Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Mechanically Retarded - Fitting Sato Rearsets 2010 R1

3K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  burn-z 
#1 ·
I must be very special as I can't work out for the life of me what the pivot for the shifter lever screws on to. See the pic for the bit I mean... Where the heck does this screw onto the bike?!? :D

Cheers.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I didn't install these but I can ask my friend in the morning how they fit on there. This is where it goes though...

Attachments

#8 ·
Right, got the sprocket cover off after finding that little bastard of a third bolt holding it on... By the looks of your pics, it attaches to the bit where the swing arm is bolted onto the frame, but I haven't got a hex driver big enough to take it off.

Do you know if that big hex head is a bolt or a nut? If it's a bolt, then I think I'm missing a part, if it's a nut then I can see that it would work.

Hmmm. Should have left this to the pros I think :)

#11 ·
PJ, the bolt that the pivot point of the shiftter is mounted to.....is that a bolt head or a nut on the side of the shifter?

I know on my 08, it was bolted up just like that, but the bolt head was on the shifter side, so I had to slide the whole bolt out and put it in from the other side so the nut side was on the shift side.

When I did this the motor shifted and I had to loosen all the other motor bolts (thanks Meister) to get it back into position. Not a big deal but confusing if you don't know what oyu are supposed to do.

Just to clarify, if this bolt revers thing is the case, your pivot of the shifter will thread onto this reveresed bolt and replace the nut.

You are not doing anything with the swinger pivot.

Bob

#13 ·
Ok, it all makes sense now. Thanks guys. So yeah, it does screw onto the swingarm pivot bolt, and yep, the nut it on the other side (stupid me didn't even think to look there).

I think I'll get the shop to do it - I can see myself ending up with detached swingarm :dundun:

#22 ·
Cant believe how much time i just wasted today trying to fit these Sato Rear sets to my 12. Why oh why would Sato use a main fram bolt as a pivot for the shift weight? How on Gods green earth are you supposed to remove that bolt and then place it back in from the rear?? Will the shop even know what to do with this?? I wish i had just taken advantage of Motomummy's Gilles rearsets blow out and gone for a set of them instead. I had Satos on my 01 and they were EASY to fit! So ticked right now, I just put everything back and covered up the bike as i dont even want to see her! I even broke a hex key that i had never even used before on that frame bolt! WHY SATO WHY???

#24 ·
Not while there in the box there not Ben. Man i'm so ticked! Why didn't i go for the gilles or even the Rizoma's. Ben even if i could get the bolt out(which i'm sure a shop could) i cant see any way that it can be refitted from the back of that same hole!

#25 ·
It's really not as bad as you think. If you look on the right side of the bike (rear brake side), you will see the nut that is attached to the long bolt. This is the lower motor mount bolt. Once you remove the nut, slide the bolt out of the hole and insert it from the right side of the bike (I didn't have any problems with the motor shifting when I did mine). Then attach the round part from the rearset instead of the nut. The reason Sato does it this way is so you can remove the kickstand and the attachment bracket (for the racers out there). With the stock rearsets and other aftermarket brands, you have to leave the kickstand attachment bracket in place. I hope this helps.

#26 ·
That has helped A LOT! Thanks. I was trying to undo the bolt from the outside(hex key) side and broke the hex key! I didn't know that there was a nut on the other side and i didn't realize that this is a LONG bolt which goes from one side of the bike to the other. I may go and try it again in a couple of days but i'm still licking my wounds right now lol!
Cheers!

#27 · (Edited)
I didn't realize it was that way until I loosed it. It's tight, so just be prepared.
To remove the brake light switch, first unplug it, then slide the plug through the opening above the clutch cover (the open area just above the oil filler cap). Then work the wires back and down between the engine and frame. It's a tight fit, but with patience they will come out. That's how you remove the O2 sensor too.
If you plan to use the pressure switch that comes with the rearsets, you'll need to clip the wires and attach them to the wires on the switch. When you install the switch on the master cylinder, you have to bleed the rear brakes.
Good luck with the install.

#28 ·
Thanks again man, i'm gonna go and look at the brake side now to see which nut it is. I totally missed this, It would have been great to have had this in the instructions!
Mike

I didn't realize it was that way until I loosed it. It's tight, so just be prepared. Good luck with the install.

#29 ·
Good work Ziggy, good luck Mike! I hope you get them sorted. :thumbup

#30 ·
You guys are AWESOME, i'll get it done and post pics. I just got my ECUnleashed and Y pipe and it's been raining constantly all weekend so i havent even had a chance to try the bike yet! I thought i'd make use of the time and fit some of my parts but this whole weekend went to crap and i should have just stayed on the couch with a brandy and some movies!
Mike

#32 ·
Yeah Ziggy helped me out a TON here! It's because of him why i didn't just abandon the whole install lol. Cheers again Ziggy.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.