installing the shock was easy. It took about 20 minutes. The forks, not so much due to me wanting to extend them to match the stock length as they were 10mm shorter out of the box.

I also installed my lightech gas cap and a few TI bolts on the tripple clamps.

#1,789 ·
That ish is looking good brotha! :thumbup Any shots of the whole bike with the updated parts on it? :fact

What did you mean by the forks were 10mm shorter out of the box? The stroke??

#1,794 ·
#1,795 ·
I had 2 surgeries on my foot in the past 40 days and had 30 days off work and 30 more for the 2nd surgery so i have been kind of down...but here is what i have done when i can in the mean time:

1. 14-16 over swingarmnew (underbraced, PCed, holds 200 psi for air shifter)
2. smog block off plates(still in the works)
3. chromoly rear axle
4. powdercoating handle bars, rear pass pegs, axle blocks
5. new chain (170 link)
6.plate relocator with lights
7. oil my bmc filter
8.exup eliminator, this is harder than thought unless im over thinking it, i know your just plugging a plug in but theres more to it to clean it up

to come:
1.carbon fiber or hexis cf wrap on lowers and ram intake
2.oil change
3,spark plug change while doing smog block off plates(any suggestions on plugs?)
4. fresh flash with my FT module

I wont be back on my foot until late may, any one in the jacksonville , nc area that wants to come over and help come on!

You guys take care

#1,801 · (Edited)
Spring is coming :fire so I've installed some new pieces too: Gilles Variobar clip-ons, Lightech gas cap, Motion Pro revolver kit, Renthal dual compound grips (had to shorten throttle tube approx 7mm), Dynojet LCD-200 unit, black Dzus fasteners and also Motografix stickers on new '13 nose.. Waiting for my renntec rack :sing:

Attachments

#1,804 ·
i love my throttle kit from motion pro! nice mods! let me know how those fasteners work for ya!

im outside puttin my block off plates on !!!

#1,811 · (Edited)
Track prep done for April 7th!!!

Huge thanks to:
John Sharrard of Advanced Technologies: http://www.acceltechracing.com/
Superbike Supply: http://www.superbikesupply.com/mm5/...20-yamaha&Category_Code=520-conversion-yamaha
Amsoil, Ktech, All Balls Racing.

Out with the forks!

OMG where'd they go??

Yep, they is missing :(

Found them!

Ewwwww, look what drained out of them!!! Original 2007 fluid :( And can you believe, 25MM too much fluid in each fork!!! No wonder I was getting chatter under heavy braking!!!

Ohhhh pretty! Ktech adjusters, re-valved, new springs, motul full synth fork oil, polished fork tubes, all balls new seals, all balls new scrapers, removed hydraulic bump stop for more overall travel. Mostly for my future reference: Hard bottom out = bottom of o-ring touching top of red line. Soft bottom out = bottom of o-ring 17mm above fork mount base (exactly in the location pictured below). K-tech compression set to 16 clicks, set less (clockwise/screw in) if reaching soft bottom out. For street use set to around 22 clicks. Clicks are counted from full clockwise/screwed in, count clicks counter clockwise/screwing out.

Now onto the rear, it's missing too!

Found it, ewww ugly sprocket...

That's starting to look better. Driven 16t (-1) front sprocket:

Rear put back together. Drive Systems USA ultralight steel sprocket (47t/+2) and EK MVXZ 520 chain (two-tone gold/black):

Upon re-installation of the forks John found that the head of the front axle was out of round, oval shaped, due to previous over tightening of the pinch bolts. He put it in his lathe and re-rounded the head and polished the entire axle. Now it's not pinching the forks together when you install the axle like it was before!!! No tools required, just slips right into place!!!

Can't wait to test it out!!! Forks are SOOOO smooth, just like silk, I've peen pushing on them lots, can't wait to ride with em

-Jamie M.

#1,812 ·
I added some more of that beautiful Lacomoto carbon, you can find more details in my build thread. :thumbup

I've got more goodies coming in still. :sing: Hopefully my stickers for the bellypan show up soon as I don't care for the way it looks without them. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with the way it's turning out. :thumbup