Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Cooling Fans kick on

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  mrconfident 
#1 ·
So I've been riding around on my 08' and noticed that a few times when I go to turn off the bike the fans turn on, I would turn the engine off but leave the key in the on position for the bike to cool down. Does this kill your battery? Are you supposed to let the fans run for a while before taking the key out? I noticed that once the bike gets to around 217-223 degrees this is when the fans kick on, I've asked a similar question in the past but was unable to give specifics till now. So any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

#3 ·
Yup...fans are triggered by the thermostat...you have the electrical system on, so the fans are still triggered when you hit the kill switch. Since the water pump is not on and circulating coolant, your engine heats up (it's actually the hottest time for most engines, immediately after you shut them down) a bit after you turn it off. Your fans kick in as normal cooling the coolant down. This would be beneficial if the bike was running, but since the water isnt' circulating, you just cool the water off in the radiator and that's it. They are electrical, so yes, it will drain your battery, but not dead unless you have a weak battery.

#5 ·
No.

Like I said, the only think you cool off is the fluid in the radiator. Since the water-pump is not on, nothing cold is going through the motor.

Your car is the same way.

#6 ·
So this is something normal that happens all the time? It is safe to turn the everything off and park the bike? There is no reason to leave it on since the only thing that is being cooled of by the fans is the water?

This happens to me quite often and I am not sure what to do. I know this happened to my friend with a 07' also and he would leave his bike on till the fans turn off "engine off but the fans still running" just the other day his bike wouldn't turn on because the battery died so we had to jump start it. I don't want the same thing to happen to my bike, so any more input on how to maintain would be great.

Thanks everyone

#7 ·
For the third time...just liek ever water cooled engine in the world...it's ok to turn them off when you are done riding. I have only left the fans on when coming off the track and the engine is just damn hot 240 degree's..but that's just rare and I dont' kill the motor, I leave it idling till she cools and then turn it off.

Some people don't even have fans on their bikes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.