Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

What have you done to your R1 this past week?

1M views 12K replies 922 participants last post by  JLUnlimited 
#1 ·
Share the fun stuff you did with your favorite mistress.

Last weekend, I finally got around to something that was nagging me for a while. When I went to make right hand turns, I couldn't put my weight on the outside peg and lean as much as I wanted to. Turns out the peg knurls were all gone from over 8 years of riding. :scared

I moved around the worn out pegs of my Gilles rearset, swapped left for right to get the knurls to bite into my boots. Forgot what a pita they are to get access to. :mad:

Also couple bolts were seized. Bought some extractor bits but that didn't work. :rant:

I heated the frame and that wouldn't bulge. :flame:
I took a mini grinder disk to my dremel and made a big phillips head and I still couldn't torque it out. So I got my biggest screwdriver and hammer. Finally, got the top bolt to go. :chair:

The 2nd one still wouldn't bulge. Went back to the dremel and ground off most of the bolt top. Then it finally came out. A simple 10 minute job took 2 hours of cursing. :crash

Replaced all 4 bolts with stainless bolts this time. In the end, took a short ride up in the nearby hills. And all is well. :riding:

See less See more
Reactions: jheywood
#2,315 ·
Got my Sato link installed tonight. It was much easier than I expected, and the whole process was < 20 minutes. I wound up using jack stands on my clutch sliders which worked very well. I have a stock shock that I've setup to have a pretty good feel.

I started with ~9.5 mm of ride height increase, measured from the swingarm (using the rear chain guard bolt as a reference) to the clamp bolt on my Leos. For the link itself, stock center-to-center length is ~178 mm and my initial trial wound up being 175 mm. Adjustments on the bike are incredibly easy (under 1 minute to tweak).

Initial impressions: Wow!!!

The bike requires significantly less effort to turn and to maintain a line now, and line adjustment while cranked over is so much easier. I was tossing it through corners on my little test route with much greater confidence than before.

I think the rear preload/damping may need to be adjusted to work optimally, but overall I can't say enough good things about this mod - It feels like the bike lost 40 lbs in terms of effort to get it through a corner. For the price, I can't recommend it enough.

#2,320 ·
Removed the Rearsets and shift/rear brake levers, had them powder coated black. Also ordered the 09 Set of engine bolt replacements from probolts in flat black as well. Also swapped out the heel guards for a nice set of carbon fibers I picked up!!!

#2,323 ·
Nothing! God damn nothing.
i wish i could say the same thing, though I agree on the PARKED and going nothing but staying dust-free :yuk:, waiting on shims to get here... will check tomorrow n' see where we're at...

i'm too busy during the week now to really work on it, so i'm 2 weeks away from Road-ready.. i'm totally fine with that.. the weather has been too unpredictable.. crazy april showers are at it as usual. :nopity:

picking up a set of these puppies though :finger

#2,322 ·
New wind screen plated and numbered ready for the track.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Attachments

#2,337 · (Edited)
150 mile ride, went on my favorite loop ride. Right where it starts getting good I came up on an accident scene where a cruiser pulled out without looking and took out the CBR. Ironically the cruiser guy got the amby ride downhill and the other just stood there waiting for the tow truck to appear. Scrubbed off some rubber, gonna need some takeoffs shortly :D.

Attachments

#2,354 ·
#2,347 · (Edited)
Well - it hasn't just been this past week. More like this past winter. I bought the bike about a year ago from the original owner - bone stock. Here is what I have done starting about November.

Starting up front
A little carbon from Magical Racing - from forum members. Mirrors and windscreen
Galfer Rotors front and rear
Ti mounting hardware for the rotors
Galfer Lines front and rear
Galfer 1375 pads front and rear
Evotech fluid reservoirs front and rear
Lightech axle sliders front and rear
Renthal Clip ons
ASV levers
Motion Pro revolver
D3 grips (which are on their way out)
Scotts damper
new Renthal gearing 16/46 and Ek chain
Annitori RL quickshifter
Attack rearsets
Gilles adjusters with GP lifters
Gilles axle nut
Akropovic Evo II full Ti system (shorty cans)
Ohlins TTX shock

Hiding under the seat
PCV
Autotune
Speedo DRD

There are a few other small odds and ends, but that was the majority of it.

Attachments

#2,349 ·
Not yet. It's on my short list for this year. I have the software downloaded - just haven't spent enough time going through it and reading the detailed threads on the subject. I know I want to remove the factory restrictions and change the fan temps, but that is about as far as I have gotten.