Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Wrapping My Pipes

3K views 48 replies 8 participants last post by  DemonRider 
#1 ·
Well after getting my license back I finally took the bike to the dealer and installed all the equipment I have been buying while I was off the road.

Pazzo Levers (Shorty)
Integrated Tail light
Rizoma Rear Sets (fricken awesome)
Rizoma Fluid Reservoir (front & rear)
Rizoma Racing Grips

With all the gear on board, I decided to remove the stock heat guard from the right side. Once removed, the bike had an immediate racing look but something was just missing. After standing back and taking a look at the bike I come to the conclusion that I was going to wrap my Akro Full System.

I was just wondering is any of the Aussies had done this mod and if they knew of a place where I could buy said material
Wish me luck

#3 ·
Just incase you've never done it before.....

You'll need (1. razor blade or sharp as all fvck off knife, 1. Scissors, 2 Hose Clamps, 4 Beers, 1 Swear Jar.)

You can start at either end of the pipe it doesn't really matter, but I've always started at the engine end of the exhaust so that's the end I'm talking about. BTW many people will tell you for FACT that wrapping will fvck up your pipes, but that's bullsh!t, it's not going to, it might reduce the life of your pipes by 10 years, but the life expectancy of your pipes is about 30 years anyway and I don't think you'll be on the bike in 30 years so don't bother arguing the point.

There's a flange on the pipe, don't take it off, I was told not to take it off and I don't know why "don't take it off". Old Drag racers from the 50's are mean vicious cranky bastards, when they yelled at me not to take it off I didn't argue.

Start your wrap as close to the engine end of the pipe as you can. Use one of those screw on hose clamp jobbies to secure it. Go once around the pipe with the wrap then secure the clamp(to start it hold your thumb on the wrap and go round until you get the wrap back to your thumb). The clamp will have a screw thing on it so make sure you locate it away from the header bolts or your going to have to start again, that will suck so pay attention.

I use the same technique for wrapping bicycle handle bars as for wrapping engine pipes so same applies here I guess. When you start wrapping the pipe overlap the wrap and make it tight, really tight. When you wrap the next pass make it about 75% over lap (I wish I had pics) if you have 3 cm wrap make the overlap 2.5cm. Most wrap has a stitched seem use that as the marker for were the leading edge of the overlap will be... The bends are going to send you mad. Get over it. Take your time, you'll get there. (or send it to me and I'll do it for a fee. :lol :finger)

When your wrapping the pipe stop ever couple of inches, including after every bend and twist (like giving a chinese burn) the wrap, it'll make it tighter. You'll feel it grip, when it stops slipping, move on.

The wrap should go "Hose clamp/one continuos wrap/Hose clamp" Just remember where the screws on the hose clamps are or you'll have to remove the wrap and restart in order to make it fit.

Make it pretty.

Cut off the left overs with the scissors. Then use your blade or knife to cut off the wrap as close to the outside edge of the clamp as you can get. Looks good. Just make sure that everything is TIGHT. The Clamps, the Wrap, everything. You don't want it coming loose.

#6 ·
Will do mate, just gonna give her a wash today as see what i can do.

yeah mate autobahn,
i got some to wrap mine but my brother needed it for his bike, so needless to say its now on his bike, ill give you a hand if you want ;)
Thanks for the offer mate, but as stated in previous post I'm not that mechanically sound. I'm just going to get someone to do it for me cause i'm the kinda bloke who would tear it apart, and have 2 bolts left over.

#11 ·

I have a friend of mine who works as a sheet metal worker and i am getting him to copy the heel guard and break fluid braket so that i can painted the black to suit the overall look i'm going for.

Once again, not happy with the Rizoma original braket. Gonna get another made up and painted.

This is what I'm not too sure of. As you can see the pipe stand out alot, making me think that i need to wrap it
Also sorry for the small pics. I dont know how to attach pics in full size.

#19 ·
Dude, it's pretty simple. Do you want the function of the wrap or no? You'll make a few HP with the wrap, and if you do it correctly it'll look awesome, if you don't do a good job it'll look shithouse.

Most Ti systems look the business and as far as Bling goes it's about as bling as it gets. But the benefit of Ti is that it's light. Once you add the wrap you'll kill the weight saving of the Ti system.

#20 ·
Wow, by the sounds of it I need to make a decision here...

I personally don?t like the look of the bike as it is now. Something about an all black bike and purple metal with n it just doesn't seem right. But if I'm gonna sacrifice performance then I may as well just put the original heat shield on it and be done with it.

But honestly I'm really leaning towards the wrap

#29 ·
Well I've come to a decision.
I'm going to get the pipes wrapped, and painted with black thermal paint. All i need to do is find a place where i can buy it.

Petrol, how many meters do you think i will need, to cover the pipes from the headers to the cams?

Also just want to thank you guys for all the info you have provided and with putting up with my constent questions.

#30 ·
I hope you mean, from the headers to the CANS. In that case, I'd go with 35 to 40 meters of the 6cm wrap. It's always good to have more than you need than less than you need. I don't think you'll get someone (a shop) that'll do it for you though mate, so you'll have to call in a favor from a mate, or have someone give you a hand.

If you mean, from the headers to the cams, you don't want to go about heat wrapping the internals of your engine, it won't work anymore.

BTW - as CO of the 190 I am here to help. I don't know it all, that's BluR1, if you've seen his bike, you know what I mean, but I've modified enough motorcycles(4) and Cars(6) to know how to do a few things to engines and exhausts. I'm no McCoy Motorsport, or West Coast Choppers, shit I'm not even a DJR :lol, but I've bolted on so many performance mods now I'm happy enough and confident enough to give any exhaust wrap, ecu(especially being a qualified computer engineer), suspension install, undertail install a go. If I can help, I will, if I don't know I'll tell ya that too..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.