Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

How to wire your cooling fans on a switch easily

23K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  R1_OOKLAH 
#1 · (Edited)
I found a way on 07-08 R1's to wire the cooling fans on a switch so you can turn them on when you want and they will still turn on and off like on thier own like stock.

All you need is:
1. a couple feet of wire
2. a switch
3. a eyelet
4. 2 female spade connectors
5. a wire tap

First you need to remove your left side mid fairing to gain access to the fan relay. The relay is the black box, that is to the right and just below the fuse box with a 4 wire plug going into the bottom of it and thats all.

Next, out of the 4 wires leading into it, one will be green and yellow. This is the wire that trips the relay and turns the fans on. Take a piece of wire long enough to run from the green and yellow wire to where ever you want to mount your switch and use the wire clamp to clamp the wire for your switch to the green and yellow wire.

Now find a good ground. You can use any ground. I used the ground behind the windscreen that is for the instrument cluster. Run a piece of wire from the ground you chose to the location of the switch. Connect the wires to the switch with the 2 female spade connectors and your done.

Turn the key on and flip your switch on. The fans should come on.

Sorry for no pics. I did this today out of boredem. It turned out well though, so I decided to make a write up about it. Should be simple enough without pics though.

See less See more
#38 ·
I ran the green/yellow wire to 1 prong of the toggle switch then ran a separate wire as ground to the same spot the gauge cluster is grounded too and onto the opposite prong on the toggle switch.
I checked the fuses for left/right fan. neither are blown. and like mentioned I undid everything and set back to stock. any ideas?
Im probably gonna undo the running light mod too since I did that this morning too...but didnt mess with any wires other then running light and blinker wiring. but just to check

#41 ·
What is the running light mod, and did you run anything from that mod to the same ground.

That error code seems to me like maybe you shorted out the temp sensor, and now that fans will be on all the time since the bike cant tell the temp, just a guess.

Maybe you turned the ground to a hot in combination with the running light mod, that could have burned out the temp sensor.

also maybe its possible to tap the wrong side of the relay? also causing the short in the sensor.

#43 ·
do you have a copy of the service manual. I do but i need to run too work like 2 minutes ago. Killa cali has a new thread that someone posted a link anyway.

If you put everything back to stock and the error code is still there, either find the fuse for the sensor, or the sensor itself to check. the sm will have it in there.

should be fine to ride since the fans always on, just watch the battery dont die on ya.

#44 ·
haha yeah Im the one that posted the link for it. I found out what was causing the issue after going thru and checking everything. It was the SpeedoDRD that I installed before I did the running light and fan toggle switch mods. I took out the SpeedoDRD and the error code went away. I've got a post for CoreyGSX about the issue to see if the SpeedoDRD is defective or if I had it wired in the wrong spot. Thanks for the help man!

#47 ·
the Speedo DRD works fine now. evidently there is another connector hidden lower buried in a bundle of cables covered with a rubber protector on the 09's haha. So its up and running now. sent an email to 12oclocklabs and within the hour they were callin me back...on a sunday. thats damned good service there!

#57 ·
ok so I'm going to attempt this again. the first time I tried it i thought I shorted out something. Got that taken care of...it was a blonde moment on my part haha. But I also wanted to find a better switch. Now I found one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12V-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

But I want to know how I can wire this in with an LED light thats built into the toggle switch so it lights up when I turn the fans on. Im not an electronics genius but I can splice wires and crimp....cant solder haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.