Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

What have you done to your R1 this past week?

1M views 12K replies 922 participants last post by  JLUnlimited 
#1 ·
Share the fun stuff you did with your favorite mistress.

Last weekend, I finally got around to something that was nagging me for a while. When I went to make right hand turns, I couldn't put my weight on the outside peg and lean as much as I wanted to. Turns out the peg knurls were all gone from over 8 years of riding. :scared

I moved around the worn out pegs of my Gilles rearset, swapped left for right to get the knurls to bite into my boots. Forgot what a pita they are to get access to. :mad:

Also couple bolts were seized. Bought some extractor bits but that didn't work. :rant:

I heated the frame and that wouldn't bulge. :flame:
I took a mini grinder disk to my dremel and made a big phillips head and I still couldn't torque it out. So I got my biggest screwdriver and hammer. Finally, got the top bolt to go. :chair:

The 2nd one still wouldn't bulge. Went back to the dremel and ground off most of the bolt top. Then it finally came out. A simple 10 minute job took 2 hours of cursing. :crash

Replaced all 4 bolts with stainless bolts this time. In the end, took a short ride up in the nearby hills. And all is well. :riding:

See less See more
Reactions: jheywood
#2,270 ·
After spending two weeks straightening fins I finished last night. Now I just have to figure out to hook this up. I've never run across this before, the pressure cap is mounted on a remote container which has three nipples coming off. The radiator itself has the normal upper and lower hose inlet/outlet but there is a single nipple coming off the radiator where the cap would normally be. I originally assumed the can was just an overflow reservoir but now realize it's actually part of the radiator system as there is no cap on the radiator. The remote reservoir had a clear hose coming off a nipple on the neck which I assume goes to the overflow reservoir. The system also contained two Samco hoses that I now assume come off each of the reservoir nipples. Anyone seen a system like this before?

Before...

After...

Before...

After...

Remote reservoir can before...

After...

#2,271 ·
One hose goes from the rad into the top of the remote res, another hose goes from the bottom of the remote res back to the system, and the third port is the overflow hose, which should be after the cap.

Radiator looks sick Chris :bow

#2,275 ·
One hose goes from the rad into the top of the remote res, another hose goes from the bottom of the remote res back to the system[/B], and the third port is the overflow hose, which should be after the cap.

Radiator looks sick Chris :bow

Thanks Chris, I assumed the nipple on the radiator went into the res but where does the lower hose on the res go back into the system? I figured the clear hose at the top went to an overflow.

#2,273 ·
Chris, what did you use to straighten the fins? Looks good.

#2,279 ·
Thanks Ian...I only spent about 40 hours doing this with an assortment of tweezers and a steak knife. :crash

You couldn't go for more than a couple hours at a time before the hand cramps up and you felt like you've been looking at one of those optical illusion pictures. :eek:

#2,287 ·
just did the airbox mod, Graves smog block-off plates, and cleaned my wheels lol.

#2,301 ·
Call me ignorant or uneducated, but how the hell can a ceramic bearing lower combustion temps to any significance :confused: Oil temps...sure I can see that. But combustion temps :lol Maybe I'm thinking about it incorrectly

#2,306 ·
my god that pic is awesome... i used it as my background. thanks

#2,304 ·
#2,310 ·
I just got these in the mail today.

New (used) Forks with AK20 internals. Set up for 190lb rider. Penske Rear Shock also set up for 190lb rider. Also a new (used) ECU for me to send off to get flashed. Fun times.

Now I just have to put the shyt on the bike.